Monitor Trouble

Tmt97
Go to solution Solved by Axeonelite,

It started at the recommended resolution, and it had a problem with that one too. Graphics card is an xfx radeon 7950, although I havn't had a chance to install drivers for it yet. It's actually a TV, I just called it a monitor as thats what I'm using it as. Its a  new samsung, but I dont know much more than that about it.

You need the drivers then for it to work. Use THIS for Windows 8 32 bit   Or THIS for windows 8 64 bit 

Straight from the AMD website.

Ok, so I got windows 8 installed and now I have a problem with the monitor it seems. It's getting video signal just fine, but the edges seem to be cut off. I can only see the top half of the taskbar and start button. Not really sure how to fix this. Any insight is appreciated.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Wow you can't catch a break tonight man! Haha I'm assuming you already tried adjusting the resolution from Display in the Control Panel?

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Wow you can't catch a break tonight man! Haha I'm assuming you already tried adjusting the resolution from Display in the Control Panel?

Lol, I havn't been able to catch a break since I built the machine. xD I tried changing the resolution to a couple different ones, but I'm not too familiar with knowing what the correct resolution I need for my monitor. I havn't really had to do this in the past, so I'm still a bit of a massive noob.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Try going in into the control panel and see what it says your monitor is. Also what Graphics card are you using (if any, also if you said prior I forgot haha sorry)? See if it says Generic PnP VGA Monitor.

Like this : 19971d1379267526t-generic-non-pnp-monito

If it shows like this you need to update your drivers. Common problem in new windows installs

Spoiler

Lol, I havn't been able to catch a break since I built the machine. xD I tried changing the resolution to a couple different ones, but I'm not too familiar with knowing what the correct resolution I need for my monitor. I havn't really had to do this in the past, so I'm still a bit of a massive noob.

Haha that's fine. It should show a "Recommended" resolution. If not just use your phone or something and google what resolution your monitor is. 

Spoiler

Haha that's fine. It should show a "Recommended" resolution. If not just use your phone or something and google what resolution your monitor is. 

It started at the recommended resolution, and it had a problem with that one too. Graphics card is an xfx radeon 7950, although I havn't had a chance to install drivers for it yet. It's actually a TV, I just called it a monitor as thats what I'm using it as. Its a  new samsung, but I dont know much more than that about it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You need the drivers then for it to work. Use THIS for Windows 8 32 bit   Or THIS for windows 8 64 bit 

Spoiler

It seems to be installing now, thanks again!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It seems to be installing now, thanks again!

OK No problem! Let me know if it fixes it for you. (It should!)

Spoiler

OK No problem! Let me know if it fixes it for you. (It should!)

Ok, so I got the drivers installed, and I rebooted. The recommended resolution after installation was even worse, and completely cut off the start menu, and two thirds of the taskbar. I brought the resolution down the smallest amount it would let me, and now Its fixed. I can see the taskbar and start menu. One problem though, the color seems to be off when I change to that resolution. Everything looks slightly grayer. Like some of the saturation is gone...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Ok, so I got the drivers installed, and I rebooted. The recommended resolution after installation was even worse, and completely cut off the start menu, and two thirds of the taskbar. I brought the resolution down the smallest amount it would let me, and now Its fixed. I can see the taskbar and start menu. One problem though, the color seems to be off when I change to that resolution. Everything looks slightly grayer. Like some of the saturation is gone...

Hmm... Weird. You can use windows color correction for it a bit I guess but other than that I'm not sure. :( Sorry. Maybe this guide can help? Anything beyond that is beyond me. I had the same issue on one of my older pc's after installing windows 7 and it would never fix, I had to reinstall my OS while connected to the internet. 

Oh one other thing is run ALL your windows updates.

Spoiler