Good computer component shops in London, UK?

Anyone who lives in the UK knows that Currys & PC World's selection of computer components is diabolical.

The only shop I know that actually stocks a decent range of parts is Epsilon PC on Tottenham Court RD but their prices are sky high.

I went in the other day and they were charging £360 for a 6700K, equivalent to $530USD

Of course I could shop online but it's just not the same as having an actual store where you can speak to people..

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyone who lives in the UK knows that Currys & PC World's selection of computer components is diabolical.

The only shop I know that actually stocks a decent range of parts is Epsilon PC on Tottenham Court RD but their prices are sky high.

I went in the other day and they were charging £360 for a 6700K, equivalent to $530USD

Of course I could shop online but it's just not the same as having an actual store where you can speak to people..

Talking to people - Forums

Best prices and such - Online shopping (Try CCL, Ebuyer, Dabs, etc. Look on PCPartPicker UK for the best prices)

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

speak to people on the forums

not the people in currys.. its awful they are so stupid

get them online

scan.co.uk

overclockers.co.uk

dabs.co.uk

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

get them online

scan.co.uk

overclockers.co.uk

dabs.co.uk

Used to work in Currys myself. There are tech savvy guys in there, but the managers seem to think that having tech savvy guys selling tech is a bad thing, and instead have them selling fridge freezers and kettles. They don't want us to "confuse" customers with "jargon", but want us to sell insurance, setups, cloud services etc. in any way possible. There's a reason I left after just a few months.

Back to the original question, everything in the UK seems to be online tbh, I know Game now have overclockers stock in some stores, but unless you find a great indy place, that's about it.

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

Used to work in Currys myself. There are tech savvy guys in there, but the managers seem to think that having tech savvy guys selling tech is a bad thing, and instead have them selling fridge freezers and kettles. They don't want us to "confuse" customers with "jargon", but want us to sell insurance, setups, cloud services etc. in any way possible. There's a reason I left after just a few months.

Back to the original question, everything in the UK seems to be online tbh, I know Game now have overclockers stock in some stores, but unless you find a great indy place, that's about it.

its so frustrating.. 

and its crap anyway they only sell razer gear ..

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

its so frustrating.. 

and its crap anyway they only sell razer gear ..

As I left they had started stocking some Corsair and Logitech stuff, but the only good (i.e. mechanical) keyboards were Razer yeah. Everything was all about add-ons, I mean it didn't matter how much the system you sold was, they didn't care, they only cared about the add-ons. 

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

There's Maplins. but it's overpriced. Try Aria.co.uk or Scan

I always think of Maplin as that place you go to in emergency need of a SATA cable or something. I actually got most of the parts from my 1st system there, but only because I got a friends staff discount :P

As I left they had started stocking some Corsair and Logitech stuff, but the only good (i.e. mechanical) keyboards were Razer yeah. Everything was all about add-ons, I mean it didn't matter how much the system you sold was, they didn't care, they only cared about the add-ons. 

I'd be interested to know how the department selects which components they stock. Is anybody there actually clued up on what's "trending" in the custom pc sector? I live very near one of the largest Currys/PC World megastores and they don't even stock processors and there is a choice of about two motherboards...

Who's in charge of this!!!!?

Edit: They only sell CX series PSUs as well.. :(

I'd be interested to know how the department selects which components they stock. Is anybody there actually clued up on what's "trending" in the custom pc sector? I live very near one of the largest Currys/PC World megastores and they don't even stock processors and there is a choice of about two motherboards...

Who's in charge of this!!!!?

Edit: They only sell CX series PSUs as well.. :(

Simple reason really: They don't want the business. They only want stuff that they can sell add-ons for. The one I worked at stocked a couple of ASUS ROG boards and CX PSUs, with the odd SSD and some GPUs up to a 960, and of course no CPUs. They're more interested in selling a piece of junk thrown together by HP, Lenovo, Acer etc and charge you extortinate amounts for aftercare, anti-virus, cloud services and to set it up for you.

Not even a SATA cable. They tried to charge me 4.50 for one. And that was discounted...

If time was of the essence, I'd pay it tbh.

I got my GPU from a currys megastore near Wandsworth Bridge and it was priced well. Not sure about the other things though

I got my GPU from a currys megastore near Wandsworth Bridge and it was priced well. Not sure about the other things though

That's my store :P

Simple reason really: They don't want the business. They only want stuff that they can sell add-ons for. The one I worked at stocked a couple of ASUS ROG boards and CX PSUs, with the odd SSD and some GPUs up to a 960, and of course no CPUs. They're more interested in selling a piece of junk thrown together by HP, Lenovo, Acer etc and charge you extortinate amounts for aftercare, anti-virus, cloud services and to set it up for you.

If time was of the essence, I'd pay it tbh.

I just find it ridiculous that it's called "PC World" yet lacks even the most basic parts to build a computer :[

@CGurrell

Customer: Sorry sir, do you sell cases for computers?

PC World: No, you can use the ******* floor.

Customer: Hello, um do you sell processors?

PC World: You wot m8, this isn't a computer store..Use your brain for a processor,..

Customer:Hey there, do you sell any other PSUs apart from the Corsair CS Series?

PC World: What's a PSU?

Customer: (Power supply)

PC World: ahh, you only need these ones. The CX750 is all you could ever need anyway.

Customer: So is this your range of motherboards? (ROG Board and B150 board)

PC World: Yeah, as long as we've got a red one it'll cover everything anyone could possibly ever need,

(Sorry, I don't know why I pieced this together :P)

I just think it's a little ridiculous to name a shop after something which it barely sells :P

Around London, you wont find any good stores, here is what I know:

Currys/PC world - They stock only a few components such as old outdated graphics card, saw a 670 recently, the top of the line that I saw was a 960 and we all know that's not any good. I have never seen a processor or motherboard in their stores, found Corsair CX series PSU, some RAM, Corsair water coolers for the CPU such as the h40 and thats it. They do stock peripherals though such as a range of mice and keyboards including Logitech' gaming series as well as Razer, Corsair, mouse mats etc. 

Game - Since they partnered with Overclockers, you wont find any of their stuff in stores around London at this time since its mainly out of London game stores I think.

Maplin - Here you can find GPU's, case fans, Cases, Cheap RAM, good RAM, HDD, Cables, mice, keyboard - Pretty much alot of stuff except prepared to be anally raped due to the prices they sell these components at. 

Your best bet is going online, if only overclockers opened a retail store in London. 

get them online

scan.co.uk

overclockers.co.uk

dabs.co.uk

I can vouch for both dabs and scan .... I have used them both before. Built my last computer using parts from Scan and can highly recommend them.

Spoiler

My Rig {TEAM RED} --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX590 8GB PSU: Novatech Powerstation V2 500w Semi Modular 

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: Adata XPG 16GB 3000mhz Storage: Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD + 1 WD 1TB Blues

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05   Cooling:  AMD Raith Spectre RGB  Monitor:  Benq XL2420Z

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion SPECTRUM  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SPECTRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like some people have suggested, seek guidance and support in these forums and then find the parts online.  You can also lurk on HotUKDeals to see if what you're after is on sale somewhere.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Maplin and other similar places are good if you just want to get your gear from a physical store, but I've never once found a staff member who knew his stuff technically. A few I have met who are techy minded were in the job long enough that they knew their expertise was generally a wasted/lost cause - the majority of the shoppers who go in want dirt cheap and aren't usually interested in a quality performance orientated setup.

I am guilty of only buying gear from actual shops when they have stuff on sale or if it is a gadget like the 3 Chromecasts I bought at Currys which is priced the same online at somewhere like Amazon.

Independent stores are the only way you're going to get the experience of going to a shop and talking to someone who knows what they are talking about and how to accomodate your individual needs; the prices however are likely not going to compete with online. Just don't go to these places for the advice and then like a total douche, order online. I worked in retail and was very, very well versed on computing along with hifi/home cinema. I had the few customers who would come back to our store and deal with me and no one else for everything they required which had a plug on it (that is another way of saying anything electrical), but lots of people wasted my time by getting their information and then ordering from Amazon/Richer Sounds, etc.

That's my store :P

Check what they have because I haven't been there in a while.

You work there?

No, it's just my local one.

There aren't many physical stores that are any good. Maplin prices are ridiculously high, I saw a stick of generic 4gb ddr3 for £80. PCWorld have an amazing selection of components(the motherboard selection is the best, they sell 3 motherboards!) and the staff know nothing. The smaller shops will try to sell you low end hardware at sky high prices. Your best option is online.

The only good actual shops I know of are Novatech, OCUK, Aria and scan but they only have a few stores in the whole of the UK for example Newcastle-Under-Lyme for OCUK and Cosham (South of UK) for novatech.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

The only good actual shops I know of are Novatech, OCUK, Aria and scan but they only have a few stores in the whole of the UK for example Newcastle-Under-Lyme for OCUK and Cosham (South of UK) for novatech.

Wow, thanks for pointing out Novatech! It's only just over an hour outside of London and I visit Portsmouth every other month or so :D

You sir have made my day.

Yes, I could just order online instead but it's pretty satisfying being able to choose from a wide range of parts and buy them there and then..

Have you visited the Novatech store yourself?

Wow, thanks for pointing out Novatech! It's only just over an hour outside of London and I visit Portsmouth every other month or so :D

You sir have made my day.

Yes, I could just order online instead but it's pretty satisfying being able to choose from a wide range of parts and buy them there and then..

Have you visited the Novatech store yourself?

I haven't personally, however I have had a friend or two go before and they said it was nicely laid out and as I have ordered from them before, they usually deliver early, they have excellent customer support (the best I have ever seen) and they are really competitively priced and even offering their own brand items that are still really good! 

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |