Turning a Monitor Off to Extend its Lifespan?

ignito
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

It will extend it's lifespan, but not by a margin that you'll notice. Either way they should last longer than you'll want to keep them for, given that they're treated properly of course.

I upgraded to a new computer a while ago, and boot off of a new 850 Evo with a fresh W10 install, so i dont have any problems with shutting down and powering on the computer itself anymore. I turn it off whenever I know I'll be out for a while (school, friends/family), but i tend to leave it on overnight to play music or a podcast to listen to help me sleep, as well as days off school when it can be left on for up to 2 days. Regardless of whether the computer is powered on or off, i leave the monitors (I use an Acer H236HLbid and HP w1907) on all the time, with the screens set to turn off after 30 minutes under power settings.

I'm being told that leaving them on all the time will cause the monitor(s) to burn out, though with the HP monitor that has been used for the past 5 or so years (the past 1-2 were under my possession, and never turned off) has no notable issues. Does this negatively affect them as much as I'm being told they are? Any help or response is appreciated.

I mean if it goes to sleep or shuts off into low power mode after turning the computer off.... I don't really see any harm that it can do to the actual screen.

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

Turning off your displays will help increase longevity. While what everyone else says is correct, powering it down completely may help increase longevity. Besides, the display consumes less power in an off state.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It will extend it's lifespan, but not by a margin that you'll notice. Either way they should last longer than you'll want to keep them for, given that they're treated properly of course.

"Rawr XD"

Turning off your displays will help increase longevity. While what everyone else says is correct, powering it down completely may help increase longevity. Besides, the display consumes less power in an off state.

it can just get tedious after a while.... haha

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

I upgraded to a new computer a while ago, and boot off of a new 850 Evo with a fresh W10 install, so i dont have any problems with shutting down and powering on the computer itself anymore. I turn it off whenever I know I'll be out for a while (school, friends/family), but i tend to leave it on overnight to play music or a podcast to listen to help me sleep, as well as days off school when it can be left on for up to 2 days. Regardless of whether the computer is powered on or off, i leave the monitors (I use an Acer H236HLbid and HP w1907) on all the time, with the screens set to turn off after 30 minutes under power settings.

I'm being told that leaving them on all the time will cause the monitor(s) to burn out, though with the HP monitor that has been used for the past 5 or so years (the past 1-2 were under my possession, and never turned off) has no notable issues. Does this negatively affect them as much as I'm being told they are? Any help or response is appreciated.

I had the same setup a year ago. My hp w1907 died.

Like Aniallation said its not going to affect lifespan by a margin that is noticable.

Just turn em off while you are away(or asleep). Waiting 9-10 seconds for them to cycle through the acer and energy star logos during power up isnt too bad .

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10