Performance drop in Nvidia Surround vs Normal SLI

reptileexperts

Here we go.

Once I started using the Nvidia surround setup a little heavier, I started noticing that there was a definite issue effecting the GPU in this SLI Mode. Ignoring compatibility in SLI arguments and "resolution" factors here is some benchmark evidence to help understand whats going on.

So In games where I run a single display out of the 3, and run at 1920x1080 resolution, if I have surround turned on I have a dramatic reduction in performance, compared to if I run with it on (again single monitor in each case). A slight drop due to not gaming in the native aspect / resolution was expected, but when I put it on paper the difference ended up being around 23%. What my benchmarks tell me is that running in surround my OC drops, regardless of not changing the OC after the fact. This was - run benchmark - enable surround - Run benchmark. My base OC was unchanged. Thoughts?

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6989415/fs/6988608

No, both cards are not "exactly" the same. But both vbios have the same clock profiles. Seems annoying to go through disabling surround when I want to game on a single screen just to ensure I can run 3D at a high frame rate.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

currently using DVI-D to connect the three monitors - running two connected to the bottom and one to the top. When I run the test on a solo screen, the primary screen used was from the top card. Ordered 3 DisplayPort Cables to connect all three into the top card (higher ASIC score, better overclocker) to see if this helps the surround situation.

You know in sli they run at the speed of the slowest card so it doesn't matter what you pick.

Might have changed it but pretty sure

Both cards are equally powered. . . they have the same overclock. But the top card has a higher ASIC and can push higher voltages. If you have a better explanation, please provide as I'm trying to get a grasp of why I'm losing 22% of my GPU power simply because I have the monitors in Span versus just pushing 3 monitors. . .  

You know in sli they run at the speed of the slowest card so it doesn't matter what you pick.

Might have changed it but pretty sure

in SLI the cards take the power of whichever card is pushing the active display. FWIW based on what my OC options are when the monitor is plugged in one card or the other (only difference) running in strictly single monitor SLI mode.

I am getting the exact same issue, getting around 5-15% less performance in firestrike if surround is activated! I think we cant do anything but mail nvidia about it and hope they fix it ( they probably wont )

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Are you using all of your displays on one card or spanned across two? It could simply play out to "it's not running at native resolution" issue. It seems hit or miss. Black ops III holds at 120 fps after a fresh restart in surround. But after a few hours frames seem to drop to 90. But a reboot always fixes it. But that game has a lot of issues Performance wise.

I suspect the reason is that the two side monitors are still being rendered and the image is being copied to them in order to produce the final image. Not to mention its having to synchronize that process to ensure they are showing the same frame. The end result is a reduction in performance even when its rendering only 1920x1080 to the centre screen in exlcusive mode, because its still got to draw the two side screens (which IIRC actually go black normally).

I had three issues with surround when I had it. One was the lack of the screen snapping support and the second was how it handled non surround gaming and that was made worse by how time consuming it was to switch back to separate monitors. In the end it just irritated me to be playing games on 1920x1080 because they didn't support surround and yet having either no side monitors showing or loosing considerable performance in windowed mode. As less and less games supported it and I slowly didn't have the performance to run it anyway I gravitated towards 144hz gaming instead and I do not miss the surround gaming at all. It was a lot of hassle, it ran pretty poorly for the most part and the switching back and forth irritated me enormously especially since it scrambled my monitor order every single time.

AMD's eyefinity was no better, switching was easier but it was far worse once in the mode it was only ever good for gaming. The switcher settings would break every driver update which was like every week and they regularly didn't work even when you did set it up.

The whole thing was a pain, I don't recommend surround/eyefinity at all. The experience IMO was dreadful.

My experience hasn't been bad.  . . in fact, it's been a breath of fresh air into my gaming. Going from A standard monitor 17" 1080p gaming laptop, to an ultra wide 29" 2560x1080, then going to a 144hz experience on a single 24, and finally to triple 144hz displays . . . While the performance loss is bugging me, the end product is absolutely fine. The window snapping, is an issue I can agree with that. I haven't found the proper work around yet, when working on my work flow in PS and Lightroom or Premier. But playing COD BO III in surround with my cloud 2 headset @ ~ 120fps ... its just an incredible experience. Titanfall is flawless in surround. And now that Fallout 4 has native surround support, its great even at 72 FPS (frame limited by game). As long as I always have the performance to push it, I think I'll always run this setup personally.

My new cables come in tomorrow to test one of my theories. We will see tomorrow evening when I move the PC Tower

Here's a demonstration of its current performance

You tweak anything in nvidia? Mine doesn't feel as smooth as the last couple cods, or part to bf's. Haven't tried again since the last big update in bo3. Bought a pair of 980's hoping it would be playable but it appears the game doesn't care much for sli.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

You tweak anything in nvidia? Mine doesn't feel as smooth as the last couple cods, or part to bf's. Haven't tried again since the last big update in bo3. Bought a pair of 980's hoping it would be playable but it appears the%

SLI "mods" didn't have to happen. In Nvidia inspector the SLI profile is currently in place for BOIII, the game is just poorly optimized from the get go. Ram is the main issue - if you run anything less than 12gb of ram, you likely are having issues due to the ram.

Make sure you turn some of the shadow textures off, and ensure that your mesh quality is not on extra - if its on extra it literally will give you frame drops to 20-30 fps for no reason. On high or even medium, there are no issues and performance remains intact.

My 970 are overclocked and run around 1550mhz on core during the game. And 8000 MHz on memory at the moment. switching to all of my monitors on a single card via display port and using the Reference card, fixed my issue with performance differences. Black ops III has ran fine ever since.

SLI "mods" didn't have to happen. In Nvidia inspector the SLI profile is currently in place for BOIII, the game is just poorly optimized from the get go. Ram is the main issue - if you run anything less than 12gb of ram, you likely are having issues due to the ram.

Make sure you turn some of the shadow textures off, and ensure that your mesh quality is not on extra - if its on extra it literally will give you frame drops to 20-30 fps for no reason. On high or even medium, there are no issues and performance remains intact.

My 970 are overclocked and run around 1550mhz on core during the game. And 8000 MHz on memory at the moment. switching to all of my monitors on a single card via display port and using the Reference card, fixed my issue with performance differences. Black ops III has ran fine ever since.

Hmm, may have to try that this weekend. I normally spread the screens out among the two cards. I have 32 gigs and all the other games I play do fine. Couldn't believe how bad bo3 three for optimization.  What's you're average frame rate and are you running 60 or 120+ hz monitors?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Hmm, may have to try that this weekend. I normally spread the screens out among the two cards. I have 32 gigs and all the other games I play do fine. Couldn't believe how bad bo3 three for optimization.  What's you're average frame rate and are you running 60 or 120+ hz monitors?

Average frame rate on medium settings is 120, on high I can sometimes get above 100, but I cap the frames at 100fps just to keep the cards cooler and not worry since the difference between 100 and 120 is negligible to me.

running 3 Asus 24" 144hz 3D @ 144hz

Average frame rate on medium settings is 120, on high I can sometimes get above 100, but I cap the frames at 100fps just to keep the cards cooler and not worry since the difference between 100 and 120 is negligible to me.

running 3 Asus 24" 144hz 3D @ 144hz

Guess I'll give it a try again. My pair of 980's I bought could barely stay at 100 frames with medium setting. It was also stuttering enough for it to cause issues playing. Real buggy at the time. Hope those settings and the recent updates will help.

I'll grab a screen of my settings tomorrow, are you running your 980's at stock or OC? at stock they should = my 970's OC. with even a slight OC you should be able to match / beat my performance without issue.

I'll grab a screen of my settings tomorrow, are you running your 980's at stock or OC? at stock they should = my 970's OC. with even a slight OC you should be able to match / beat my performance without issue.

Stock, didn't really wonna mess with them much as they have open air coolers and already run too hot for my liking.

Stock, didn't really wonna mess with them much as they have open air coolers and already run too hot for my liking.

a slight overclock would be very beneficial on the 980, but yes if you're running SLI open airs and not reference coolers, it could be problematic. Thankfully my reference cooler keeps them from feeding off each other's heat and runs smooth.