[Video Editing] Is It Worthwhile To Overclock A GPU?

mao91

See signature for system specs.

My CPU is overclocked to 4.2GHz and I've noticed a little difference in export times of videos, but I haven't done anything with my GPU yet, and am genuinely nervous to (dunno why, maybe because it's the most expensive component in my system). Anyway, for video editing in Premiere, am I going to see any real difference in performance if I give it any kind of overclock? If not, I'm not going to touch it. I'm more concerned about stability than anything else.

Thoughts?

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

My CPU is overclocked to 4.2GHz and I've noticed a little difference in export times of videos, but I haven't done anything with my GPU yet, and am genuinely nervous to (dunno why, maybe because it's the most expensive component in my system). Anyway, for video editing in Premiere, am I going to see any real difference in performance if I give it any kind of overclock? If not, I'm not going to touch it. I'm more concerned about stability than anything else.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure it wouldn't make any noticeable difference

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Tbh it's near impossible to damage an Nvidia GPU with a stock BIOS.

Don't worry yourself.

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Nah, you won't see any real performance difference. If you're in Premiere your GPU will only have about 25-50% utilization and a OC won't help bring any extra performance.

EDIT: I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro and export with Adobe Media Encoder and use the 2048 CUDA cores from my dual GTX 960's to accelerate render. ;P

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Easy to test.

Find a clip to render, a short one will do, a 60s clip..

Render one now... note the time.

Declock GPU 100mhz on the core, Re-Render, note the time... if it takes longer to do, GPU clocks do affect it.

Gives the answer if its affecting render times... so then you can choose to leave at stock or OC to get gains.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It's free extra performance, go ahead and do it. You basically can't damage a GPU with a stock BIOS.

Thoughts?

nope, it won't make a BIG difference if you OC your gpu for editing.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Nah, you won't see any real performance difference. If you're in Premiere your GPU will only have about 25-50% utilization and a OC won't help bring any extra performance.

EDIT: I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro and export with Adobe Media Encoder and use the 2048 CUDA cores from my dual GTX 960's to accelerate render. ;P

That's what I was suspecting.

Easy to test.

Find a clip to render, a short one will do, a 60s clip..

Render one now... note the time.

Declock GPU 100mhz on the core, Re-Render, note the time... if it takes longer to do, GPU clocks do affect it.

Gives the answer if its affecting render times... so then you can choose to leave at stock or OC to get gains.

If all I'm going to see is maybe a 1-2 second difference, I wouldn't want to bother. I already don't have any difficulties real-time rendering 1080p in full resolution. I was mostly curious to see if maybe it would better accelerate things like dynamically linked After Effects stuff.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.