Power Supply Power Cables

pop7585

Will the cable that goes from the wall to the PSU not work if it is harvested from a older computer, and if not what can be done to replace one that has gone MIA?

CPU | I7-4790K | MOBO | Asrock H81M-DGS R2.0 | RAM | Crucial 16 GB ( 2 x 8GB ) | PSU | EVGA 500W ATX Non-Modular | CASE | NZXT Phantom | STORAGE | 120GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1TB Western Digital Black | GPU | Gigabyte GTX960 windforce (2GB) | KEYBOARD | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | MOUSE | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Sound | Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma | 

If the end going into the power supply is the same, it'll technically work, but you need to look at the rating of the cord to make sure it's compliant with what the power supply is capable of putting out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If the end going into the power supply is the same, it'll technically work, but you need to look at the rating of the cord to make sure it's compliant with what the power supply is capable of putting out.

to be honest, 99% of the time it really doesnt matter

to be honest, 99% of the time it really doesnt matter

The rating matters and it's always good to check.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

i feel the need to elaborate, i am talking like a really old dell optiplex 745 with no label on the PSU and a new name brand low wattage PSU.

CPU | I7-4790K | MOBO | Asrock H81M-DGS R2.0 | RAM | Crucial 16 GB ( 2 x 8GB ) | PSU | EVGA 500W ATX Non-Modular | CASE | NZXT Phantom | STORAGE | 120GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1TB Western Digital Black | GPU | Gigabyte GTX960 windforce (2GB) | KEYBOARD | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | MOUSE | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Sound | Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma | 

i feel the need to elaborate, i am talking like a really old dell optiplex 745 with no label on the PSU and a new name brand low wattage PSU.

Does the cord have a rating? Some sort of tag?

yeah it says its a 125 vol 10-a and HL-002

yeah it says its a 125 vol 10-a and HL-002

You're fine.

Edited by Godlygamer23

a unlabeled PSU that came with the desktop

a unlabeled PSU that came with the desktop

I edited my post. You'll be fine.

thank you sir

So i will put my electrical certified 2 cents in,

The 120 u-ground to IEC (often called universal) cable is interchangeable with any other 120 u-ground to IEC. Its a standardize cable.

If you have a cheap looking one that you think might not be good enough, here is a way to check that it wont melt on you. On the cable should be printed a bunch of info, look for the Volts (V) and Amps (A), times the Volts by the Amps, if the number is greater with head room for how many Watts your device should draw you are good.

For example the cable you have is marked as being rated: 120Vs and 10Amps, that means the cable is able to handle a max of 1200W

so as long as your PSU is not over lets say 1100W you're good to go!

• 4 weeks later...

about a month later update, it worked fine