Teardown and "Review" of the Turbolink ATX-XG500W [Crappy PSU]

iamdarkyoshi

Sorry, I did not bother to blow it up. I should have. This is an example of the shitty PSUs commonly put into prebuilts, such as the one in the PC owned by @Kairuteleos

MJIeYCv.jpg

So what is wrong with it? Where do I start...

Essentially no input filtering and a tiny bridge rectifier. At least they put a fuse in it, although using it as a jumper over the missing filtering is hilarious...

Ty7RBBD.jpg

I snipped the wires off, but here are the uninsulated soldering points on the switches and IEC mains input. Not very good...

GBxIUPF.jpg

The capacitors on this board (which there are few) are all crap, and the PCB is actually warped!

rU7iqHb.jpg

Soldering job is piss poor, I could have done better with my feet.

Zl9PDDN.jpg

I have seen bigger heatsinks in 100W PSUs.

WtztPEa.jpg

There is absolutely no insulating sheet between the chassis and PCB. This is the crummiest metal I have ever seen.

uqAZqsN.jpg

Now for my favorite part... It needs a load resistor to keep its voltage regulated at low loads, and the resistor runs so hot that the wires next to it were burned. The lead of one of the resistors nearly made its way through the insulation on the wire. Brilliant.

VfsIXOm.jpg

Speaking of wires, those are the thinnest wires I have ever seen. Here are the wires stripped next to a penny.

7KfGgC8.jpg

Also I noticed that the fan does not have much dust in it. It is not temperature regulated either. It just runs off of the 12V rail with a resistor, and the bearing sounds like it has absolutely no oil.

9PWAFXN.jpg

So in conclusion, do not buy this PSU.

That is a lot of flux.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Probably needed it so their lead free solder AKA solder free solder would even flow onto the joints...

Least they could do is clean it off.

At work, we use lead free solder.(class 3 stuff)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Sorry, I did not bother to blow it up. I should have. 

Soldering job is piss poor, I could have done better with my feet.

Speaking of wires, those are the thinnest wires I have ever seen. Here are the wires stripped next to a penny.

1. plz do that

2. I'd like to see that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3. I've actually seen thinner, no idea how it could have worked...

and P.S. lol, I can do better soldering than that and I'm a novice.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Least they could do is clean it off.

I make my soldering spotless by cleaning it off. It is not too much work, but it is an extra step that takes time. And more time means more money. 

good tear down of the PSU

if it continue to run

i think the insulation might catch fire due to a short circuit :o

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I make my soldering spotless by cleaning it off. It is not too much work, but it is an extra step that takes time. And more time means more money. 

I edited my post with more info.

but... it says turbo

its sad that they sell these things to the public

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

As soon as you notice how the 5V rail "delivers" more current than the 12V rail, you know you're dealing with a crappy PSU lol.

Those heatsinks are a joke, I mean, are they like 1mm thick?, lol.

As for the wires, you should use something more standard for comparison, like a micro sd card (or a banana for scale), not all of us know how big a penny is xD.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Especially in prebuilts.

"its just safer to buy a prebuilt" -99% of people  :rolleyes:

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

As soon as you notice how the 5V rail "delivers" more current than the 12V rail, you know you're dealing with a crappy PSU lol.

Those heatsinks are a joke, I mean, are they like 1mm thick?, lol.

As for the wires, you should use something more standard for comparison, like a micro sd card (or a banana for scale), not all of us know how big a penny is xD.

Ya, pretty much

My calipers are downstairs...

Lets just say that the writing on the outside thinks that they are 20AWG

This thing is under 20AMPS in the 12V and stuff DUH is for basic systems with Core 2 duo machines or Dell optiplex stuff and prebuild basic machines without overclocking and like Pentium Intel cores 1-2 and under 3Ghz... xD like really underpowered systems that only use like 120W or less...

Yeah its pritty crappy LOL! why would anyone buy and trust this company must be pritty ass dumb... Turbo Link? pfff wtf is that company even? CHINA? or heck even thailand...

HECK last i checked there was a- A-open PSU in my class, pritty supriced i saw that because we only learn with poor 775 stuff in class and i bring my own presscot 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 along with an old AMD GPU that has 1GB GDDR5 it games neat with my Asus motherboard xe925 775 X9 and an A-open PSU it has good rail like over 28Amps on a 350W old PSU! well  perhaps i think it even had 34amps supriced my School got that laying arround without knowledge we just get old PC parts in and sometimes good things happen like REALLY nice 7200RPM HDD's but mostly SLOW CPU's like AMD 64(underclocked) and Pentium 4 with pritty bad chipsets...

xe925 CHIPSET by suprice it supports OC! yay with a PENTIUM 4 HAHAHA... but ok i tried my best i reached 3.6 on 89°c load it has bluescreened and turned off i'm using a zalman thing like one of those cheap SORRY i mean zalman doesnt make PSU i mean HEATSINK LOL... i'll try and get BIOS update to work and slam Pentium D or Core 2 duo in there perhaps i hope that will work...

This thing is under 20AMPS in the 12V and stuff DUH is for basic systems with Core 2 duo machines or Dell optiplex stuff and prebuild basic machines without overclocking and like Pentium Intel cores 1-2 and under 3Ghz... xD like really underpowered systems that only use like 120W or less...

Yeah its pritty crappy LOL! why would anyone buy and trust this company must be pritty ass dumb... Turbo Link? pfff wtf is that company even? CHINA? or heck even thailand...

It was in a machine with an fx4300

This belongs to the JonnyGuru gutless wonder list....

good tear down of the PSU

if it continue to run

i think the insulation might catch fire due to a short circuit :o

That fuse will save the unit in the event of short circuit...

What brand of PC?

ask the user mentioned in OP, I forget. The other prebuilt I worked on was @AviatorSam's and his used a still horrible but far better supply then this one. It was an ibuypotato.

ask the user mentioned in OP, I forget. The other prebuilt I worked on was @AviatorSam's and his used a still horrible but far better supply then this one. It was an ibuypotato.

Yeah, IBP / CBPC / BuyXG / etc. tend to put a lot of bad units as a standard for many of their PCs (unless, of course, you customized it in).

Prebuilds from big companies like Dell, on the other hand, are usually of acceptable quality. Here's two reviews of Dell PSUs that were made by Chicony.

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/dell-h305p-01-power-supply-review/

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/dell-h750p-00-review/

It was in a machine with an fx4300

Nope full year 2000, it was an old gaming rig video cards had been taken out 'n stuff... THAT time that PSU was 500 dollars :D

I'm talking about retro stuff here like the old ATI cards and LIVE 3D games as Doom, quake all dat stuff... i didnt even had knowledge what chipset and board it was like super early JUNK.