My FX9590 with X-Fire sapphire 390x

Go to solution Solved by Masada02,

So the switch to 2x fury sapphire OC tri x at 4 gigs HBM is a much better bet for the 1440p 144Htz window I am looking for than 2x 390x sapphire tri x at 8 gigs?

Ya, the Fury's will definitely be better if you are trying to get to 144fps. In the most demanding titles you will probably get close to 144fps, but I don't think you will be at 144fps or above at all times. It will be a lot better than the 2 390X's though.

It's going to come down to your processor though. Once you start getting into the super high fps range, you may hit the CPU limit before you hit the GPU limit. I wouldn't call it a bottleneck, but every piece of hardware has its limit and it just comes down to which limit you hit first. I imagine the 9590 will be your limiting factor.

Before I start...

Yes I have a 9590, I made a mistake and I am aware.

So far the PC is keeping up with the rendering and gaming that I want it to do so at the moment I am happy.

In a few weeks I will be buying a 27 inch 1440p 144 Htz screen and I was wondering if a second 390x is a good idea to bump up some of the games I like to play in that res/fps realm.

all of the games I enjoy playing run at 60fps on ultra minus fallout 4 which can sometimes drop as low as 45fps.

I want to say thanks in advance to you guys. During my build this site and you awesome people educated me quite a bit and for that I am very greatfull!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/zd4BMp

The 390x will not reliably crossfire with that card. And a AMD GPU is a horrible choice for Fallout 4, that game only runs well on Nvidia.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The 390x will not reliably crossfire with that card. And a AMD GPU is a horrible choice for Fallout 4, that game only runs well on Nvidia.

So a second 390x (same card) is a bad idea? what card would you suggest then?

How is the 390x not reliable to XFire with another 390x (if I'm not mistaken)? The issue would most likely be a bottleneck from the CPU powering two 390x's. I'd get a new CPU, motherboard (and if you have some extra money another 390x) for 1440p.

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

None, the meaning of my statement was that crossfire sucks lol. Been there, sold the second card.

Keep the 390x, run it until you can't achieve the settings you want. I have a 290 and game in 1440, you'll be fine. And if not then sell the 390x and get a Fury. I sold my 390 for almost retail, the used market for the 300 series is a sellers market.

How is the 390x not reliable to XFire with another 390x (if I'm not mistaken)? The issue would most likely be a bottleneck from the CPU powering two 390x's. I'd get a new CPU, motherboard (and if you have some extra money another 390x) for 1440p.

I was wondering how big that bottleneck would be with that CPU. Are we talking waste of money getting the second card?

Looks like that CPU already bottlenecks 1 390x, dunno how 2 will suffice.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

First of all, please elaborate in what way the 390x won't reliably crossfire.

Second, what do you mean Fallout 4 runs well on Nvidia? it runs like ass on my 980Ti, and before i got a G-sync monitor the game was stuttering like hell and the FPS instability made it barely playable.

Get a second 390x, and when you're shopping for a new monitor take a look at a free sync monitor. I believe Linus reviewed a very good BenQ.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

None, the meaning of my statement was that crossfire sucks lol. Been there, sold the second card.

Keep the 390x, run it until you can't achieve the settings you want. I have a 290 and game in 1440, you'll be fine. And if not then sell the 390x and get a Fury. I sold my 390 for almost retail, the used market for the 300 series is a sellers market.

Cuz You tried to Cf 290 with 390.

My 295x2, dual 290x is fine. My HD 79590s were fine

It will bottleneck in cpu intensive programs not gpu ones

Not in any game I've seen that uses multiple cores. Maybe in the few games that work off single core but they're going out of date fast. OP should be fine.

Second, what do you mean Fallout 4 runs well on Nvidia? it runs like ass on my 980Ti, and before i got a G-sync monitor the game was stuttering like hell and the FPS instability made it barely playable.

Get a second 390x, and when you're shopping for a new monitor take a look at a free sync monitor. I believe Linus reviewed a very good BenQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYKEsWlzRU

The sweet spot for Fallout 4 is 1080p with a 970. But if you'd like I can tag as many other members of this forum as I need to in order for you to know the error of your ways.

I did see that one, im really liking the one im getting (in the pc partpicker link) do you think that benq is a better buy? I honestly really want that second 390x to work out well for me but all I keep hearing is my cpu cant do it. :/

Cuz You tried to Cf 290 with 390.

My 295x2, dual 290x is fine. My HD 79590s were fine

The OP can sell the 390x and get a Fury, much better that the limited use crossfire offers. And a Fury doesn't use twice the energy and produce twice the heat.

And read my posts, a single 390x is fine for 1440.

Not in any game I've seen that uses multiple cores. Maybe in the few games that work off single core but they're going out of date fast. OP should be fine.

My games:

Fallout 4

Witcher 3

assassins creed (all of them)

Gmod

BF4

Modded Skyrim

I did see that one, im really liking the one im getting (in the pc partpicker link) do you think that benq is a better buy? I honestly really want that second 390x to work out well for me but all I keep hearing is my cpu cant do it. :/

yeah, i didn't see the monitor in your parts picker. My link was just a suggestion, as i knew Linus gave it praise.

Guru3D gave the Acer monitor praise as well. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_freesync_review_with_the_acer_xb270hu_monitor,12.html

My games:

Fallout 4

Witcher 3

assassins creed (all of them)

Gmod

BF4

Modded Skyrim

You should be fine, I see no reason you wouldn't be and have never seen or heard anything to the contrary.

People like crossfire because it looks cool, and bragging rights. I've been there. It's not cool. At the least try the 390x at 1440, you can do that now using VSR in the display menu in Crimson. Enable it then set your games to 1440, see how they run.

You should be fine, I see no reason you wouldn't be and have never seen or heard anything to the contrary.

People like crossfire because it looks cool, and bragging rights. I've been there. It's not cool. At the least try the 390x at 1440, you can do that now using VSR in the display menu in Crimson. Enable it then set your games to 1440, see how they run.

I have done this and so far quite close to the same results as the 1080 display. I just cant shake the feeling of my 1440p display not running high FPS when it can and I was hoping a second 390x would bump me up to at least 75 fps in aaa games like fallout 4 and witcher 3.

I have done this and so far quite close to the same results as the 1080 display. I just cant shake the feeling of my 1440p display not running high FPS when it can and I was hoping a second 390x would bump me up to at least 75 fps in aaa games like fallout 4 and witcher 3.

I've run both those game in crossfire, no improvement.

Listen to me now or hear me later. One strong card is much better than two. Twice the power consumption and twice the heat, plus the top card will run twice as hot. I'd run the 390x you have and enjoy it, if you have to move up get a Fury. A Fury is designed to run at 1440 and above.

Listen to me now or hear me later. One strong card is much better than two. Twice the power consumption and twice the heat, plus the top card will run twice as hot. I'd run the 390x you have and enjoy it, if you have to move up get a Fury. A Fury is designed to run at 1440 and above.

Thanks for the advice! I might just sell the 390x.

Yes, this would be good advice. But the fact that the OP is buying a 144HZ Freesync monitor changes that. The game play issues associated with crossfire is largely gone with a sync monitor, the only noteworthy exception being games that does not support crossfire.

Heat and power consumption is up to the OP to decide how important it is. Living in Norway, more heat from the computer doesn't bother me and the electricity is cheap, It may be different for you, it may be different for the OP.

Lastly, you are seriously overpraising the AMD Fury. It's a good card, but it's a bit underwhelming for Fallout 4 and witcher 3 1440p where it doesn't quite reach up to 60FPS constantly at ultra settings. Even with my 980Ti, i hover around 60FPS in Witcher 3, all ultra + hairworks ultra, minus some settings turned off like motion blur.

Yes, this would be good advice. But the fact that the OP is buying a 144HZ Freesync monitor changes that. The game play issues associated with crossfire is largely gone with a sync monitor, the only noteworthy exception being games that does not support crossfire.

Heat and power consumption is up to the OP to decide how important it is. Living in Norway, more heat from the computer doesn't bother me and the electricity is cheap, It may be different for you, it may be different for the OP.

Lastly, you are seriously overpraising the AMD Fury. It's a good card, but it's a bit underwhelming for Fallout 4 and witcher 3 1440p where it doesn't quite reach up to 60FPS constantly at ultra settings. Even with my 980Ti, i hover around 60FPS in Witcher 3, all ultra + hairworks ultra, minus some settings turned off like motion blur.

Annnnnnd now I have no idea again. Heat is fine. I have the fans as well as the northern Canada weather to help me out with that. Power, meah I have a 9590 already, what do I care.

Um, my 290 plays Fallout 4 at 1440 at ultra settings (except the shadow distance set to 10000 in the ini files), the texture details distance doubled, and 35 mods at 60fps. I see dips into the 40s in Boston but who doesn't at those settings.

The Fury is a great card, much better suited to 1440 for the future, the Fury X is a monster. Obviously the 980ti is obviouse.

Regarding the processor, I'm not sure going to Crossfire would be a great idea. I recently switch from a 4790k to a 5960x and all the stuttering and fps drops I had been experiencing went away (could either be the extra cores or extra pcie lanes, not sure which). Not that it was bad, but it was noticeable in some games. The performance with the 4790k was still very good, and I imagine that it would be for you too, but I'm willing to bet you will experience fps drops and stuttering in demanding games.

Fallout 4 performs bad in all cases, I would say that Nvidia cards typically perform better, but it's not going to be a massive jump.

With the 144hz monitor, you are going to need extra horsepower that an extra 390x will give. You will also need to be willing to play with crossfire settings in games that don't support it though. That is just something that comes with owning dual gpus from either team.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C