Best Linux Distro (alternative for windows xp)

Go to solution Solved by patrick3027,

Lubuntu is more resource hungry than Zorin?

Upgrade the RAM and then remove it once the installation is complete is possible.

2GB fine?

I meant Zorin is more resource hungry sorry: saw a guy who managed to run Lubuntu on 128 MB once so should be OK on 256 :)

And even though Lubuntu is lightweight and consumes less than 100 MB at idle, the installer itself can take up 700 MB of RAM so if you have 1 gig available when installing it, everything should go just fine. 2 GB is more than enough. ^^

i originally written this post in depth however i press backspace before i could have press the "post new topic" button. 

So cutting to the case, i need an linux distro that 

- has an user interface that similar to windows

- has backwards compatibility programs for windows. (example, ubuntu has an program where you can open MS Office Word files)

- can run on old hardware like pentium 4 with 256mb DDR and 80GB IDE drive

Any suggestions? 

Just the standard Ubuntu for sure. It includes everything you would need and is not too difficult to use either.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Lubuntu is my favorite linux distro for older hardware. In fact the minimum requirements only ask for a Pentium iii CPU!

+1 for this. The full Ubuntu suite will be too heavy for it so try out Lubuntu.

It has a Windows XP like interface and can run on a Pentium IV without problems.

(256 MB of RAM is quite low though so you'll probably have to install it using the terminal, I doubt the GUI installation will work)

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Ubuntu or some variant of it would be good for your needs. For example Elementary OS is supposed to be really easy to use, and most of the software you'd need is either preinstalled, or can be downloaded from the software center(or the terminal using "sudo apt-get install program")

EDIT: forgot about the 256MB RAM, Lubuntu as suggested above would do nicely

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Lubuntu is my favorite linux distro for older hardware. In fact the minimum requirements only ask for a Pentium iii CPU!

I also found an os called Zorin? 

Is Zorin good?

Lubuntu looks good going to download 

I also found an os called Zorin?

Is Zorin good?

Zorin looks good going to download

Zorin is more resource hungry (although barely) and is less popular (I don't like software without a Wikipedia page :P )

For the installation itself: is it possible that you upgrade the RAM and then remove it once the installation is complete? I think that would simplify your task a lot.

Lubuntu is more resource hungry (although barely) and is less popular (I don't like software without a Wikipedia page :P )

For the installation itself: is it possible that you upgrade the RAM and then remove it once the installation is complete? I think that would simplify your task a lot.

Upgrade the RAM and then remove it once the installation is complete is possible. 

2GB fine?

2GB fine?

I meant Zorin is more resource hungry sorry: saw a guy who managed to run Lubuntu on 128 MB once so should be OK on 256 :)

And even though Lubuntu is lightweight and consumes less than 100 MB at idle, the installer itself can take up 700 MB of RAM so if you have 1 gig available when installing it, everything should go just fine. 2 GB is more than enough. ^^

And even though Lubuntu is lightweight and consumes less than 100 MB at idle, the installer itself can take up 700 MB of RAM so if you have 1 gig available when installing it, everything should go just fine.

Ok thank you all for your support