Overclocking i7-4790 on a new motherboard

Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

You don't overclock it, it's called turbo boost. I have the same CPU and there's no way to make it go higher unless you get a little... experimental... Well, I got mine somehow constantly pinned at 4GHz.

Hey, 

Somewhere in the summer, I bought myself a new pre-built desktop(stupid, I know, I've gotta upgrade my PSU, motherboard and case just so I can install water cooling :| ).

Now I think it's time to upgrade the parts of it, thought I'm kinda forced to do it, CPU runs at 60 degrees or so with my one horrible fan.. 

I've got a i7-4790 processor, and I can overclock it from 3.6ghz to 4.0 with the "intel boost" or whatever it's called, and since I'll be buying a new motherboard(my current one can't support more than one fan :|), I was wondering if I would still be able to do it with a new motherboard. If anyone could help me, that'd be great :] 

i7 4790 is a locked chip. you cannot overclock it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Hey, 

Somewhere in the summer, I bought myself a new pre-built desktop(stupid, I know, I've gotta upgrade my PSU, motherboard and case just so I can install water cooling :| ).

Now I think it's time to upgrade the parts of it, thought I'm kinda forced to do it, CPU runs at 60 degrees or so with my one horrible fan.. 

I've got a i7-4790 processor, and I can overclock it from 3.6ghz to 4.0 with the "intel boost" or whatever it's called, and since I'll be buying a new motherboard(my current one can't support more than one fan :|), I was wondering if I would still be able to do it with a new motherboard. If anyone could help me, that'd be great :] 

You can if you have a 4790K but you can't if you have a 4790

My Evening Prayer:

May your temperatures be low and your framerates be high.

-Gaben

You don't overclock it, it's called turbo boost. I have the same CPU and there's no way to make it go higher unless you get a little... experimental... Well, I got mine somehow constantly pinned at 4GHz.

Would I need a mobo that supports it then?

Just saying, but you have the most interesting of names.

I'm going to take that as a compliment haha 

Since it's answered, why did you get a locked chip? If you want to overclock.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Since it's answered, why did you get a locked chip? If you want to overclock.

It was a prebuilt desktop that my dad made me buy, otherwise I would have built something that I could OC and upgrade.