Looking to 'Slice' My SG05 and Make It Smaller

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by The Official Czex,

So if you take a look at this photo, you can see that if I move down the PSU so that it is flush with the top of the GPU, I can slice off about 5cm worth of height from the case:

post-2597-0-83450000-1451196760_thumb.jp

This equated to a removal of around 3,010 cubic centimeters or around 3 liters of space from case, slimming the chassis to a mere 7.8 liters in size, almost as small as the Dan Case A4 (which is basically as small as it gets when it comes to full size GPUs, a mere 7.25L):

post-2597-0-92582200-1451196816.jpg

So first taking a look at it, it doesn't seem to be too challenging, all I need to do is make new front and rear frame panels, bend them, and then rivet them back into place. Give it a good coat of paint, maybe even a different color than black, and we're golden. The only thing I'm worried about is this:

post-2597-0-00188700-1451196947_thumb.jp

I'm not talking about that cable management (which is some of the neatest I've done, especially considering what you normally find in an SG05), I'm talking about the clearance between the motherboard and the SFX PSU once I lower it down so it's flush with the GPU. There will be very little clearance, and I will have to move that drive 'cage' or 'bracket' that currently houses a 2.5" drive (that blue thing below the PSU) somewhere else, probably in front of the PSU next to the cables. Not a big deal, but I am worried about CPU cooling, as it will be tight in there. But with this mod, I will still be able to fit a 120mm AIO in the front as even slicing the chassis does not interfere with the 120mm slot spacing.

I was also thinking of turning the case clockwise, so it sits kind of on it's side, like an upside down NCase M1. The GPU will be on top, to make more sense, and the mobo will be upside down compared to a normal ATX case, for instance. Of course I will have to fabricate new side panels but this is all in the plan.

So, vote in the poll. Should I do this? 

Interesting how the camera flash makes it look like the GPU fan and CPU fan are not moving. The PC was actually on while I was taking these photos. For for the really blurry last one.

maybe block off the cpu fan with anything, resembling how it will work when the PSU is lowered?  If the thing doesn't start on fire then cut it up!  sounds like a good, cool idea man!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Im interested to see a thread about this

I'll definitely try and take some photos while I work on it.

maybe block off the cpu fan with anything, resembling how it will work when the PSU is lowered?  If the thing doesn't start on fire then cut it up!  sounds like a good, cool idea man!

Well it's only an i3, the chipset is currently producing more heat than the CPU (which is kind of weird, I should look into that) and I don't plan on stuffing in an Devil's Canyon i5 or i7 or anything. If anything, I will be putting in a Xeon E3-1231v3 but I'm sure an AIO will be more than adequate as it doesn't produce much more heat than the i3.

Just did some measuring and it's going to be a VERY close fit to the stock cooler but it will work :D

Time to take apart the system and get it running on my mobo box... :)

I'll definitely try and take some photos while I work on it.

Well it's only an i3, the chipset is currently producing more heat than the CPU (which is kind of weird, I should look into that) and I don't plan on stuffing in an Devil's Canyon i5 or i7 or anything. If anything, I will be putting in a Xeon E3-1231v3 but I'm sure an AIO will be more than adequate as it doesn't produce much more heat than the i3.

Yeah, I saw it was an i3, which should help a ton.  120mm AIO's are cheap anyways if you would happen to have heat issues after modding.  

edit: you going to make a build log or post some pics here?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

If you do it, make a post about the process and outcome!

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Yeah, I saw it was an i3, which should help a ton.  120mm AIO's are cheap anyways if you would happen to have heat issues after modding.  

edit: you going to make a build log or post some pics here?

I will probably start a new build log in the Build Logs subforum or a new topic in this subforum. I'll definitely try and take photos of the process, this is going to be really small once it's all done.

I will probably start a new build log in the Build Logs subforum or a new topic in this subforum. I'll definitely try and take photos of the process, this is going to be really small once it's all done.

sweet!  I'll keep an eye out for it, tag-a-brotha if you think of it!

sweet!  I'll keep an eye out for it, tag-a-brotha if you think of it!

I'll let you know! I've already torn apart the build, but it's almost 2AM so I should go to bed before I do anything stupid :D Looking at the case it should be a pretty straight forward mod.

I'll let you know! I've already torn apart the build, but it's almost 2AM so I should go to bed before I do anything stupid :D Looking at the case it should be a pretty straight forward mod.

ha! i know that feeling!  I need to start planning something, I've been looking at too many build logs/case mods this weekend