Using membrane for 5 years - convert me

I'm still using membrane. I love it. 

People tell me that mechanical is life and I don't agree, For $200AUD (Some of them) I see no desire to purchase one - My keyboard is $10.

It would need to be perfect, Media control dedicated buttons, program keys, detachable cable, durable. Thats not even much to ask for $200.

But for $200+ why should I upgrade? Can you name a keyboard like I said?

$200 AUD isn't crazy in terms of computer parts. Lots for a keyboard, though.

Try Cooler Master's keyboards, they are mechanical and really nice. They don't have all the fancy media buttons, but they're solid keyboards.

I think the K70 (non RGB) is less than $200.

I used to be quite active here.

If you don't have any problems with your membrane keyboard, I wouldn't get a mechanical one just for the heck of it - it's not worth it, imo. You'd be better off saving up for something you really need or want. I still prefer membrane keyboards for speed typing, even though mechanical keyboards are more comfortable.

DAS Keyboard Professional 4.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I'm still using membrane. I love it. 

People tell me that mechanical is life and I don't agree, For $200AUD (Some of them) I see no desire to purchase one - My keyboard is $10.

It would need to be perfect, Media control dedicated buttons, program keys, detachable cable, durable. Thats not even much to ask for $200.

But for $200+ why should I upgrade? Can you name a keyboard like I said?

Go to a store like best buy if you have one and find a demo model. You will instantly see,hear, and feel the difference. with 200 AUD you can probably get a K70 with mx browns/red/blue with red or blue backlight if my conversion from google are correct (they are $129 USD)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Go to a store like best buy if you have one and find a demo model. You will instantly see,hear, and feel the difference,

Yeah not many places like that here. Have to treck around the country

honesty i don't get why mech is better. thier loud AF

depends on what type you get,

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Yeah not many places like that here. Have to treck around the country

thats unfortunate. Still, if you have the money, hundreds of computer nerds cant be wrong when we say that once you go mechanical you can never go back to rubber dome. I used to use rubber dome, mechanical is such a good experience, I can type faster, and longer, and be more comfortable doing it.

honesty i don't get why mech is better. thier loud AF

yeah my girlfriend agrees.  I'm always waking her up to the sound of frantic typing lol.

to OP: If you like the membrane then I wouldn't go mechanical. The only reason I did is because I got a pretty killer deal and figured I could always sell it and break even or barely lose anything if I didn't like it

Edit: but I freaking love it and definitely can never go back!  I tried while I was rebuilding my pc in the other room and grabbed my membrane really quick to POST test.  It was disgusting lol

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Interesting that you ask this. If your happy with membrane, why would you want to be "converted"?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

DAS Keyboard Professional 4.

that's quite nice actually, $250aud maybe one day.

hundreds of computer nerds cant be wrong

Dunno mate

Interesting that you ask this. If your happy with membrane, why would you want to be "converted"?

because man i have to have a taste of the other side. it seems to me like hr wants a mech and just wants to be sure or wants more reassurance for shelling out the money on one

because man i have to have a taste of the other side. it seems to me like hr wants a mech and just wants to be sure or wants more reassurance for shelling out the money on one

full stop.

That's kinda what I was thinking. You know, scientists have known for a while that the brain makes decisions before we are consciously aware of it. Based on what Eihcal has said, I think he has already decided to buy a mechanical keyboard and just hasn't fully realized it yet. Everyone's scrambling to try to convince him based on the paradigm that he isn't sure yet. In reality all we can do is either help him to realize what his brain has already decided upon, or try to change his mind. Anything else is futile.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

That's kinda what I was thinking. You know, scientists have known for a while that the brain makes decisions before we are consciously aware of it. Based on what Eihcal has said, I think he has already decided to buy a mechanical keyboard and just hasn't fully realized it yet. Everyone's scrambling to try to convince him based on the paradigm that he isn't sure yet. In reality all we can do is either help him to realize what his brain has already decided upon, or try to change his mind. Anything else is futile.

Hm. I like it. Getting deep.

Well let's say if I didn't get one I wouldn't be dissapointed. Interesting, not on the fence but not over it

yes but im like that alot to in my head i know no matter what im gonna get something and i still will ask people like should i get A or B knowing that im leaning towards A i am hoping they also pick A just to reassure me, and ill ask until i get a person that agrees with me xD 

Hm. I like it. Getting deep.

Well let's say if I didn't get one I wouldn't be dissapointed. Interesting, not on the fence but not over it

Or you don't think you would be disappointed anyway. But how well do any of us really know ourselves. Most people tend to not realize what they want / care about till its gone, and only realize what they really don't want / care about while they have it. You think you would be fine without trying the keyboard now, but wait a few weeks or months after not getting one and you may find the curiosity to be overwhelming. If by then you arn't the least bit disappointed then maybe your right, and I'm just some fool on the Internet trying to be wiser than I really am. But maybe you would find out your not as in control over your own mind as you think you are.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Or you don't think you would be disappointed anyway. But how well do any of us really know ourselves. Most people tend to not realize what they want / care about till its gone, and only realize what they really don't want / care about while they have it. You think you would be fine without trying the keyboard now, but wait a few weeks or months after not getting one and you may find the curiosity to be overwhelming. If by then you arn't the least bit disappointed then maybe your right, and I'm just some fool on the Internet trying to be wiser than I really am. But maybe you would find out your not as in control over your own mind as you think you are.

Maybe. I think it's just the money for me personally.

yes but im like that alot to in my head i know no matter what im gonna get something and i still will ask people like should i get A or B knowing that im leaning towards A i am hoping they also pick A just to reassure me, and ill ask until i get a person that agrees with me xD

I know the game lol, this is the internet. It's where everyone goes to reassure themselves of their own opinion/choices. Personally I think it's far more helpful to the person seeking reassurance to help them to see their own need for it, and to help them be more observant of their own unconscious mind. In the long run, they will be able to make their decisions much faster if they realize they have already decided what they want, rather than turning to get a strangers approval.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I know the game lol, this is the internet. It's where everyone goes to reassure themselves of their own opinion/choices. Personally I think it's far more helpful to the person seeking reassurance to help them to see their own need for it, and to help them be more observant of their own unconscious mind. In the long run, they will be able to make their decisions much faster if they realize they have already decided what they want, rather than turning to get a strangers approval.

Well like I stated since I can't try it myself (without a lot of effort) I have to. It sucks.

im aware of my unconscious mind. like i was talking to my self i have $150 and what do i want to do with my money i know i want to buy weed and cs go skins so i kept going over what i will spend on weed and what on skin i know im gonna spend $100 on skins and $50 on weed but i keep going over it in my head. but in the end i know what im doing no matter how much i change it up in the middle 

im aware of my unconscious mind. like i was talking to my self i have $150 and what do i want to do with my money i know i want to buy weed and cs go skins so i kept going over what i will spend on weed and what on skin i know im gonna spend $100 on skins and $50 on weed but i keep going over it in my head. but in the end i know what im doing no matter how much i change it up in the middle 

Maybe. Also even if the person is just misinformed or lacks info.

I was in a position similar to yours, having a decent membrane keyboard but wanting to get a mech keyboard 'cause I figured it was a win-win-win-win. More comfortable, faster speed (I type at 120WPM), more durable, better looking, just a better utility overall. I got a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with MX Blue switches, and I regret it. It's slower to type on. Sure, it's nicely "premium," more comfortable, probably more durable, and it does look very nice. But is all of that worth $80 USD? No - not only does it have no practical value, it has little value feeling like a premium utility either.  I was better off getting a set of speakers/a portable speaker to avoid headphones + glasses pain, or a new microphone to churn out better music recordings, or a mic scissor stand for my piano, or a new chair, or Gunnars glasses to help with typing on the computer 12/7. 

Think long and hard about what else even remotely useful you could be getting for the money. If you really can't think of anything, then save the money for when you think of something. The only reason I would get a mech keyboard is if you haven't been able to think of anything else you need after two months, and so you're sure a keyboard is pretty much the last or second-to-last modification you'll make to your setup.