So I am buying a new Hard Drive

Mechanics

Will I see some less stuttering in games? My current one is making a bunch of noises, signs it's going to fail and I'm getting some stutter\  mini freezes, will the new one eliminate this? A lot of people claim to say that Hard Drive has no impact on performance but I don't see any source backing it up. Thanks all.

I7 3770K|| GTX 970 || 8GB RAM|| 750W || z77|| Blackwidow 2013 edition|| G502 ||~ Smooth

Will I see some less stuttering in games? My current one is making a bunch of noises, signs it's going to fail and I'm getting some stutter\  mini freezes, will the new one eliminate this? A lot of people claim to say that Hard Drive has no impact on performance but I don't see any source backing it up. Thanks all.

Most likely, a HDD will not increase performance, but will increase loading times.

Get a good WD, Hitachi or HGST drive.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

What kind of noises is it making? Can you post a screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo showing the drive's SMART data?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What kind of noises is it making? Can you post a screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo showing the drive's SMART data?

It's hard to describe, but it's def not normal it's not just a grinding noise it's more then that it's like if it gets stuck for a really short time. And I will post a screenshoot soon. Need to download that.

I7 3770K|| GTX 970 || 8GB RAM|| 750W || z77|| Blackwidow 2013 edition|| G502 ||~ Smooth

Get a good WD drive.

any hard drive would be good.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Yeah my Seagate laptop drive is on it's last leg, it freezes up and makes loud click/skipping noise every other day and I have to reset my PC. Good thing I got a shiny new 850 EVO :)

And an HDD is not the best route for more performance, you'd definitely want an SSD, even a cheap one would be better than any HDD.

A slow hard drive can have impact, depending on the game and how slow the drive actually is. That has nothing to do with trying to read off of a failing drive.

If the issues you're having stem from the fact that the drive is in fact failing, getting a new drive will fix it. If the drive is just too slow, getting an equally slow drive will not fix it, but getting a faster drive will.

Most likely, a HDD will not increase performance, but will increase loading times.

Get a good WD drive.

Seagate's drives will be fine, too. Add Toshiba and Hitachi/HGST to that list.

Yeah my Seagate laptop drive is on it's last leg, it freezes up and makes loud click/skipping noise every other day and I have to reset my PC. Good thing I got a shiny new 850 EVO :)

And an HDD is not the best route for more performance, you'd definitely want an SSD, even a cheap one would be better than any HDD.

I have a 2 year old HGST 750gb laptop HDD that runs way too slow even for what's it's worth.

Funnily enough, I have a 5 year old Hitachi hard drive pulled out of a Toshiba laptop that runs really nicely.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Already have!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have a 2 year old HGST 750gb laptop HDD that runs way too slow even for what's it's worth.

Funnily enough, I have a 5 year old Hitachi hard drive pulled out of a Toshiba laptop that runs really nicely.

Yeah I remember I had a 320GB Fujitsu HDD in my old laptop with Ubuntu, man that HDD wrecked the shit out of the install with those bad blocks, and then shit itself too. And then I threw it on my crappy plywood PC and it works fine. Still slow but what HDD isn't to be honest?

7qe4sNH.jpg

[removed]

That's CrystalDiskMark. I need CrystalDiskInfo.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That's CrystalDiskMark. I need CrystalDiskInfo.

gsX9stL.png

Now what? 

Now what? 

According to the SMART data, the drive checks out. Download Seagate's tool to physically test the drive: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

According to the SMART data, the drive checks out. Download Seagate's tool to physically test the drive: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Right,I think it says pass too but I can just hear it not sounding normal, It's like if it gets stuck for a bit. Also when I ran the crystal thing, it went even more insane.

Right,I think it says pass too but I can just hear it not sounding normal, It's like if it gets stuck for a bit. Also when I ran the crystal thing, it went even more insane.

Can you record the noise?

Can you record the noise?

Really hard to record due to it being at random moments, but  you can mostly hear it at 1-3 seconds after that it's gone keep repeating the video at 1-3 seconds and hear the noise it makes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aq1mW2g_rM

Really hard to record due to it being at random moments, but  you can mostly hear it at 1-3 seconds after that it's gone keep repeating the video at 1-3 seconds and hear the noise it makes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aq1mW2g_rM

I might have to redo this the sound it makes initially is most likely my chair, rofl my bad.

The only thing I'm honestly hearing is a drive maybe rattling.

The only thing I'm honestly hearing is a drive maybe rattling.

Actually yes, thats the best way to describe it that's what it is doing. And it's annoying is it normal?

Actually yes, thats the best way to describe it that's what it is doing. And it's annoying is it normal?

It sounds like it's improperly mounted. What happens if you push on the top of it? Does the noise reduce?

It sounds like it's improperly mounted. What happens if you push on the top of it? Does the noise reduce?

I don't believe it is improperly mounted. And  the noise is very unexpected it's not constant. The main reason why I feel like it's my hard drive aside from the physical noise is just because my friend has a similar drive and streams without stuttering with almost the same build, when I stream my screen can't stop stuttering\tearing and even with vsync. He told me it might be my drive and I think it is too, but idk. Thanks alot for your help so far :D!!!!!!

I don't believe it is improperly mounted. And  the noise is very unexpected it's not constant. The main reason why I feel like it's my hard drive aside from the physical noise is just because my friend has a similar drive and streams without stuttering with almost the same build, when I stream my screen can't stop stuttering\tearing and even with vsync. He told me it might be my drive and I think it is too, but idk. Thanks alot for your help so far :D!!!!!!

What games are you playing?

What games are you playing?

Mostly league of legends, I get minor freezes when I don't stream but when I do it just's insane constant freezing\stuttering even though fps is 200 + and sometimes vsync on 60 it feels like 10.