Rate My Voltage

FireFox

I have my CPU OC'ed to 4.0GHz with a voltage of 1.185v (not sure why CPU-Z is showing 1.176v) and I was wondering if this voltage is good, average or bad?

BtvoRIV.jpg

Was going to crop the image but the background looks lovely so thought I'd leave it :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Have you verified that speed with a stress test for at least a few hours to make sure its stable?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I have my CPU OC'ed to 4.0GHz with a voltage of 1.185v (not sure why CPU-Z is showing 1.176v) and I was wondering if this voltage is good, average or bad?

-PIC-

Was going to crop the image but the background looks lovely so thought I'd leave it :P

Voltages on software are always prone to being slightly off from the real thing but that looks really good if it's stable, but why do you have a multiplier range all the way to 59 :D  

Have you verified that speed with a stress test for at least a few hours to make sure its stable?

Just over 10 hours with AIDA64

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Voltages on software are always prone to being slightly off from the real thing but that looks really good if it's stable, but why do you have a multiplier range all the way to 59 :D  

I have no idea lol

I have no idea lol

Its to do with your Load Line Calibration, it will add more voltage over its set voltage to help ensure stability at heavy loads (known as Vdroop). Solid OC if its stable for 10 hours. :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

All the Jigahertz!!!

But overall that all looks to be solid overclock if you had it at 10 hours stable on Adia 64.

A month ago I got it to 4.4GHz with 1.225v but she BSOD on me so tomorrow may have another look and add 10-15mV to it and see if there's an improvement. Not sure how much my TX3 can handle since there is a GTX 780 Lightning exhausting into the case as well.

Its to do with your Load Line Calibration, it will add more voltage over its set voltage to help ensure stability at heavy loads (known as Vdroop). Solid OC if its stable for 10 hours. :)

LLC I have set to medium but there is also GFX LLC as well or some bullshit which I left alone, I thought I knew enough about OC'ing but to be honest I'm not that confident in my ability anymore. I don't fancy screwing this up because I'm saving to go to the US next year and most of my spare income is going towards that. Although I have a Core i3-2120 spare.

LLC I have set to medium but there is also GFX LLC as well or some bullshit which I left alone, I thought I knew enough about OC'ing but to be honest I'm not that confident in my ability anymore. I don't fancy screwing this up because I'm saving to go to the US next year and most of my spare income is going towards that. Although I have a Core i3-2120 spare.

GFX LCC is for your PCI-E lanes, again to allow for more current when doing heavy GPU OC's. The best thing to do if you arent sure is to leave it at auto (except  the Vcore have that set to manual ofc) :). Its very hard to break hardware though OCing now as they have so many safety features and are build so well nowadays.

A month ago I got it to 4.4GHz with 1.225v but she BSOD on me so tomorrow may have another look and add 10-15mV to it and see if there's an improvement. Not sure how much my TX3 can handle since there is a GTX 780 Lightning exhausting into the case as well.

You can still push it but if the load temps are getting to the point where they are >85C then that is a good place to draw the line. 

GFX LCC is for your PCI-E lanes, again to allow for more current when doing heavy GPU OC's. The best thing to do if you arent sure is to leave it at auto (except  the Vcore have that set to manual ofc) :). Its very hard to break hardware though OCing now as they have so many safety features and are build so well nowadays.

When I took it to 4.40GHz I thought I'd screwed it up. BSOD then restart, OK that is fine then kept trying to boot at 4.40GHz, OK fair enough. Enter the BIOS the mouse and keyboard started freezing up and this happened around 8 times then eventually just removed the CMOS which cured it. Next board I buy I want a CMOS reset.

During that I was bloody worried lol

You can still push it but if the load temps are getting to the point where they are >85C then that is a good place to draw the line. 

At 4.0GHz the hottest core reached about 68 degrees and I think the package was somewhere around 65 degrees.

At 4.0GHz the hottest core reached about 68 degrees and I think the package was somewhere around 65 degrees.

That's not bad at all, if you really want to push it and try for the 4.4Ghz or somewhere between there it sounds like you could give it a go as long as temps are still good.

That's not bad at all, if you really want to push it and try for the 4.4Ghz or somewhere between there it sounds like you could give it a go as long as temps are still good.

Sounds like a plan, should I aim for somewhere around 1.235-1.240v?

When I took it to 4.40GHz I thought I'd screwed it up. BSOD then restart, OK that is fine then kept trying to boot at 4.40GHz, OK fair enough. Enter the BIOS the mouse and keyboard started freezing up and this happened around 8 times then eventually just removed the CMOS which cured it. Next board I buy I want a CMOS reset.

During that I was bloody worried lol

Yeah that can happen. You need to add more voltage but if it cant boot you're going to need to add ALOT of voltage.... I think you have reached your chips "edge" in terms of OCing. Like my 4790k I can get 4.7 stable but to get to 4.8 I need to add loads of voltage, not worth it IMO.

Sounds like a plan, should I aim for somewhere around 1.235-1.240v?

Yes that is a safe voltage for the Sandy Bridge chips, see what you get since it will depend how well the chip takes that voltage. IIRC they can go a bit higher than the very common 1.3V nowadays to around a 1.35V depending who you ask without any issues.

Yes that is a safe voltage for the Sandy Bridge chips, see what you get since it will depend how well the chip takes that voltage. IIRC they can go a bit higher than the very common 1.3V nowadays to around a 1.35V depending who you ask without any issues.

I'm happy at 4.0GHz but I am curious to see what the little beast can achieve :)

I'm happy at 4.0GHz but I am curious to see what the little beast can achieve :)

if you went to a more normal 1.3-1.4v then i could tell you how good it is. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016