Can I clone my SSD and then delete it?

MoToX
Go to solution Solved by kameshss,

It would work technically.

But I recommend performing Clean Installation over Cloning the drive.

That'd give you less craps and junk files and satisfied use.

Hello my name is Simon

As a christmas gift I got a new SSD which is a 250GB instead of the 120GB I have now... 

I was just wondering if it was possible to simply clone the my 120GB data from the old SSD over to the new SSD, and then delete all the content on the old SSD, and make the new SSD function as my windows driver??

Whould that work with windows, so that is understands that it is now installed on another drive?

Yep, use a migration software to migrate all the contents from the old SSD to the new one, and they format the old one as GUID NTFS. What SSD did you get?

I currently have a 120 GB kingston, and I got a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I currently have a 120 GB kingston, and I got a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo :)

Yep, use a migration software to migrate all the contents from the old SSD to the new one, and they format the old one as GUID NTFS. What SSD did you get?

What do you mean by saying that I need to format the old one as GUID NTFS?? what does that mean?, I have never done this before so I am quite a noob currently :)

Hello my name is Simon

As a christmas gift I got a new SSD which is a 250GB instead of the 120GB I have now... 

I was just wondering if it was possible to simply clone the my 120GB data from the old SSD over to the new SSD, and then delete all the content on the old SSD, and make the new SSD function as my windows driver??

Whould that work with windows, so that is understands that it is now installed on another drive?

it is possible, e.g. with Macrium Reflect (free version), but it will clone your partitions to the other SSD, so you would have make the other 120GB in another partition, since you cant make one out of two partitions.

But how do I get windows from the one drive to the other?  Becuase I would still like to use my old SSD as another driver, just not as my windows driver?

But how do I get windows from the one drive to the other?  Becuase I would still like to use my old SSD as another driver, just not as my windows driver?

Yes you can do that.

Install the OS on your new SSD.

Then connect your Kingston SSD after OS installation (you can do this even before installing OS, but that may install the boot loader this SSD, to prevent that, connect it after installation of OS).

Then if you want to copy User Files like Documents, Downloads, My Pictures, My Videos. You can just copy the files from that Kingston to Samsung.

Then delete the partitions or Format the drive on that Kingston drive. 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Yes you can do that.

Install the OS on your new SSD.

Then connect your Kingston SSD after OS installation (you can do this even before installing OS, but that may install the boot loader this SSD, to prevent that, connect it after installation of OS).

Then if you want to copy User Files like Documents, Downloads, My Pictures, My Videos. You can just copy the files from that Kingston to Samsung.

Then delete the partitions or Format the drive on that Kingston drive. 

Okay, thanks for the help, dude :)

Okay, thanks for the help, dude :)

YOuaW3lkome! :)

YOuaW3lkome! :)

Dude, was just wondering, if I do this, will that fuck up my other drives?? I have two other drives, one to Steam, and the other to Origion, Uplay and other lose games??

Dude, was just wondering, if I do this, will that fuck up my other drives?? I have two other drives, one to Steam, and the other to Origion, Uplay and other lose games??

No, it won't do anything.

If you're not sure, Shutdown the computer remove the other drives, then follow that procedure.

No, it won't do anything.

If you're not sure, Shutdown the computer remove the other drives, then follow that procedure.

Okay, thanks again :)

Just because I could over 1 TB of games installed, which took me a LONG time to install and download :)