Intel i5 4460 vs i5 4690k, is there a huge difference?

Hey, is there really a huge difference between the Intel i5 4460 vs i5 4690k? (not the price)

The only reason to get the i5 4690k would be overclocking, but is overclocking really that noticeable? (I would probably not overclock anyway, just wondering)

Otherwise, what is the difference between these two CPU's? 

Thanks!

stock for stock? No
stock vs OC? Yes

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

stock for stock? No

stock vs OC? Yes

Alright, well that is what I thought. However to overclock you need a specific type of motherboard, right? And when trying to overclock, how much better would it run?

I would use it for gaming and streaming / recording. 

Besides the base clock and the fact that the 4690k can overclock, it's not gonna be a big difference at stock. Once overclocked though, depending on WHAT, it can make a very big difference.

I would use it for gaming and streaming / recording. How big of a difference is there after OC?

Alright, well that is what I thought. However to overclock you need a specific type of motherboard, right? And when trying to overclock, how much better would it run?

I would use it for gaming and streaming / recording

Consider a Xeon 1231v3 for that.

There's a rather large difference between the two when the k is overclocked.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

The z97 boards aren't that expensive anymore, so if you can afford the 4690K get it

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Totally agree with that.

You are getting extra 4 threads for similar or same kinda price.

It's really worth.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

But why? It is a lot more expensive than the i5 4690k, but is pretty much the same? 

Hey, is there really a huge difference between the Intel i5 4460 vs i5 4690k? (not the price)

The only reason to get the i5 4690k would be overclocking, but is overclocking really that noticeable? (I would probably not overclock anyway, just wondering)

Otherwise, what is the difference between these two CPU's? 

Thanks!

There will be no difference at stock speed. but if you overclock the 4690k then there will be a difference between the 4460.

If you're not overclocking then the i5 4460 is for you, if however you will be overclocking in the future then just get the i5 4690k :)

Merry Christmas!

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Totally agree with that.

You are getting extra 4 threads for similar or same kinda price.

It's really worth.

Sorry, but from Sweden.. so here, not the same price at all. It is like nearly 100 USD more! For nothing!

There will be no difference at stock speed. but if you overclock the 4690k then there will be a difference between the 4460.

If you're not overclocking then the i5 4460 is for you, if however you will be overclocking in the future then just get the i5 4690k :)

Merry Christmas!

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

I would use it for gaming and streaming / recording. 

Z97 for OC

Xeon E3 1231v3 is much better than a i5 for streaming/rendering

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Sorry, but from Sweden.. so here, not the same price at all. It is like nearly 100 USD more! For nothing!

It's not nothing.

It's 4 extra threads. It's basically a 4770 without iGPU.

Works better for Streaming or Video Editing.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

For another 4 threads. (4 cores 8 threads on the Xeon)

Oh, didn't notice that xD Alright, well.. that is all great and stuff, but still a lot more expensive. 

It's not nothing.

It's 4 extra threads. It's basically a 4770 without iGPU.

Works better for Streaming or Video Editing

If it's nothing, why not throw some cash to me? ;) But yeah, I just noticed that it had 4 more threads, but yeah, I can't stretch that far. 

If it's nothing, why not throw some cash to me? ;) But yeah, I just noticed that it had 4 more threads, but yeah, I can't stretch that far. 

I said "It's not nothing" :P

Then you should stick with a 4460. No other way.

Or wait for few weeks, save up. Then buy 1231 V3.

What about the AMD FX 8350 then? It is WAY cheaper than both Intel i5's and it it 4ghz and it is 8 cores and 8 threads. 

I said "It's not nothing" :P

Then you should stick with a 4460. No other way.

Or wait for few weeks, save up. Then buy 1231 V3.

Haha, woops. Well what about the AMD FX 8350 then? It is WAY cheaper than both Intel i5's and it it 4ghz and it is 8 cores and 8 threads. The only reason I have heard so far is "intel is better" but this cpu is clearly better! 

Haha, woops. Well what about the AMD FX 8350 then? It is WAY cheaper than both Intel i5's and it it 4ghz and it is 8 cores and 8 threads. The only reason I have heard so far is "intel is better" but this cpu is clearly better! 

Please don't.

Those are dead sockets. Way older.

Still an i5 can beat the FX 8350 in many ways.

Don't fall for "8 core".

Those are weaker "8 cores".

Choose i5 now, and you have better upgrade path later.

4690k w h100gtx passing by... go for the e3 you'll have to spend extra money on a good cooler to get a good overclock (although the lottery matters too!). however if you are sure that you will upgrade to an unlocked processor in the future, might as well get an 4690k and spend some extra money on the cooler, you can reuse it your next build!

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

4690k w h100gtx passing by... go for the e3 you'll have to spend extra money on a good cooler to get a good overclock (although the lottery matters too!). however if you are sure that you will upgrade to an unlocked processor in the future, might as well get an 4690k and spend some extra money on the cooler, you can reuse it your next build!

You can't overclock Xeons?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats