Is there a way to have your pump speed/power/voltage correlate directly with your PC usage?

Go to solution Solved by Ghost,

Going to ignore all above replies as they seem long. Sorry!

Answering your question there are PWM variants of the DDC and D5 pump (these aren't the only ones). Plug that into your motherboard with some fan control software (asus motherboards with Fan Xpert 2 are great for this) and you have a pump speed curve for your pump.

Hi guys,

Just putting this here in case he misses it: @Ghost

As the title says, is there a way to set up my pump to speed up when I use my PC more (such as when I am gaming or whatever) and to slow down when I am just browsing the web/watching youtube?

I would not want it running at 100% or whatever speed I set it to all the time as, in my mind, that would decrease it's overall life span. 

I imagine there may be software to do this.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You have to connect it to the same thing like a fan controller that has voltage regulation. Aquacomputer does their pump and fan controller that has support for this but not sure about others.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

It is trough fan controller if your pump have same connector than your fans.

I think the T-Balancer work like that, but I'm not 100% sure. Of course it only works when your components begin to heat up.

You have to connect it to the same thing like a fan controller that has voltage regulation. Aquacomputer does their pump and fan controller that has support for this but not sure about others.

Thanks for the fast responses. I am glad it looks like what I want to do will be possible. 

Hmm, I may have to wire it in a semi-ghetto fashion. We will see. I will look into the T-balancer and see if it will work best with the configuration I have in mind.

Will having something change the Pump voltage potentially hurt the pump? I thought of that when I considered this, as I know some things simply do not like their voltage being changed on-the-fly. Not sure if pumps are like that or not.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It won't damage the pump, but you will probably want a tachometer wire running to your mobo to warn if your pump is not powered on. If you use a controller on the pump it is possible to set the pump at a (then) functioning voltage that is lower than start up voltage.

Note some pumps also have circuitry that may not function properly if undervolted.

I think you'd be better off with a variable D5 running at a moderate speed rather than controlling it from the motherboard. The complexity of the issue (to me, anyway) doesn't seem worth the benefit.

Error: 410

Will having something change the Pump voltage potentially hurt the pump? I thought of that when I considered this, as I know some things simply do not like their voltage being changed on-the-fly. Not sure if pumps are like that or not.

I depends on the pump. Most newer pumps can handle to be undervolted. For example the pump in my system can't be undervolted (about 5 years old) and the one in my wifes machine can (2 years old). But no, if your pump can be undervolted it shouldn't take damage 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It won't damage the pump, but you will probably want a tachometer wire running to your mobo to warn if your pump is not powered on. If you use a controller on the pump it is possible to set the pump at a (then) functioning voltage that is lower than start up voltage.

Note some pumps also have circuitry that may not function properly if undervolted.

I think you'd be better off with a variable D5 running at a moderate speed rather than controlling it from the motherboard.

I depends on the pump. Most newer pumps can handle to be undervolted. For example the pump in my system can't be undervolted (about 5 years old) and the one in my wifes machine can (2 years old). But no, if your pump can be undervolted it shouldn't take damage 

Well I was going to have a Variable D5. However, I do not want to have to change it when I start doing something extreme and I do not want to let it run at a set speed all the time. So undervolting is all I got. I assume the D5 will handle it fine. 

What would the Tachometer connect to on the motherboard? A 4 pin fan header?

† Christian Member †

Well I was going to have a Variable D5. However, I do not want to have to change it when I start doing something extreme and I do not want to let it run at a set speed all the time. So undervolting is all I got. I assume the D5 will handle it fine. 

What would the Tachometer connect to on the motherboard? A 4 pin fan header?

A four pin should be fine as I can't imagine why your board wouldn't accept it, but typically it's a 3 pin header for better compatibility

Error: 410

if your motherboard has a fan header that can do voltage control rather than pwm you could try and run the pump straight off a header but first check how much wattage your motherboard kicks out through the fan headers and make sure your pump doesn't exceed it you could use an arduino to take the voltage reading from the fan header and let a certain amount of voltage through to your pump direct from the power supply.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Hi guys,

Just putting this here in case he misses it: @Ghost

As the title says, is there a way to set up my pump to speed up when I use my PC more (such as when I am gaming or whatever) and to slow down when I am just browsing the web/watching youtube?

I would not want it running at 100% or whatever speed I set it to all the time as, in my mind, that would decrease it's overall life span. 

I imagine there may be software to do this.

Thanks,

Vitalius

at 50,000hr MTBF (5.7yr 24/7) rating i wouldn't think slowing it down means to add

any life expectancy. usually under-volting adds heat as the components are "spec'd"

at supply voltage.

is all this inquiry to promote longer pump life?

airdeano

A four pin should be fine as I can't imagine why your board wouldn't accept it, but typically it's a 3 pin header for better compatibility

Cool.

if your motherboard has a fan header that can do voltage control rather than pwm you could try and run the pump straight off a header but first check how much wattage your motherboard kicks out through the fan headers and make sure your pump doesn't exceed it you could use an arduino to take the voltage reading from the fan header and let a certain amount of voltage through to your pump direct from the power supply.

Interesting. I will probably go with a fan header honestly.

at 50,000hr MTBF (5.7yr 24/7) rating i wouldn't think slowing it down means to add

any life expectancy. usually under-volting adds heat as the components are "spec'd"

at supply voltage.

is all this inquiry to promote longer pump life?

airdeano

Yes. My rig will last longer than 5 years. Unless natural disaster occurs, but ... that is not likely. I do not mind the heat so long as said heat does not in turn shorten the life of the pump, which would defeat the purpose of undervolting it.

† Christian Member †

Interesting. I will probably go with a fan header honestly.

What motherboard have you got?

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

What motherboard have you got?

ASRock Extreme4 Z77 ATX

It has 2x3 pin fan headers and 1x4 pin fan header. 

Then again, I can solder more on if need be (there are places for them). ... I will do a metric ton of research before I touch my motherboard with a soldering iron first, but I believe it is possible.

† Christian Member †

I do not mind the heat so long as said heat does not in turn shorten the life of the pump, which would defeat the purpose of undervolting it.

my point exactly. the heat does effect life expectancy. it is an un-planned spec.

rated 12v-24v, can run 8v (usually start voltage) supply voltage.

if plans are for a vario (5-step selector) you'll spend a lot of time switching speeds.

its best to find the slowest, best thermal, and quietest setting tolerable and go with

that. switching speeds really doesn't subtract monster degrees of performance.

i kinda stay on the track of set it all up on one speed and worry about other systems

than if the fans/pump are throttling and what the temperatures are doing.. just making

more work (limited or no return) for short amounts of gains.

airdeano

my point exactly. the heat does effect life expectancy. it is an un-planned spec.

rated 12v-24v, can run 8v (usually start voltage) supply voltage.

if plans are for a vario (5-step selector) you'll spend a lot of time switching speeds.

its best to find the slowest, best thermal, and quietest setting tolerable and go with

that. switching speeds really doesn't subtract monster degrees of performance.

i kinda stay on the track of set it all up on one speed and worry about other systems

than if the fans/pump are throttling and what the temperatures are doing.. just making

more work (limited or no return) for short amounts of gains.

airdeano

Alrighty then. Thanks for your input. I will probably just set it to the lowest setting and be done with it. :)

† Christian Member †

you'll play with pump speed and fan speed to get that "balance" depending on

hardware used. what works for one build might be totally wrong for another build.

too slow on pump might mean more fan speed to make up the thermal differences.

airdeano

Answering your question there are PWM variants of the DDC and D5 pump (these aren't the only ones). Plug that into your motherboard with some fan control software (asus motherboards with Fan Xpert 2 are great for this) and you have a pump speed curve for your pump.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Oh. Well if there are manufacturer built versions of this, then I will just do that. Thanks Ghost. 

I imagine that since they are made that way, they will run without producing extra heat. Boo ya. :D

† Christian Member †