Dual xeon E5440 system post beep

TV3master

I got a little problem over here, the 8 core gaming pc video set me on to make one myself, i got 2 E5440's

an supermicro X7DCA-L motherboard (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5100/X7DCA-L.cfm)

650W psu and Gpu is going to be an gtx760 (have not bought one yet)

the ram i am suing is on the compatible list for that motherboard: hynix HYMP151P72CP4-Y5 (4 of them, so 16GB in total)

2 of the ram sticks say ab-c while the other just ab on their label.

however, i keep getting long beeps at power on, wich according to the mobo manual has somthing to do with the memory

if i only populate 2 slots there is no beeping, but i don't have anything on my screen.

i tried all possible ram combos, and it looks like there is no bad ram stick (it does never beeb on the 2 sticks config)

the vga jumper is set to enable

i do however have no fans connected (i temporarly use 2 big passive heatsinks for testing, they get warm but not to much)

altrough i doubt that would be the problem since it is quite common to run this mobo with passive heatsinks.

*edit* i have narrowed it down to the 4th ramslot (dimm 2a) i have 1a 1b and 2b populated, and they all work (12GB detected by bios)

i can't get the 4th slot to work however, i tried 5 and 6 but no luck

also, from the moment i get into the bios the mobo is sending out one contiuos beep, a contiuos POST beep means that one off the cpu's is overheating, but this is after boot (the beep stays even while starting up Windows)

if i look into the monitoring section off the bios it says both cpu's sit at 92°c

it says this everytime no matter what, wich makes me believe this is not correct at all

also, if i imediatly take off the heatsink after shutdown the cpu feels cold-warm, definitly not close to 92° (wich is pretty impossible since the cpu's may only go to 67 so they would have been dead if they have gotten 92)

And the overheating led's are als not lid.

I don't have a chassis intrusion swicht connected, but i don't think that is the problemen.

The north bridge heatsink is also getting quite hot after some minutes. (I can barely touch it)

any help would be apreciated :)

Maybe somehow both temperature sensors are faulty? Maybe the northbridge is overheating.

that is like the most unlikely thing that could ever happen...

I would go ahead and contact the super micro support since it rally sounds like something with your motherboard is wrong...

btw is the bios up to date? just asking maybe you can update it and might solve some issues.

Maybe somehow both temperature sensors are faulty? Maybe the northbridge is overheating.

i doubt that it are the sensors as the overheat leds are not on and the fan's only run at like half speed according to bios (and my hearing)

and the northbridge only gets hot after like 5 minutes, so why is the alarm going of directly after boot?

i doubt it has anything to do with those things to be honest, i did notice that the 12V rail is at 11.75 at the connectors (checked with multimeter)

but that should not be the problem as the atx standard specifies a minimum off 11.4 or is it?

going to 1 cpu and 1 stick off ram does not change the voltage alot (11.8v)

that is like the most unlikely thing that could ever happen...

I would go ahead and contact the super micro support since it rally sounds like something with your motherboard is wrong...

btw is the bios up to date? just asking maybe you can update it and might solve some issues.

yeah i was going to do that, first wanted to hear what you guys had to say

bios isn't up to date, the newer version says it has better thermal control so that could be worth the shot (altrough the thing boot without any problems now, and it is only when i go intro the bios or try to start windows (and i really mean try because i don't have alot off luck with that either)

i am in the process of trying to get windows xp working to update the bios

i tried both win 7 and 8 (via usb flash drive since i don't yet have my ssd in the mail)

they however both hang at the startup logo, and do nothing...

if xp won't work i will have to try a linux distro I suppose, any recommendations?

yeah i was going to do that, first wanted to hear what you guys had to say

bios isn't up to date, the newer version says it has better thermal control so that could be worth the shot (altrough the thing boot without any problems now, and it is only when i go intro the bios or try to start windows (and i really mean try because i don't have alot off luck with that either)

i am in the process of trying to get windows xp working to update the bios

i tried both win 7 and 8 (via usb flash drive since i don't yet have my ssd in the mail)

they however both hang at the startup logo, and do nothing...

if xp won't work i will have to try a linux distro I suppose, any recommendations?

just for now i would stop the xp because it wont do you any good, if you just get ubuntu you should be fine, you can easily check weather everything works in there...

just for now i would stop the xp because it wont do you any good, if you just get ubuntu you should be fine, you can easily check weather everything works in there...

i am not sure if i can update the bios from there tho, the bios update is a .exe file or a zip with some files off some kind

i am not sure if i can update the bios from there tho, the bios update is a .exe file or a zip with some files off some kind

you have to update the bios in the bios

you have to update the bios in the bios

not according to the manual, and my xps 12 also got it's biosbupdate trough windows

found how to update the bios via the bios :)

anoying beeb has stopped, temps show up as "low" notthe actual temp anymore, but atleast it does not say it is 92°C...

the 3 pin fan setting in the bios is gone however, only 4 pin is an option, not a real problem since the fans still work but only at full speed, this is somthing i can pobably solve in the os

going to test windows 7 again (this is probably the os that is going to be used) if it doesn't work i will try ubuntu, but in the end there has to be win 7, 8 or 10 on the pc anyway...

found how to update the bios via the bios :)

anoying beeb has stopped, temps show up as "low" notthe actual temp anymore, but atleast it does not say it is 92°C...

the 3 pin fan setting in the bios is gone however, only 4 pin is an option, not a real problem since the fans still work but only at full speed, this is somthing i can pobably solve in the os

going to test windows 7 again (this is probably the os that is going to be used) if it doesn't work i will try ubuntu, but in the end there has to be win 7, 8 or 10 on the pc anyway...

nice good luck!