Brand new power supply blew up

OPSJono

So I bought the Fractal Design Node 202, the version that came with a 450W SFX PSU.

And after about 10 hours total use, the PSU blew up.

Here's the email I sent to Fractal Design; still waiting for a response (but Christmas period is a thing so I don't think they'll respond as soon as I would like)

"Hi there, I bought the Node 202 + 450W SFX PSU last week.

Today I was using the computer, when the power supply blew up. Loud bang; bright flash and a puff of smoke came from the right side passive intake.

Since this happened I have tested the rest of the computer with a different standard ATX size PSU, and the GPU has also died as a result. It was an EVGA "superclocked" GTX 670.

As the PSU is only one week old, with less than 10 hours use, would I be able to get a replacement PSU and reimbursement as it has also killed the GPU?

Full system specs:
Core i7 6700k; stock speeds; Noctua L9i cooler
32GB DDR4 RAM
EVGA Stinger Mini ITX motherboard
Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
Crucial 500GB SSD
2x Noctua NF-F12's
EVGA SC GTX670 2GB.

Fractal Design Node 202 with included 450W PSU.

Please let me know what the next step is, and if you need any further information feel free to ask.

Thanks, Jonathan."

I'm really surprised that the PSU blew (at all) never mind the fact it's only 10 hours old. with only three of those hours being gaming.

Is this a common thing with lower wattage PSU's? - My Corsair TX750 is still working like a champ, pretty much 5 years after I got it, and the AX1200i I had before in the PC I sold was again, still working like a champ after 3 years of use.

Anyone have any thoughts on why it could have blown?

I don't think the parts I put in the system need more power than the PSU can deliver, considering Jayztwocents have the same PSU with a GTX 970 in it.

Anyway, rip my brand new PSU. :(

RIP PSU and GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I think it was too much power drawn from your rig, especially seeing as that power supply probably was not a very good one.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

-Snip-

I feel sorry for you. I really hope you get your money back and some reimbursement for the GPU.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

lesson learned for using psus that come with cases

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

It's not common for lower wattage units, it's common for lower quality units. The majority of power supplies sold with cases are very low quality, and incapable of safely delivering their rated wattages. I would have hoped for more from Fractal Design.

maybe test the system with corsair psu and see if it still works. It would be a Christmas Miracle! 

The Cake is a Lie...

I think it was too much power drawn from your rig, especially seeing as that power supply probably was not a very good one.

But I thought I should have been ok given that other people have used components that draw more power, check out jayztwocents video on the Node 202.

I feel sorry for you. I really hope you get your money back and some reimbursement for the GPU.

Yeah, me too. :(

lesson learned for using psus that come with cases

I've never used a PSU that came with a case before (other than a pre-built PC years and years ago).

It's not common for lower wattage units, it's common for lower quality units. The majority of power supplies sold with cases are very low quality, and incapable of safely delivering their rated wattages. I would have hoped for more from Fractal Design.

But Fractal are a good company and I like their products, thought they would have had a good quality PSU. Because you can buy the PSU that's included on it's own (it doesn't have to come with a case).

maybe test the system with corsair psu and see if it still works. It would be a Christmas Miracle! 

I did do, GPU kinda works, it works until it requires horsepower then it stops working. (massive artefacts and then turns output off.) - Doesn't work for it's required purpose, going to need to get a new one. :(

looks like your system was/is using more than 450 watts.

lets hope you 'll get a possitive response from fractal.

The site has changed....

Seems to be what everyone thinks.

it's only a 80+ Bronze PSU, and 450Watts. The 760 alone is recommended for a 500W PSU

also, they're always gonna make a dodgy unit once in a while. it's luck of the draw.

It's a GTX 670 I was using, not the 760. :)

I ran calcs on http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it came back with:

Load Wattage:341 W

Recommended UPS rating:700 VA

Recommended PSU Wattage:391 W

And it's a 450W, so I'm guessing it must of been a faulty unit. I guess it's possible, but I doubt my system was drawing more power than required.

Because the night before I was gaming harder and for longer and it was fine for 2 hours gaming + 5 hours watching Amazon Prime video.

But this time 20 minutes of playing Rocket League and it blew. :(

-snip-

did you also add any overclock on the cpu/gpu and the voltages , on the calculator? because it tends to give differnet results when adjusting the voltage

The site has changed....

did you also add any overclock on the cpu/gpu and the voltages , on the calculator? because it tends to give differnet results when adjusting the voltage

Nope I left it all on the default. Because I didn't overclock or change anything from default on any of my parts. I assumed the default on that site would be the same (or close enough) to the stock speeds of the parts.

But I thought I should have been ok given that other people have used components that draw more power, check out jayztwocents video on the Node 202.

Yeah, me too. :(

I've never used a PSU that came with a case before (other than a pre-built PC years and years ago).

But Fractal are a good company and I like their products, thought they would have had a good quality PSU. Because you can buy the PSU that's included on it's own (it doesn't have to come with a case).

Irreverent. Using a psu coming with a case is practically buying a lotto ticket. Few hits and much misses.

Not with a stock 6700K and a GTX 670. It shouldn't even be drawing over 300W.

it's only a 80+ Bronze PSU, and 450Watts. The 760 alone is recommended for a 500W PSU

also, they're always gonna make a dodgy unit once in a while. it's luck of the draw.

The efficiency rating doesn't matter, and the official PSU recommendations are exaggerated. But that's in part to cover for dodgy units.

Not with a stock 6700K and a GTX 670. It shouldn't even be drawing over 300W.

The efficiency rating doesn't matter, and the official PSU recommendations are exaggerated. But that's in part to cover for dodgy units.

Yeah I thought they were exaggerated to account for a high power-draw CPU being used/OC'd with the given GPU.

Jesus Christ guys, a 680 and 3770k with hefty overclocks hits 350W, he had enough wattage....

That Fractal unit in there is not listed on realhardX's OEM list so I would assume it was just some random silver unit, eh? I'd guess that it was just a shitty PSU tbh.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The PSU in the Node 202 is a Fractal Design Integra SFX 450w. It's essentially a FSP unit based on the GHS platform. Basically, this PSU.  http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fsp300-60ghs-power-supply-review/

And it isn't so bad that it should have blown in 10 hours.

As for your system, I've seen an i7 2600k build with a GTX 670 powered on a Seasonic G 360, had a system with a 680 and 2500k OCed on a Rosewill Capstone 450w, and there's even a Northwest Falcon build powering a Titan with an overclocked 3770K on a Silverstone SFX 450w Gold. While it isn't as good as these three units mentioned, that Integra SFX should have been able to power a non-OCed system with a card that draw under 200wDC.

The PSU in the Node 202 is a Fractal Design Integra SFX 450w. It's essentially a FSP unit based on the GHS platform. Basically, this PSU.  http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fsp300-60ghs-power-supply-review/

And it isn't so bad that it should have blown in 10 hours.

As for your system, I've seen an i7 2600k build with a GTX 670 powered on a Seasonic G 360, had a system with a 680 and 2500k OCed on a Rosewill Capstone 450w, and there's even a Northwest Falcon build powering a Titan with an overclocked 3770K on a Silverstone SFX 450w Gold. While it isn't as good as these three units mentioned, that Integra SFX should have been able to power a non-OCed system with a card that draw under 200wDC.

Yeah, what this guy said. ^.^

Fractal have asked me for proof of purchase and stuff, they're going to collect it for techincal examination to see what happened, and hopefully get me a replacement!

Jesus Christ guys, a 680 and 3770k with hefty overclocks hits 350W, he had enough wattage....

By the way, that's a terrible video full of misinformation. He doesn't understand how power supply wattage and efficiency works, at all. He thinks an 80% efficient 1000W unit will only deliver up to 800W to the components, when actually any 1000W power supply will (if it lives up to its rating, anyway) deliver up to 1000W to the components - all the efficiency changes is how much more power it draws from the wall.

But that just means you can multiply all the wattages he's measuring by something like 0.90 to get the actual power the components draw from the power supply (the wattage that actually matters with regard to power supply wattage ratings). So in the CPU + GPU load test, that power draw was actually less than 320W.

Since @OPSJono has a CPU with about the same TDP and a GPU with a slightly lower TDP, and had not overclocked either of them, I think it's pretty likely his power draw would have been less than 300W in the same scenario.

By the way, that's a terrible video full of misinformation. He doesn't understand how power supply wattage and efficiency works, at all. He thinks an 80% efficient 1000W unit will only deliver up to 800W to the components, when actually any 1000W power supply will (if it lives up to its rating, anyway) deliver up to 1000W to the components - all the efficiency changes is how much more power it draws from the wall.

But that just means you can multiply all the wattages he's measuring by something like 0.90 to get the actual power the components draw from the power supply (the wattage that actually matters with regard to power supply wattage ratings). So in the CPU + GPU load test, that power draw was actually less than 320W.

Since @OPSJono has a CPU with about the same TDP and a GPU with a slightly lower TDP, and had not overclocked either of them, I think it's pretty likely his power draw would have been less than 300W in the same scenario.

I know he mislabeled 80 PLUS efficiency. That I understand. But the point still stands that the OP isn't using a million watts like everybody thinks.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||