WD Caviar Blue Vanishing Drives

vutonium

Hello people

I have an Asus Maximus Hero VIII running Intel i7 6700K and I have 2 WD Blue 1TB drives installed in my system. Windows 10 idle timeout is set to 5 minutes and the drives spin down after 5 minutes of inactivity. Although one of the drives (HDD1) has its drive letters and the device itself missing from windows explorer and the device manager. The other HDD (HDD2)shows up just fine. The drives and the device are there and when I click on the partition from the other HDD, I can hear it spin up. But I cannot access HDD1 since the drives aren't there. 

Moreover, when I have to shut down windows, it tries to spin both drives up, but can spin up only HDD2 and it keeps waiting. Cannot shut down normally once HDDs sleep. Have to force shut down. Only HDD1 has this issue. 

Please help.

Thanks.

Could be a failing logic board on drive one. Until this is fixed, set your drives to not spin down.

My native language is C++

~snip~

Hey there vutonium :)

Do you have anything important on that drive? If yes I would recommend backing it up just to be on the safe side :)
I'd try the drive with another SATA cable, on another port and possibly on another computer and see if the problems persist.
Check if the drive is properly recognized in BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management and make sure the OS and the drivers have their latest updates. :) 
I would also download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. This should give you a good idea if the drive is safe to use or not. Here's a link to the drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=t63sxI
I'd also check the SATA power cables from the PSU and make sure they are providing adequate power to the drive. :)

Post back with some results from the tests,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I don't have anything important on that drive. I did the basic and the extended tests using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard and it passed both. Swapped SATA and power cables around. Still the exact same behaviour. I think it is a setting somewhere that is causing it. 

Do you guys keep ASPM support ON or OFF?

Do you guys keep Aggressive LPM Support Enabled or Disabled?

Do you guys keep HotSwap Notification ON or OFF?

~snip~

Hey again :) Did you try the drive on other SATA ports and on another computer? 
I'd reset the motherboard settings to the default ones and see if that fixes the problem. If not I'd call the support of the motherboard's manufacturer and ask for some guidance on how to properly configure the settings. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/