:D My very first build ever, thoughts and suggestions. approx. 1,400$ budget

Cytryz

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cytryz/saved/#view=hQjFf7

I don't want to get into overclocking so I hope the stock cpu cooler is enough and I bought 4 120mm fans since the case comes with 1 fan and has 5 spots total for fans.

I also have a copy of windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

My budget like in the title is  approximately 1400$

I was wondering if I could get more bang for my buck or did I make any silly mistakes.

I mainly bounced back and forth between amazon/newegg since I have bought from them before and I trust them.

I want to use this as both a gaming pc and a pc for digital creation via photoshop and zbrush.

Pretty much any game right now I hope to put on ultra and run on 1080p 55fps or higher. 4k 30fps or higher. Ranging from titles like LoL, Tombraider, Battlefront, Shadows of Mordor, Assassin's creed games, Overwatch, Crysis , etc.

I also want to get into VR when it comes Q1 2016.

I'm super new and I've been at this for 2 days on and off and any help or suggestions I can get would be greatly appreciated.

PC building is something I want to get into and I hope to improve upon this build over the next coming year.  

I also was wondering if I could get some unbiased opinions on whether or not AMD would be a better route to pursue. It was a really tough decision for me and I am also hoping for insight from those that have experience with  all 3 Intel,AMD, Nvidia when it comes to both cpu and gpus.

Again thank you so much for the help. :)

IMHO if your are in us and purchase through pcpartpicker

you should go with skylake because price is the same,change only cpu+MB+ddr4

I would suggest a better psu. The one in the build below is excellent and competitively priced.

The stock cooler will do the job. In heavy gaming and at other times that the cpu is loaded, it may be a little noisy. You might consider adding an inexpensive after market cooler.

An optical drive is not needed to load the o/s and most new builds don't bother with one.

Consider going with Skylake. Mostly because it is the latest tech and will therefore have a bit more staying power.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($639.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1417.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-23 02:52 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I would suggest a better psu. The one in the build below is excellent and competitively priced.

The stock cooler will do the job. In heavy gaming and at other times that the cpu is loaded, it may be a little noisy. You might consider adding an inexpensive after market cooler.

An optical drive is not needed to load the o/s and most new builds don't bother with one.

Consider going with Skylake. Mostly because it is the latest tech and will therefore have a bit more staying power.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($43.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($259.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($639.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1417.92

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-23 02:52 EST-0500

That's really nice. I like the case you found more imo. 30$ too. I never considered the Micro motherboards.

So do you think more fans would be good or the 2 fans included plus  the cpu cooler would be sufficient?  and also will that 8gb of ram make much of a difference from the 16gb?

I did originally have that psu on my list because I saw EVGA but the reviews of DOAs and fried computers made me worry, that's why I had the other one that had like no bad reviews. 

I have to say thank you quite a bit for taking the time to select each part, sorry I didn't realize they had some kind of embedder for forums or else I'd of posted it that way.

also thank you, I didn't think about the OS not being needed. so used to just the disc or pre-installed.

Probably better overall for gaming if you have a free-sync display, you can also get a 1080p 144hz TN free-sync display for around the same price

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G2BN8d

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G2BN8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: LG 29UM67 60Hz 29.0" Monitor  ($309.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1235.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-23 04:47 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

That's really nice. I like the case you found more imo. 30$ too. I never considered the Micro motherboards.

So do you think more fans would be good or the 2 fans included plus  the cpu cooler would be sufficient?  and also will that 8gb of ram make much of a difference from the 16gb?

I did originally have that psu on my list because I saw EVGA but the reviews of DOAs and fried computers made me worry, that's why I had the other one that had like no bad reviews. 

I have to say thank you quite a bit for taking the time to select each part, sorry I didn't realize they had some kind of embedder for forums or else I'd of posted it that way.

also thank you, I didn't think about the OS not being needed. so used to just the disc or pre-installed.

I would start with the stock fans. They should be enough, but one can easily add others if it proves necessary.

For current gaming 8GB is quite sufficient. Video and photo editing would benefit from more but that is ameliorated by all ssd storage. Besides, one can always add more memory should it become necessary. One also has to be mindful of budget. Going with 16GB would require a sacrifice in some other area.

Like Corsair, EVGA does not actually build any psu. The one I listed is built by FSP. EVGA markets a wide variety of psu from different oem. In the last few years they have started to offer excellent psu. Older models are not nearly as good. Here is a technical review of the psu in the build I posted, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=454.

To include a formatted list from pcpartpicker, click on the [cc] button of the Markup tool ribbon above the build list. Copy and paste the contents of the window that pops.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.