Confused with power cables for MSI GTX 980

QuantumXD
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

The only other VGA cable I have is the 6+2 which has the extra 6 pins, do I use that one?

yeap

So I installed my GTX 980 to my motherboard but I'm confused with which cables I plug what to my graphics card, I'm supposed to plug a PCI-E cable but my says VGA is that right? Also if it is VGA, I have two cables, one has a 6+2 pin, plus a 4 pin, and the other one just has a 6+2 pin also my graphics card comes with a 6 to 8 pin adapter but the 8 pin part is missing one at the bottom right but my graphics has all 8 on both inserts. What I'm I suppose to do?

post-289181-0-20277800-1450841529_thumb.

post-289181-0-76471700-1450841546_thumb.

post-289181-0-25247300-1450841563_thumb.

post-289181-0-15994300-1450842249_thumb.

could you post pictures of the plugs and the GPU?

you should only need to use 6 pin and a 6+2 pin

those plugs labeled VGA are for the GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

the second pic is what you need to plug into your GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Use two 6+2

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Use two 6+2

The one that only has a 6+2? Also to which port do I plug the cable to my graphics card?

The one that only has a 6+2? Also to which port do I plug the cable to my graphics card?

yes it still a 8 pin

and you can plug to any ports

yes it still a 8 pin

and you can plug to any ports

So it doesn't matter if one port for the graphics card is empty?

The Graphics card also came with a 6 to 8 pin connector do I need that at all?

So it doesn't matter if one port for the graphics card is empty?

The Graphics card also came with a 6 to 8 pin connector do I need that at all?

you cant boot the GPU with just one plug

you wont need to use it since your PSU has enough power plugs

6+2 pin 

As far as i know 6+2=8 

so you put the 6 pin next to the 2 pin and now u have 8.....

U already have an 8 pin so now you will thus have TWO 8 pin connectors (enough for the 980)

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

you cant boot the GPU with just one plug

you wont need to use it since your PSU has enough power plugs

Because you said to use the 6+2 connector and that can only connect to one port?

post-289181-0-81298900-1450842662_thumb.

Because you said to use the 6+2 connector and that can only connect to one port?

when you join the 6+2 pins together it becomes a 8 pin plug

you plug that to one

and then the other 8 pin goes into the other hole

what you have in the second pic...both of those goes into your graphics card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

what you have in the second pic...both of those goes into your graphics card.

From what I interpreted from that picture is the 6+2 is for the graphics card and the other side to the power supply.

If they are indeed two different cables then I agree.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

when you join the 6+2 pins together it becomes a 8 pin plug

you plug that to one

and then the other 8 pin goes into the other hole

I just noticed that the second photo with the 6+2 Is the one 8 pin on that cable, the other 8 pin is actually the end of the cable which I think is for the power supply, but the other cable which has a 6+2 pin plus a 6 pin could be the one? That's why I was asking if that 6 to 8 pin adaptor could be used so I can connect it to the 6 pin and make it a 8 pin thus having two 8 pins and the other 8 pin which is for the power supply?

post-289181-0-81425200-1450844199_thumb.

post-289181-0-68885300-1450844218_thumb.

yes the side with 8 pins goes into the PSU

the 6+2 goes to your GPU

the bottom picture is a more of an adapter for PCI-E plug with only 6 pins

yes the side with 8 pins goes into the PSU

the 6+2 goes to your GPU

the bottom picture is a more of an adapter for PCI-E plug with only 6 pins

Okay So I'm going to use this cable?

post-289181-0-25281300-1450844659_thumb.

yes

And be doing this?

Plugging the 6+2 pin connector to the graphics card?

post-289181-0-22326700-1450844765_thumb.

And be doing this?

Plugging the 6+2 pin connector to the graphics card?

yes

yes

But the other port for the graphics card will be empty? Since the cable I'm using only has one 6+2.

But the other port for the graphics card will be empty? Since the cable I'm using only has one 6+2.

use another power cable and do the same