Can anyone help me in my venture to overclocking my GPU?

OrangeTrick

I have a Zotac amp! extreme gtx 980 ti and I want to overclock it. I'm a noob at this so I don't know much but I'm really willing to learn how to overclock.

I'm using msi afterburner as my overclocking tool and I'm just wondering how to start up. I watched a video by JayzTwoCents saying that I should tinker first with the core clock until I reach an unstable run on Valley. I'm confused on this as I dont know if what he means by unstable is crashing, or artifacting. I input a +75 on the core clock which put my gpu on a 1500 mhz clock speed. It ran Valley and never crashed, but started to show artifacts. Is this also considered unstable?

Another question of mine is how I should deal with the Core voltage. Is it okay for me to just max it out right at the beginning or should I just reach an unstable clock (by crashing or starting to artifact I dont really know) then incrementally increase the core voltage?

Lastly, I want to know how to overclock the memory as well. On Jay's tutorial, he went with the order of tinkering the memory clock first, then the core voltage, then the memory. If after I have done the first two and was stable then started overclocking the memory, would an unstable run at Valley (again by either crashing or artifacting, pls answer this question) be an indication of my memory's overclocking limit?

Thanks for everyone who will answer these questions and helping me to overclock. I will do my best to update you guys on what happens next :)

P.S.: My GPU's asic quality is 76.6%. How much should I expect from this. I really don't know anything. LOL

I have a Zotac amp! extreme gtx 980 ti and I want to overclock it. I'm a noob at this so I don't know much but I'm really willing to learn how to overclock.

I'm using msi afterburner as my overclocking tool and I'm just wondering how to start up. I watched a video by JayzTwoCents saying that I should tinker first with the core clock until I reach an unstable run on Valley. I'm confused on this as I dont know if what he means by unstable is crashing, or artifacting. I input a +75 on the core clock which put my gpu on a 1500 mhz clock speed. It ran Valley and never crashed, but started to show artifacts. Is this also considered unstable?

Another question of mine is how I should deal with the Core voltage. Is it okay for me to just max it out right at the beginning or should I just reach an unstable clock (by crashing or starting to artifact I dont really know) then incrementally increase the core voltage?

Lastly, I want to know how to overclock the memory as well. On Jay's tutorial, he went with the order of tinkering the memory clock first, then the core voltage, then the memory. If after I have done the first two and was stable then started overclocking the memory, would an unstable run at Valley (again by either crashing or artifacting, pls answer this question) be an indication of my memory's overclocking limit?

Thanks for everyone who will answer these questions and helping me to overclock. I will do my best to update you guys on what happens next :)

P.S.: My GPU's asic quality is 76.6%. How much should I expect from this. I really don't know anything. LOL

Artifacting is considered unstable.  When you reach your max stable core clock without a voltage increase, increase the voltage by 10mV and push the OC farther.  When the Core clock becomes unstable, back it down by 10-15Mhz and retest.  Repeat until you max out the voltage.  Once you've found your max stable Core clock, begin pushing the Memory.  Start with +100Mhz on the memory and keep going until you reach something unstable.  Back it down by 25-50Mhz until it becomes stable again.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Artifacting is considered unstable.  When you reach your max stable core clock without a voltage increase, increase the voltage by 10mV and push the OC farther.  When the Core clock becomes unstable, back it down by 10-15Mhz and retest.  Repeat until you max out the voltage.  Once you've found your max stable Core clock, begin pushing the Memory.  Start with +100Mhz on the memory and keep going until you reach something unstable.  Back it down by 25-50Mhz until it becomes stable again.

Thanks!

Question! Is it okay to go more than 1500 mhz? My reading on MSI afterburner with a +70 on the core clock had me at 1512 mhz and the line is yellow. Am I still good to go further? No changes were made besides the core clock and its stable after I run a full valley benchmark.

Question! Is it okay to go more than 1500 mhz? My reading on MSI afterburner with a +70 on the core clock had me at 1512 mhz and the line is yellow. Am I still good to go further? No changes were made besides the core clock and its stable after I run a full valley benchmark.

If it's stable, it's good.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Yes the yellow line in MSI afterburner is completely arbitrary and is simply set off at the 1500mhz threshold (you can actually change the threshold in the settings of MSI afterburner). All yellow means is you've got a fast card  :D

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

Yes the yellow line in MSI afterburner is completely arbitrary and is simply set off at the 1500mhz threshold (you can actually change the threshold in the settings of MSI afterburner). All yellow means is you've got a fast card  :D

If it's stable, it's good.

Yay! Cool!