CPU Heatsink without a fan

hhamama66

I currently have a 4790k running at stock clock speed with a hyper 212 Evo over it. The problem is, the included fan gets a little too loud at times. My case is a corsair 780t with two 140mm intakes and one 140mm exhaust directly behind the heatsink, would it be a good idea to remove the fan currently on the heatsink?

i had a similar issue with my AMD heatsink i would try dealing with them for now and then get something like a corsair H55 when you can afford one you wont regret it

PC:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.25GHz

RAM: 32GB Patriot Viper Steel 15-15-15-36 @ 3600MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 

GPU: Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil 

SSD: 500GB 970 Evo Plus, 500GB Pioneer NVMe, 480GB BX500 SATA.

PSU: Corsair AX1600i 

Cooling: EKWB Watercooling 

Case: O11 Dynamic XL + EKWB Reflection distro plate 

Laptop: Framework Batch 10

I5-1135G7

24GB 2400MHz

500GB PM951

You can remove the heat sink fan, yes. This will cause a rise in temperatures and possibly remove the ability to overclock. You also may want to turn the rear exhaust into an intake fan for more airflow, however this is optional. 

You can remove the heat sink fan, yes. This will cause a rise in temperatures and possibly remove the ability to overclock. You also may want to turn the rear exhaust into an intake fan for more airflow, however this is optional. 

My processor is currently sitting at 35 degrees on the hottest core and 28 on the lowest. I'm not very interested in overclocking at the moment, I would however consider overclocking if I upgrade my GPU and I notice that my CPU has started to become a bottleneck

How is the fan getting hot? If that's the case replace the fan. Fans don't or I should say shouldn't get hot. If they do there's a problem with the fan.

Never mind, load not hot. Same advice, replace the fan with a quiet one.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You can run a heatsink without a fan, but you'll have to carefully watch your temperatures. With nothing forcing cool air through the heatsink, much of the heat will become trapped in the heatsink instead of being pulled away from the CPU. Generally, running fanless requires a much bigger heatsink to be used than one with with a fan. The 212 EVO fanless might not be big enough for a 4790K to be used at full load.

It would probably be a better idea to limit the current fan to a slow fixed RPM instead of taking it completely off. You should be able to set a new fan curve in the bios.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

You can run a heatsink without a fan, but you'll have to carefully watch your temperatures. With nothing forcing cool air through the heatsink, much of the heat will become trapped in the heatsink instead of being pulled away from the CPU. Generally, running fanless requires a much bigger heatsink to be used than one with with a fan. The 212 EVO might not be big enough for a 4790K to be used at full load.

It would probably be a better idea to limit the current fan to a slow fixed RPM instead of taking it completely off. You should be able to set a new fan curve in the bios. 

My concern is that the fan is too loud at idle. Also, the most I do with my system is gaming and the hyper 212 can keep my 4790k at 50-56 degrees max most of the time. I don't use the processor at full load to be honest. Also, I have a 140mm fan directly behind it as exhaust

The fan is there for a reason. Replace it with a quiet fan, don't risk your PC over something as silly as this.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

My concern is that the fan is too loud at idle. Also, the most I do with my system is gaming and the hyper 212 can keep my 4790k at 50-56 degrees max most of the time. I don't use the processor at full load to be honest. Also, I have a 140mm fan directly behind it as exhaust

'Meant to say that the 212 might not be big enough to run fanless with a 4790k..

Anywhoo, it doesn't hurt to try it fanless if you pay close attention to your temperatures. If it jumps up to 90 when you open a game, you may need to stick the fan back in there and look into other options. For instance, you may need to run the rear 140mm fan at a higher speed to help compensate for the missing 120.

Aside from that, two other options are to get a higher quality aftermarket fan or buy a bigger heat sink.

If you do try to run it fanless, it may not be a bad idea to try to undervolt the CPU a little bit to reduce its heat output. Not by much, though it may help a tiny bit.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Mayne buy a noctua fan and use that instead?

Or buy an expensive passive cpu cooler?

Hyper 212 is nowhere near big enough to cool that cpu passively.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.