Looking to do Some Future-Proofing in January

As the title says, I am planning on doing some light upgrades in January. I want a case that can support future hardware upgrades (board, GPU, PSU, etc...)

As it is right now, my system doesn't overheat or run at concerning temps, but it would be nice to have some proper airflow, especially considering the fact my graphics card JUST fits in the current Dell case. I don't think it is too good for my graphics card to be the ceiling of a "basement." lol. I am hoping for some advice from people here, seeing as how I have not worked with an aftermarket case since 2003. In 2006 I got a job which required a lot of travel, and I transitioned into laptops during that upgrade cycle, and this is my first desktop since. I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some decent case models based on my needs, budget, and desires.

• Air-cooling. (I do not want to deal with water-cooling, either cost or maintenance)
  • Cable management (I would like to streamline the cables and improve airflow)
  • Graphics card support (I currently have a GTX 960, but am considering swapping it out for an R9 380, or upgrading to a 4GB model)
  • Simple, clean, modern (I do not want anything that reminds me of the Alienware cases from the mid 2000's)
  • Window (I would like to add some lighting)
  • Basement for PSU (To funnel that heat out of the case better)
  • Modular or varied drive mounting solution, which doesn't block large graphics cards from being installed (At least 2 SSD mounts, and 2 to 4 3.5" MHD mounts)
  • Light enough to sit on a case-shelf mounted on the side of my desk (The height is adjustable to accommodate full-size towers, but I'm not sure how strong the bracing is.)
  • $150 or less preferred, but willing to spend up to $200 on something more perfect.
  • Must have at least one Optical Drive Bay.

I would also entertain the idea of an "inverted" case (window in right side) so I can mount the case on a shelf on the wall, and have the components on display.)

For sure though... Function before flash.

Thank you!

• CPU: Intel i5 4460
  • Motherboard: Dell Inc. 088DT1
  • RAM: 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (8GBx1 + 4GBx1 - Whatever brand Dell put in.)
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 (EVGA 2GB - TIGHT fit!)
  • Case: Dell case
  • Storage: 2TB MHD (Included with Dell), and 240 GB Intel 535 SSD boot-drive
  • Cooling: Air - Basic for now, plan on upgrading to Cougar fans in Jan/Aug when I upgrade the case.

~Cynical~

• Graphics card support (I currently have a GTX 960, but am considering swapping it out for an R9 380, or upgrading to a 4GB model)

That's not a thing, just a waste of money.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well if you want inverted the Corsair 600c just came out, and it looks pretty good

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Corsair 600C?

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Future proofing can't be achieved. Also, changing a 960 with a 380 would give you 2-3 extra fps, definitely not worth spending 200$ for.

A good case is the nzxt s340, it should meet all your requirements except a separate psu compartment, but trust me when i say you don't need it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

only things you can really "future proof" right now is psu ram and case 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

That's not a thing, just a waste of money.

I'm not considering it for FPS purposes. See reply to comment below...

Future proofing can't be achieved. Also, changing a 960 with a 380 would give you 2-3 extra fps, definitely not worth spending 200$ for.

A good case is the nzxt s340, it should meet all your requirements except a separate psu compartment, but trust me when i say you don't need it.

The desire to change to 380 is driven by my horrible experiences with nvidia drivers on Windows 10. I am tired of using a months-old driver because they can't seem to release another stable one. Tired of the monitor flickering when I change to web pages with videos. Tired of running out of VRAM in some games (hence the need for 4GB instead of 2GB.)

@Sauron & @ZetZet: I'm not prepared to get into an argument about nvidia vs AMD, as I am not a loyalist to either brand, and really don't want the headache. I have my reasons, which are good enough for me, who is the one person whose opinion should matter on this topic. It has been made clear to me on this forum already that hardware choice discussions are pointless.

I don't need a PSU compartment, it's just something I think would be nice.

only things you can really "future proof" right now is psu ram and case 

Which is why I am asking about cases... I will clarify that in the OP.

~Cynical~

The desire to change to 380 is driven by my horrible experiences with nvidia drivers on Windows 10. I am tired of using a months-old driver because they can't seem to release another stable one. Tired of the monitor flickering when I change to web pages with videos. Tired of running out of VRAM in some games (hence the need for 4GB instead of 2GB.)

@Sauron & @ZetZet: I'm not prepared to get into an argument about nvidia vs AMD, as I am not a loyalist to either brand, and really don't want the headache. I have my reasons, which are good enough for me, who is the one person whose opinion should matter on this topic. It has been made clear to me on this forum already that hardware choice discussions are pointless.

I don't need a PSU compartment, it's just something I think would be nice.

I still wouldn't consider a slightly superior driver experience to be worth 200$ and throwing away a perfectly functional gpu. If you really don't want the 960 anymore at this point I'd advise to step it up and go for an r9 390 (or an r9 290 if you can still find them).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I still wouldn't consider a slightly superior driver experience to be worth 200$ and throwing away a perfectly functional gpu. If you really don't want the 960 anymore at this point I'd advise to step it up and go for an r9 390 (or an r9 290 if you can still find them).

The 390 will eat up too much budget, and I can sell the 960 if I swap it out, seeing as how it will still be less than 6 months old and never overclocked or tampered with.

I can get a Saphire 290 from Newegg, so that could be a thing.

S340. Cheap, looks nice, small, comes in various colours and has a PSU shroud I think.

I like the design, but I need at least one optical drive bay, because I still like having a DVD or Blu-Ray player installed for the occasions when I need them.

I will add that to the requirements on the OP.

That reminds me of the Alienware-style cases from back in the day. Color is nice, but it's just "overdesigned" IMO.

Well if you want inverted the Corsair 600c just came out, and it looks pretty good

I was considering that one, but would like to see some other options.

~Cynical~

Does anyone have any experience with the BeQuiet Silent Base 800?

I like the fact that it has high quality silent fans included, which would save me money vs buying Noctuas or something.

I don't really like the silver, so that leaves black or orange available on Newegg/Amazon, but I cannot seem to find the red version for sale!

I know HardwareCanucks did a review, but he focuses heavily on water-cooling, where I am staying air-cooling.

~Cynical~

The 390 will eat up too much budget, and I can sell the 960 if I swap it out, seeing as how it will still be less than 6 months old and never overclocked or tampered with.

I can get a Saphire 290 from Newegg, so that could be a thing.

The 290 is definitely a better choice than the 380 from your position

sudo chmod -R 000 /*