Microsoft delays Windows 10 Mobile update for old phones until 2016

Source - Mashable Ausstralia: http://mashable.com/2015/12/21/windows-10-mobile-delayed-2016/#FjLS0mjLHOqT

Opinion: I'm personally disappointed to find out that I'm gonna have to wait till next year to get the Windows 10 Mobile update for my Lumia, I was hoping to receive the update around Christmas (adding to the occasion). Since Project Astoria and Project Island-wood are delayed as well, it's gonna be a tougher sell to get Android and iOS developers to jump on board and develop for Windows 10.

Microsoft has decided to delay the free Windows 10 Mobile update for select Windows 8 and 8.1 phones until "early next year,"

OpinionI guess we can't be too upset because the Windows 10 Mobile team has significantly reduced in size due to the lay-offs earlier this year of the Windows Phone (Nokia) division. This then translate to the lateness of updates the team manages to push out. 

At such a crucial time when Microsoft needs to hold onto the few loyal customers it has, it really couldn't afford to make them wait even longer.

Final thoughts: I'm about to purchase a new phone in a couple of weeks (roughly early January 2016), and if Windows 10 Mobile doesn't come out in time (with support for my Lumia), I'm looking at making the switch to Android (probably to the Nexus 5X). I really like the Windows platform (despite the crap it gets about the Store). 

EDIT:

Microsoft hasn't detailed exactly which Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 smartphones will get Windows 10 Mobile as an update, which is worrisome, and not a good sign of things to come.

It is almost as if they want to kill off Windows mobile

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

It was announced month or two back that old phones will have update in February.

You can just join the Windows Insider program and get on the fast ring. It works like a charm on my 925 at least. 

Old news, it has been expected that the update wont happen until February, was announced 2 months ago.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER