[Unofficial PSA] Please, DON'T think that BCLK overclocking will replace multiplier overclocking.

Title.

BCLK overclocking is a big keyword with the current Skylake CPUs. Does this mean you should count on OCing one and bypassing Intel themselves? No. BCLK overclocking comes with the caveats of changing the iGPU clock and RAM clock. Which obviously can lead to instabilities.

In short, only expect to use locked chips with BCLK OCing as a toy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9848/bclk-overclocking-intels-non-k-skylake-processors-coming-soon

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Title.

BCLK overclocking is a big keyword with the current Skylake CPUs. Does this mean you should count on OCing one and bypassing Intel themselves? No. BCLK overclocking comes with the caveats of changing the iGPU clock and RAM clock. Which obviously can lead to instabilities.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9848/bclk-overclocking-intels-non-k-skylake-processors-coming-soon

lol who though BLCK OC'ing was > Multi >_>

the two haven't even been comparable since X58/775 days

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Title.

In all honesty you're supposed to overclock using both BCLK (or FSB on AMD) and the multiplier, if you're using only one method then... you're doing it wrong.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Back in the i5 760 / i7 ###k days you needed to use BLCK because Multiplier was never an option.. Until sandy bridge

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I've pushed my BCLK as far as 50 (150 BCLK) and have not had any issues with the iGPU (I do use a GTX 770 though, but no problems). It was not fun hitting 90C though in prime95, so i backed it off. Currently sitting at 4.75ghz (143.9 BCLK) and I am doing fine with both temps and stability. 

tUQwL1e.png

For the most part, I agree with your intentions here. People should not be buying locked i3's or i5's and expecting it to be okay to run 4.5ghz all day long. They have to remember that even these locked i3's and i5's have AVX2 and FMA3 support, and can easily fry under these loads without very aggressive cooling (Talking water or VERY high end air). At that point, you've just spent more money on your cooling solution than your CPU, which only brings up another issue involving your sanity.

I think 4ghz overclock's are A-OK for 24/7 use, as long as people keep voltage and temps in mind. Leave the heavy overclocking to the K series and better cooling solutions. You bought a budget CPU to save money, not spend the same amount of money after cooling solutions and Z boards.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Title.

"Back in my day" -That's all I have to say lol.

Title.

it has been stated before that if you oc locked skylake the igpu will be disabled. It does reduce the ram speed but you can oc the ram.

I did mine the default speed is 2133 and it got reduced to 1800 and I overclocked the ram to 2880mhz. I been using it so far and no instabilities. 

This bclk oc enable for budget build, whether the person do it or not, it their choice. As long you have a proper cooling then it wont be a problem.

For K series is for heavy overclock who seek to get the most out of the chip.

"back in my day" well i wasn't there back in the day :^(

You didn't really miss much, although modding was a lot more rampant, these days Kids prefer off the shelf stuff like H100i's then don't even mod cases to fit them, so most systems look the same...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

"back in my day" well i wasn't there back in the day :^(

You missed out on a lot, hardware store watercooling, UV everything, none of this "elegance" rubbish, hardware that you could push till it quit, and best of all everything had a locked multiplier, so you can to overclock the hardcore way :P