best pump for water cooling?

whats the best pump to use for a water cooling loop. and do i have to use a top for the pump to attach fittings to it

whats the best pump to use for a water cooling loop. and do i have to use a top for the pump to attach fittings to it

The best or gold standard in terms of pump would be the D5, for pump tops some come with them which have threaded ports all ready to go. Alternatively you can also get res/pump combo units like this:

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

D5

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Laing D5 is the one I'd recommend. There are various tops from the likes of Swiftech, EK, Bitspower and so on. If you want to use standard G1/4" fittings, then you'll need an aftermarket top, or one that comes with a top on it already. 

The D5 Vario is very highly recommended.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The most recommended pump out there is the Laing D5. The second most recommended one is the Laing DDC. The first one is a bit more quiet and expensive, the second one is a bit more compact.

Most water cooling companies sell these pumps with their brand name on them, so you could buy a D5 or DDC pump from EK, Alphacool, Swiftech, etc...

Depending on the model version it has the threaded holes for fittings to go on it, or not. Some tops/kits also provide their modified/own in/out ports.

Different versions also provide voltage control, PWM control, etc...

The best or gold standard in terms of pump would be the D5, for pump tops some come with them which have threaded ports all ready to go. Alternatively you can also get res/pump combo units like this:

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

is it possible to replace the res on this combo because i dont like the stubby look of it

d5 tube res combo or just a d5. no bay res combo's

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS