Fairphone 2 started shipping, first modular phone.

ZetZet

Why exactly should I trust some startup company to be more legitimate than my government that I voted for? As far as I know they could just be scamming people.

No it's actually a step backwards. We had phones of similar modularity about 5 years ago. You know what happened? They got phased out because you just couldn't design a device to be as high quality and performance by making it modular. There is a reason most phones have non-removable batteries, there is a reason display/glass/digitizer are glued together.

Trust a spying/corrupted/flawed/un-hearing government all you want, but you should give better options their chance.

AFAIK, they have successfully launched the Fairphone 1 and it's not their first attempt,

First of all, they are the first one to be labelled 10/10 by ifixit (don't quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure on this, i'm fact checking it right now), they have achieved a modern class of tech with full modularity (so no, glued batteries are stupid and will remain stupid for the rest of the small life span that a battery has) and in terms of performance, a 801 might not be the latest and shiniest but it's a very reliable processor, in perfect consistency with the screen size and battery size. Maybe for a higher price the spec-sheet could have been better, but I do not see why in a day to day use it would matter.

Glued stuff is bad, whatever the reason may be, linus's biggest gripe about modern smartphones is the stupid thinness and lack of battery of these phones... there is plenty of space for components in a smartphone, and the standardized connectors between the components of the fairphone 2 makes it a proof that it can be done. Gluing stuff is not one but many steps backwards because of the fact that when a component dies, the cost of repairing the phone makes it the same as if you would buy a new one.

This is a waste of labour, time, money for everyone ! the only people getting something out of this are shareholders that see sales artificially boosted.

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

Trust a spying/corrupted/flawed/un-hearing government all you want, but you should give better options their chance.

AFAIK, they have successfully launched the Fairphone 1 and it's not their first attempt,

First of all, they are the first one to be labelled 10/10 by ifixit (don't quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure on this, i'm fact checking it right now), they have achieved a modern class of tech with full modularity (so no, glued batteries are stupid and will remain stupid for the rest of the small life span that a battery has) and in terms of performance, a 801 might not be the latest and shiniest but it's a very reliable processor, in perfect consistency with the screen size and battery size. Maybe for a higher price the spec-sheet could have been better, but I do not see why in a day to day use it would matter.

Glued stuff is bad, whatever the reason may be, linus's biggest gripe about modern smartphones is the stupid thinness and lack of battery of these phones... there is plenty of space for components in a smartphone, and the standardized connectors between the components of the fairphone 2 makes it a proof that it can be done. Gluing stuff is not one but many steps backwards because of the fact that when a component dies, the cost of repairing the phone makes it the same as if you would buy a new one.

This is a waste of labour, time, money for everyone ! the only people getting something out of this are shareholders that see sales artificially boosted.

what do you mean successfully launched, this is the first time i have ever heard of this company.

so what if it got 10/10 on ifixit, i prefer my device to not break and if it breaks i have insurance anyway.

yeah that phone lacks battery BIG time, I agree and it does that while being fatter than every device on the market.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

ffs the ignorance in this thread is too high for me to just stay silent and watch.

First off all the title (probably only thing majority read before commenting) is misleading, the fairphone is a modular phone, not modular as in project ARA, but modular in the sense that: if anything ever breaks in your phone, you can easily replaced the damaged/malfunctioning component on your own, without the need of resorting to a repair shop or anything.

Second for those complaining about the price, well what did you expect?! This phone was built, conceptualized, produced with one idea in mind: to release a device built around social values; what are this social values they're talking about? well lets see:

1. Mining: to use conflict-free minerals from the RDC

2. Design: to build a phone that can be easily repaired in order to reduce e-wastes

3. Manufacturing: not Foxxcon (don't need to explain further)

4. life cycle: Make this phone last as long as possible by any mean till the end of their usable life and offer a recycle program to, agin, reduce e-wastes

5. transparency: be as transparent as possible on the phone's production to show that (unlike others) they stay true to their claims. And this is how trasparant they want to be:

LR7dLU2.png

96wu9KE.png

rHspsLy.png

and there's more if you guys just take the damn time to read (and not stopping at the title).

So basically this device is the SJW phone, or the phone SJW should be using but they can't cause it's not an iPhone.

And by the way, for all those complaining that's it's an android device, not only you can buy it with android but also use sailfish if you're so against the idea of using android, and you won't lose you're warranty if you ever decide to mess with the software (yes, even after rooting). And for those wondering where the Fairphone 1: there was a fairphone 1, it was released in 2013 after a successful crowdfunding campaign, it's still being supported (for those asking if they're committed, yes, yes they are), and they're considering offering alternate OSs just like they're doing for the 2.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

what do you mean successfully launched, this is the first time i have ever heard of this company.

Even if you didn't hear about a company, their product can still be selling well.

so what if it got 10/10 on ifixit, i prefer my device to not break and if it breaks i have insurance anyway.

"Ima little kid that doesn't care if things break and the consequences of my acts" is basically what you're saying... pffff sad. 10/10 on Ifixit means it's a well conceived device that makes the cost lower for everything you do with it.be it insurance or repairs.

yeah that phone lacks battery BIG time, I agree and it does that while being fatter than every device on the market.

I actually agree with you on that one, too bad they went for this option but there might have been something causing this choice, i would like to hear from

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

iPhone has design, this is a brick. 

iPhone has an OS, this uses a completely unknown version of Android and there is no guarantees that it will get updated. The fact that it's planning to be modular ruins it's chances for software support even further.

The fact that factories in China don't pay people enough is certainly sad and it would be nice if they did, but again, it shouldn't be my concern. Generally when people don't get paid enough the best solution is to not work for the amount they give you. If people choose to work for that amount it's probably enough to survive and conditions even in small no brand factories that I have seen are pretty damn good already. 

It's a modular phone. You can't expect it to be as thin or "well designed" (although frankly it's just a screen with a camera on the back, you really need to put in some effort to screw it up - and this looks just fine in my book). The iphone 4 was a brick, I don't recall people complaining - besides I don't think it's a big deal at all unless it's too heavy to hold comfortably with one hand.

Whose concern should it be? Do you think those workers have a choice on where to work? Here, if you don't like a job you leave. There, if you leave your job (assuming you found one) you pretty much die. If you think they're "pretty damn good" take a look at foxconn factories, where they have constant suicides for the horrible working conditions.

I hate to go there, but "it's not my concern" is part of the reason nazis had a field day carrying out their genocide in ww2. Of course this isn't as bad, but still, it's not the right way of thinking.

There may be less frequent suicides, ZetZet, but that is attributed directly to the installation of suicide prevention nets. Those Foxconn workers will likely commit suicide in new locations.

ee684ce40aeb0dd112d36da9fe0c4163.jpg

foxconn-nets1.jpg

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

-snip-

Glueing things inplace is ok, to me, when it's an actual design element such as in waterproof smartphones and devices :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

It's the only phone with a 10/10 repair score on iFixit. That's why you're paying that price.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Glueing things inplace is ok, to me, when it's an actual design element such as in waterproof smartphones and devices :)

asus zenfone 2, iphones, moto G, and many more... not waterproof yet glued... I don't get why you would not buy a rugged smartphone if you need waterproof / shock resistance...

asus zenfone 2, iphones, moto G, and many more... not waterproof yet glued... I don't get why you would not buy a rugged smartphone if you need waterproof / shock resistance...

Taking photos in the rain...or in the pukefalls on binge night outs ;)

I got my Z3 for the water resistance so I could take photos outside and use my phone when it rains :P

Taking photos in the rain...or in the pukefalls on binge night outs ;)

I got my Z3 for the water resistance so I could take photos outside and use my phone when it rains :P

rain resistance is achived by my old samsung xcover without ANY glue... so yeah but... no 

Except that's not how it was and you know it. I don't understand your comparison and it's not an argument. You are one of the last people on this forum I would expect this type of comment from. 

I consider the "it's none of my business" way of thinking to be wrong, is all. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*