Am I a Mad Man or Could This Work?

Khajiit Dealer

Long story short, I want to power my second 980 Ti separately with a 450W PSU alongside the current 750W one I have now.

For SLI, could I do this without any problems?

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Long story short, I want to power my second 980 Ti separately with a 450W PSU alongside the current 750W one I have now.

Will it work? yes

Should you just go and get a new power supply instead? yes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Would it work? Yes.

Frankenstein of PC's? Yes

Could Linus use this for a video? Yes

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

You can actually run two 980ti's on 750w if it's good. Unless you have extreme cpu too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You can actually run two 980ti's on 750w if it's good. Unless you have extreme cpu too.

My 750W is a CX so that's a no.

Will it work? yes

Should you just go and get a new power supply instead? yes

I'm too lazy to redo all my wiring

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

then just get another psu. Two psu's is never a good solution.

And you won't be lazy jump starting that psu every time you want to power on your pc?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

but not too lazy to cram 2 power supplies into your PC and make it look all shit

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just get one powerful PSU with SLI support. Here's one:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-GS-0850-V1

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

but not too lazy to cram 2 power supplies into your PC and make it look all shit

My computer already looks like shit, I value performance over looks.

Just get one powerful PSU with SLI support. Here's one:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-GS-0850-V1

I'm worried about fucking up everything when I take out the PSU and replace all the cables. 

I'm worried about fucking up everything when I take out the PSU and replace all the cables. 

Just make sure to plug everything in the right place. Most of the connectors only fit into one place. Also you can look on youtube for tutorials on how to replace a PSU.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

Depend on the power supply. If the 450w is a XFX TS Bronze 450w, for example, I wouldn't advise it as it wasn't design to handle such a load (high 12v load from the PEG cables, with no loads on the 3.3v/5v). If it is something like the Cooler Master GM, Fractal Design Edison M / Integra M, XFX TS Gold, the upcoming Corsair CX450 (or "Vengeance" for Germany), etc., they would handle those loads better. Once you get that, you would need to either make an adapter or buy one that have that PSU turned with the other. Like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1116146&gclid=COPT3O3F7ckCFYJEaQod8yQNUw&Q=&ap=y&is=REG&A=details

Laughed more than I should have at this.

It's not hard to. Just unplug the old PSU and put the new one in. The cables only go in one way.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Depend on the power supply. If the 450w is a XFX TS Bronze 450w, for example, I wouldn't advise it as it wasn't design to handle such a load (high 12v load from the PEG cables, with no loads on the 3.3v/5v). If it is something like the Cooler Master GM, Fractal Design Edison M / Integra M, XFX TS Gold, the upcoming Corsair CX450 (or "Vengeance" for Germany), etc., they would handle those loads better. Once you get that, you would need to either make an adapter or buy one that have that PSU turned with the other. Like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1116146&gclid=COPT3O3F7ckCFYJEaQod8yQNUw&Q=&ap=y&is=REG&A=details

Upcoming CX450? Do you have any sources?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Upcoming CX450? Do you have any sources?

I'd mentioned about it a few months ago that Corsair was planning on updating their CX line to have DC-DC. Well, here's a source from a 3rd party that had talked to Corsair about it sometime at the end of Oct. He got some factory documents on it as well. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12723