Leaving my PC on all the time?

Hey guys,

I have a question about leaving my PC on for long periods of time.

READ: This thread is not for debating whether I should leave my PC on all the time or not. This is simply to figure out what harm, if any, can come from leaving a PC on for days on end.

So I've been downloading Star Citizen for almost 3 days in a row now with only 1 restart in those 3 days. Backstory: My download speed is 170 KB/s :P

If I keep this going on for the rest of the week let's say, will it cause any damage or more wear to my system? I have heard that fans will lose durability if they are left spinning for a long time (weeks to months).

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

No, your PC will be fine (if you have ok temperatures) Overheating is the only real problem, but if your system is properly cooled you're fine :)

But, a restart every week or so is a good idea ;)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I leave my pc on all the time. Just sometimes restart to update.

At 4 am I have updates scheduled, so sometimes it updates when I'm sleeping.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It certainly will harm your hardware at some point, but not noticeable. You are good, as long as you have good temeratures in your system.

But pls shut off your pc, do it for the environment :c

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

Electronically your PC should be fine, providing you have a quality PSU. Mechanically, the likelihood of moving parts (your fans) sustaining any permanent damage really depends on their bearings. I wouldn't loose sleep over it though.

Edit: The only time my PC is off is when it's being upgraded or an update requires it.

It certainly will harm your hardware at some point, but not noticeable. As long as you have good temeratures in your system.

But pls shut off your pc, do it for the environment :c

Because 1 guy leaving his computer on for a few days will kill all the animals

/s

Because 1 guy leaving his computer on for a few days will kill all the animals

/s

Yea...ofc it won´t do much when a single person turns off the PC over night. But if a lot of people did that, it would have a big impact. Just looking at things with a different perspective.

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

As others have said the only time to worry is if your PC is under 90%+ load all the time and/or has really high temps all the time.

I was once able to manage about a month of up time, would have been longer but there was a power outage of all things.

-アパゾ

But if a lot of people did that, it would have a big impact. Just looking at things with a different perspective.

But a lot of people already do, so it doesn't make a difference

But a lot of people already do, so it doesn't make a difference

I´m not going to start a discussion, but consider this:

What positive points does it have, when you are running your PC 24/7?

You can access your PC whenever you want (let´s say via Teamviewer etc.)

You are physically able to go to your PC and make stuff whenever you like.

Also, you don´t have to wait for the PC to boot up.

But:

How long does your PC take to boot up? I guess the majority has a SSD as bootdrive nowadays, so it´s ~30 sec. (Mine takes 16 secs)

When you need your machine spontaneously, the time you have to wait is still acceptable.

And do you really need to access your PC whenever you like? You could try alternatives like WOL, so your PC doesn´t have to run all the time.

I´m trying to look at that as neutral as possible. Everyone has to decide on their own. Whatever. I´m just thinking it´s unnecessary.

~Quibiss

Hey guys,

I have a question about leaving my PC on for long periods of time.

READ: This thread is not for debating whether I should leave my PC on all the time or not. This is simply to figure out what harm, if any, can come from leaving a PC on for days on end.

So I've been downloading Star Citizen for almost 3 days in a row now with only 1 restart in those 3 days. Backstory: My download speed is 170 KB/s :P

If I keep this going on for the rest of the week let's say, will it cause any damage or more wear to my system? I have heard that fans will lose durability if they are left spinning for a long time (weeks to months).

The components are designed to be left on for long periods of time as they are desktop grade. You should not be concerned unless you are seeing unusually high temps.

Occasional restarts are a good thing to allow updates to finish integrating and to allow the system to refresh itself.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My current uptime is 1:16:29:xx after a pesky windows update I forgot about. Came out of a 4-ish week uptime. Ain't nothin' wrong with keeping your PC on. Except the power bill

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220