PC starts 1 time out of 10, help needed

INSTIGATOR

So it's been a month since I started having this weird problems with my PC.

1. Press the Power On button

2. PSU "clicks" ON like it normally does when powered on

3. PSU "clicks" OFF right away without giving any input to the system (no POST), PC won't start and the Power On button won't respond until the PSU is unplugged from mains

4. Rinse and repeat.

Mobo light is always on as usual. I already reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows, tried unplugging all the fans, HDDs and graphics card, connected the chassis to a reliable ground. Same thing. Takes me plugging and unplugging the PSU (Corsair HX1000i) several times to get the PC started. Sometimes it will start right away, like when it's left unplugged for several minutes.

As soon as the computer is on, it functions properly as one would expect. When put in stand-by (sleep) weird things start to happen again. As I try to wake it up, the PSU "clicks" as it should when powering on and PC is turned off instead of waking up. Problems starting it up again.

Any suggestions?

3. PSU "clicks" OFF right away without giving any input to the system (no POST), PC won't start and the Power On button won't respond until the PSU is unplugged from mains

4. Rinse and repeat.

Mobo light is always on as usual. I already reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows, tried unplugging all the fans, HDDs and graphics card, connected the chassis to a reliable ground. Same thing. Takes me plugging and unplugging the PSU (Corsair HX1000i) several times to get the PC started. Sometimes it will start right away, like when it's left unplugged for several minutes.

As soon as the computer is on, it functions properly as one would expect. When put in stand-by (sleep) weird things start to happen again. As I try to wake it up, the PSU "clicks" as it should when powering on and PC is turned off instead of waking up. Problems starting it up again.

Any suggestions?

I think you should (please select a choice from below):

- Get a new PSU

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

What PSU do you have? And whatever it is, get a new one.

Corsair HX1000i

If possible check system with different PSU.

Do you have any graphics cards installed in the system?

How old is the Corsair HX1000i?

What is the environment of the system? (Poor ventilation, smoke, humidity etc.)

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

If possible check system with different PSU.

Do you have any graphics cards installed in the system?

How old is the Corsair HX1000i?

What is the environment of the system? (Poor ventilation, smoke, humidity etc.)

PNY GTX980

HX1000i bought and installed February 2015 (brand new).

Next to ideal conditions, no smoke.

4. Rinse and repeat.

I know exactly what it is, I had this issue more than a couple years ago. I had to press power button several times to make PC start, sometimes it took minutes, much like a car that does not want to start. That one time it failed to start again, and when it finally caught on, I was greeted by BIOS alert sounds, meaning my graphics card died. In short: its your PSU. It is dying. If you will not replace it rightaway, you will probably lose much more than just PSU.

PNY GTX980

HX1000i bought and installed February 2015 (brand new).

Next to ideal conditions, no smoke.

That can be a fairly power hungry card. Does the mobo have an onboard Graphics port? (HDMI, DVI, VGA)

If so remove the graphics card an see if that takes care of your problem.

if the problem persists try another PSU because that is more than likely your issue.

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

That can be a fairly power hungry card. Does the mobo have an onboard Graphics port? (HDMI, DVI, VGA)

If so remove the graphics card an see if that takes care of your problem.

if the problem persists try another PSU because that is more than likely your issue.

No, the GPU is ok, consumes half of what my previous card used to guzzle.

The PSU must be the problem, can't start the system at all, it was getting worse time after time and now it's kaput.

• 1 month later...

Turns out it was the PSU. Just installed a brand new RM1000i and it works!

Thx to everyone.