Old game issue: Black & White 2 (2005) on w7 - missing textures etc

I went to go play "Black & White 2" on my PC (w7, i5 4670K + r9 280) on Friday, I had installed it along with a bunch of other CD/DVD games last year after building the system, but the game would not load this time. Managed to get it to run via a "noCD" exe.

The game loaded but first sign of issue, the saves from last year were gone (previously had made it to 3rd or 4th land). As I created a new save, I noticed some flickering in the menu (didn't see that last year) and then started the game.

First land appears after intro video, but immediately as it zoomed in, big chunks of land texture were popping in and out of invisibility, and when at creature selection area, you could see the sea through a invisible texture covered in grass...

I tried reinstalling, trying to run version 1.0 only, installed to alternate drive (HDD & SSD) but all had the same issue. I'm guessing it's either an issue with the AMD Crimson drivers or possibly my graphics card (haven't had any issues in other games, yet at least...). 

But I can rule out the a windows update or the replacement exe, as I went to the trouble of doing clean install of w7 to an alternate drive and installing the game there. This time I didn't have to replace exe, but when the game loaded it had the exact same issues again.

Has anyone played "Black & White 2" recently in Windows 7-10, and had any similar issues? Does anyone have it currently installed to quickly check?

I took a couple of quick sample clips via fraps for upload to throwaway Youtube account, here and here. As you can see, it basically makes it unplayable.

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100   Optical: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray writer

It might be a problem with the OS since the game came out before even Vista. Do you have any experience with virtual machines?

It might be a problem with the OS since the game came out before even Vista. Do you have any experience with virtual machines?

Forgot to say, before installing w7 to an alternate HDD I installed w7 via VMware player, couldn't even get the game to load there unfortunately.

But when I installed w7 fresh on alt HDD, updated to latest AMD drivers and installed the game, exact same issues.

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

Forgot to say, before installing w7 to an alternate HDD I installed w7 via VMware player, couldn't even get the game to load there unfortunately.

But when I installed w7 fresh on alt HDD, updated to latest AMD drivers and installed the game, exact same issues.

So you do have experience with VMs. In that case, could you install Windows XP and try the game there? Apparently that's the OS the game is optimized for.

If it appeared on Steam, Origin or GOG I'd likely buy it again in a heartbeat.

But EA don't even do support for it, let alone re-releasing it.

So you do have experience with VMs. In that case, could you install Windows XP and try the game there? Apparently that's the OS the game is optimized for.

I could certainly give it a try, I feel like I've tried everything else at this point. Although, when I did the w7 install in VMware I don't think it could see the graphics card listed (although its possible I just missed it on the interface)

I could certainly give it a try, I feel like I've tried everything else at this point. Although, when I did the w7 install in VMware I don't think it could see the graphics card listed (although its possible I just missed it on the interface)

VirtualBox automatically connects the graphics drivers if you install the Guest Additions, but I'm not sure about VMWare.

Installing XP to VMware now, will be a while if memory serves.

By the way, my old PC the current one replaced is on w7 too, and the game still runs there. I had a look at its drivers, old ATI/AMD card running CatalystCC from 2010. Starting to think its the card, only 18 months old, my luck...

Installed XP in VMware, then installed and updated the game. Thankfully the game seems to work there, made it to the 3rd world (still tutorial worlds) didn't have the texture issues.

But I did notice in the games settings file, instead of; 

Adapter = "AMD Radeon R9 200 Series"

in VMware it reads;

Adapter = "VMware SVGA II"

So I'm not sure if VMware is accessing the graphics card, or just running off the CPUs integrated graphics. At the very least I'll be able to play the game for now via VMware, so thanks GalacticRuler.

I would still be interested though to see if anyone has the game installed, if they have the same issues, or if its just my graphics card on its way out.

EDIT: Eh, I might have spoke too soon, just had XP bluescreen in VMware. That's a first for me. RAM issue maybe?

make sure you're running patch 1.2  it fixes a lot of crash bugs.

try running compatibility mode. for windows xp, 256bit color, and run as admin.

also consider getting the battle of the gods expansion. its actually compatible with win7.

EDIT: if i can find my disks, ill try to install it on win10 to see if i can make it work

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

make sure you're running patch 1.2  it fixes a lot of crash bugs.

try running compatibility mode. for windows xp, 256bit color, and run as admin.

also consider getting the battle of the gods expansion. its actually compatible with win7.

EDIT: if i can find my disks, ill try to install it on win10 to see if i can make it work

Thanks I'd appreciate it.

After the XP bluescreen from within the VMware install, I tested my RAM individually. Same result in all three configs, so I can rule that out at least. I went ahead and tested it, as unlikely as it was I've had bad luck with RAM in the past. The laptop I had during college/university, it had a faulty stick which caused it to bluescreen constantly until replaced.

________

By the way, if this thread is better suited for the Troubleshooting section of the forum, apologies for posting it here.

I had exactly the same problem. I'm running windows 10. I just ran white.exe in windows XP compatibility mode. Solved instantly.

I had exactly the same problem. I'm running windows 10. I just ran white.exe in windows XP compatibility mode. Solved instantly.

Glad XP compatibility mode worked for you, made no difference for me unfortunately.