Will i7's be better for gaming eventually?

Davidf4e

i bought a 4790k in hope of that, i also would like to get into some photo/rendering work. Other then that will i7's be practical for gaming in the near future?

i bought a 4790k in hope of that, i also would like to get into some photo/rendering work. Other then that will i7's be practical for gaming in the near future?

yeah, when games start using more than 4 cores.

some games utilize hyper threading now so...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

yeah, when games start using more than 4 cores.

some games utilize hyper threading now so...

Is there a list for the games? 

So far, hyper-threading makes 0 difference 99% of games and at times hinders performance via stuttering.

But it looks like games are only now actually starting to utilize more threads.

So, it's a safe bet to say that in the future more games will utilize those extra threads.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Uhh. It already makes a difference in almost every AAA title released this year and last...

Is it worth it? Probably not... But it has been better for ages. Marginally so.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

For the time being, hyperthreading Is not very useful (In games). We cant tell you If games will benefit greatly from them In the future, but going to processors with more cores will probably be a safer bet.

they are better already.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

+1

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Not really, by the times games start using 8 threads intel will start making the lowest end i7s have 12 threads hopefully, they'll keep ahead of the curve... and note I'm talking about large numbers of titles that are graphics intensive, not the odd out cpu intensive games

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

+1

well, here are the games tested in 2014...most of them do benefit from hyper-threading and as you can see the old i7-2600 manage to perform on par with a newer haswell core i5 in the end the final graph is all the games compiled into one:

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

EDIT: this is the final graph with all the games compiled into one:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

As you can see...anyone saying games do not benefit from hyper-threading and that an i5 is just as good when it comes to modern games is wrong...and remember those are games from 2014...i can't wait to see 2015 because there has been a lot of improvement on that front with the latest games pretty much scaling evenly across all 8 threads from my experience.

...also, these are minimum and average recorded FPS...when you dive deeper into frame-pacing and frame-time variances (basically, smoothness of animation and absence of micro-stutters) the i7 get an even more marked lead.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

They're arguably better now. For the most part a 1231V3 was a better purchase than a 4690K last gen.

But generally the difference isn't worth the price gap between the 6600K and the 6700K.

They're arguably better now. For the most part a 1231V3 was a better purchase than a 4690K last gen.

But generally the difference isn't worth the price gap between the 6600K and the 6700K.

i have to agree, unless you plan on keeping the CPU for a good 3 to 5 years in which case the price difference if you consider how long you'll use the CPU and the ''slight'' but ''increasing'' performance difference and the overall slightly better experience you'll get over the course of those years is IMHO justified for the price.

here is the final graph for the arcticle i posted earlier here they consider price per FPS and as you can see, the i7 even though they are top performer in all the games they've tested have the worst bang for the buck...they are for enthusiast gamers that are not on a budget:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

I bought a 4690k because I was told all you need is 4 threads to game and hyperthreading was a waste. 4 Months later and I had to replace my 4690k with a 4790k, and damn was it worth it. Anyone who tells you that there's no advantage to hyperthreading is lying or ignorant.

If anyone asks you never saw me.