Push air through a rad or pull air through a rad?

Go to solution Solved by UL_42L,

Pulling air would make it easier to clean the radiator because dust will be on the side without fans on it.

I am going to be installing the cooler master 120v v.2 AIO liquid cooler in my NZXT s340 case and i was wondering about the fan position on the radiator. The radiator will be positioned in the front portion of the case where the fan will be sucking in cold air from the outside.

My question is, should the fan be pushing cold air into the radiator (fan in front of rad) or should the fan be pulling cold air through the radiator (fan behind rad)? 

If you look at a front mount radiator in a car, the fan is pulling cold air through the radiator (the fan is behind the rad), this is probably because the vehicle is intended to be  moving, so it makes sense to put the fan behind the radiator ( which actually often doesn't even spin when the vehicle is moving). Not even sure if the fan position is so important in a PC, but it's still an interesting topic in my opinion. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

No change in performance

Alright. Performance as in temperature, but what about sound? Could one of the positions be louder?

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

Pulling air would make it easier to clean the radiator because dust will be on the side without fans on it.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Oh interesting, i never even thought about maintenance. Thank you!

Linus actually did a video on in xD

This is quite literally the only significant different between Push and Pull.

Everything else is purely for what looks best to you.

---