The "M50X's" of Speakers?

monjanger

With Christmas approaching, I plan to pick up a set of speakers. I don't want to be putting some hefty money down, but rather a pair of speakers that sound decent (I listen to EDM, Dubstep, and Trap) for the price. I'm looking for an easy pair of speakers to set up, below the price of $200 total. In other terms, the Audio Technica M50x's of speakers. 

Thanks,

monjanger

This doesn't make sense since the M50X are nothing special and generally over-hyped.

I'd say the JBL LSR305. No, they're not *quite* in your budget. Yes, they're the best you can get south of $500.

This doesn't make sense since the M50X are nothing special and generally over-hyped.

I'd say the JBL LSR305. No, they're not *quite* in your budget. Yes, they're the best you can get south of $500.

I love my pair. Besides, they are some of the best headphones for the price to the average consumer.  

Besides, they are some of the best headphones for the price to the average consumer.  

I've a common misconception, yes.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

I love my pair. Besides, they are some of the best headphones for the price to the average consumer.  

No. Most people who have used other headphones at around the M50X's price (in other words, people who know what they're talking about) think that the M50X is below average for their price. Correspondingly, most people who recommend the headphones with good reviews haven't heard other headphones at the M50X's price range - this massive number of uninformed people are responsible for keeping the chain reaction of the M50X's popularity going.

No. Most people who have used other headphones at around the M50X's price (in other words, people who know what they're talking about) think that the M50X is below average for their price. Correspondingly, most people who recommend the headphones with good reviews haven't heard other headphones at the M50X's price range - this massive number of uninformed people are responsible for keeping the chain reaction of the M50X's popularity going.

I'm an average consumer :( Not to familiar with many pairs of headphones. 

Would I need a dac? Also, any other recommendations? 

Those require an amp.

ok try Micca PB42X those have a built in amp, although you can get tripath TA2020 amps for cheap.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

ok try Micca PB42X those have a built in amp, although you can get tripath TA2020 amps for cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll look into it!

I concur with SSL that the JBL LSR305 is well worth the money. It's received a lot of hype in the audio world for its amazing bass extension compared to other 5" monitors near its price, its large sweetspot, and its fairly natural sound signature. 

A DAC is recommended for any decent speakers and headphones, but a TRS 1/8" to dual TS 1/4" cable would get the job done.

I concur with SSL that the JBL LSR305 is well worth the money. It's received a lot of hype in the audio world for its amazing bass extension compared to other 5" monitors near its price, its large sweetspot, and its fairly natural sound signature. 

A DAC is recommended for any decent speakers and headphones, but a TRS 1/8" to dual TS 1/4" cable would get the job done.

I'd be using my Focursrite 2i2 as my audio interface. Would a high quality TSR cable be needed? 

So you're basically asking for overpriced generic speakers? Alright.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I'd be using my Focursrite 2i2 as my audio interface. Would a high quality TSR cable be needed? 

Just get a couple monoprice TRS cables.

Would I need a dac? Also, any other recommendations? 

The 2i2 can serve as your DAC, but I wouldn't have recommended one anyway, unless you have problems getting a low enough noise floor.

I'm an average consumer :( Not to familiar with many pairs of headphones. 

An average consumer shouldn't excuse him/herself from actually getting to know whats the best bang for the buck. The M50X has an absurdly less bang for its buck when even compared to the M40X.

Save yourself the desk clutter and get the PB42X. Practically the same price as the MB42X + Lepai amp anyways.