DAMN! check out my voltage reading for my PSU!

LokiFire

Over 13v on the 12v rail and 6v on 5v?

78EHMEo.png

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

You're using software to read it which may or may not be accurate. You're better off using a multi-meter, but I highly doubt the voltage is that high. If it is, get a new power supply.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The strider isnt the best for voltage regulation but I dont think its that bad..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Will this affect my hardware?

Will this affect my hardware?

The supposed voltage shown there is way out of ATX specification. There's a 5% tolerance range.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I have a really high end PSU...

http://silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=en&model=ST1000-G&tno=2

SPECIAL FEATURES

• 80 PLUS Gold certification with high efficiency 87%~90% at 20%~100% loading
  • 100% modular cables
  • 1000W (1100W peak power) 24hour fully continuous power output with 40℃ operating temperature
  • Class-leading single +12V rail with 83A
  • Strict ±3% voltage regulation and low ripple & noise
  • Japanese main capacitors
  • Silent running 135mm fan with 19dBA minimum
  • Dual EPS 8pin connectors support
  • Multiple PCI-E 8pin and PCI-E 6pin connectors support
  • Supports ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V
  • Active PFC

[removed]

Like I said, you're using software to read it. You should be using a multi-meter.

Ok i will just treat it as a reading error, i will see if i can get any info up in my bios.

Only has reading for 3.3v whice it's just 3.28v which is in specification, maybe it's just as you said a reading error, sadly my board has no reading for 12v etc.

any yellow PSU wire is a +12v output source.

any red PSU wire is +5v

and the orange PSU is +3.3v 

da87333a_ATX24-1.jpeg

any yellow PSU wire is a +12v output source.

any red PSU wire is +5v

and the orange PSU is +3.3v 

da87333a_ATX24-1.jpeg

I don't think the image is working.

it is working for me..:

attachicon.gifgg23.png

Privacy Badger was interfering with viewing the photo.

Even the BIOS readings (while still not too accurate) are better than HWmonitor. The only possible way it would be that far out is if it has blown capacitors. Even a multi-meter is not perfect, as it only takes the average voltage over a short period of time, so if the voltage takes a large spike it may miss that. Only an oscilloscope is a true reading. But a multi-meter will give you a general idea that is still far more accurate than software.

As you said, BIOS reading for the 3.3V rail is 3.28 so obviously it's just the software and you have nothing to worry about. I don't even think your PC would be running with 13.6V on the 12V rail.

Even the BIOS readings (while still not too accurate) are better than HWmonitor. The only possible way it would be that far out is if it has blown capacitors. Even a multi-meter is not perfect, as it only takes the average voltage over a short period of time, so if the voltage takes a large spike it may miss that. Only an oscilloscope is a true reading. But a multi-meter will give you a general idea that is still far more accurate than software.

As you said, BIOS reading for the 3.3V rail is 3.28 so obviously it's just the software and you have nothing to worry about. I don't even think your PC would be running with 13.6V on the 12V rail.

It's shit like this that keeps console people away

"Welcome to PC gaming, where troubleshooting involves software, a multimeter and an OSCILLOSCOPE "

"Welcome to PC gaming, where troubleshooting involves software, a multimeter and an OSCILLOSCOPE "

There's nothing to troubleshoot though, it's just a bad software reading. This stuff happens all the time, and he should just ignore it and enjoy his build. His computer would not even be running were those readings true.

I'm not understanding the issue. If you need to use it, you need to use it. Software interpretation is inaccurate with voltage readings. There's no way around it except for better software.

You don't need to do anything. 99.9% of people don't take digital multimeters to their PCs, especially just because HWmonitor doesn't know how to do crap. And an oscilloscope costs hundreds, multimeters cost money. Just don't worry about it. No one is required to monitor their voltages, I would assume before one buys a power supply he/she understands what voltage regulation is like, so there is no need to verify it as an end user.