Is there a 50mbps+ capable modem worth buying cheaply?

Ren

I'm upgrading my internet due to some serious billing issues, and I'll contact them thoroughly about reimbursement tomorrow (this is relevant to the discussion).

Now, what options do I have for MODEMS capable of handling 50mbps..? Just an extra bit of info, I cannot afford a higher-end 50mbps+ modem replacement that may cost $80-$200+ unless they backcharge my billing method or possibly give me a service credit.

My current, according to customer support, isn't new enough to handle that technology. To be fair, there are many reasons why I wasn't notified of the speed increase for the same default price in emails, pamphlets or on my bill (I will bring this up, promise me). However, they are stating that it will cost at least $5/mo on top of the referenced package to replace my current modem lease the new one.

My current modem lease, with the sketchy bill I've been paying for 3 years+, is $10 on the bill. Sounds like a good deal if you're not aware of long-term costs. I am. What options do I have for 50mbps+ for cheap, seeing as it's unlikely they'll comply with the billing refund, even if I threatened to switch services? As far as I'm aware, I can't afford it. Even the worse ones may be out of reach, but I want consistency with my connection for multiple reasons...

Despite the overall cost increase with leasing, it is my only option. I'm hoping network gurus and enthusiasts can offer some reliable options. I know that a lot of brands are unreliable or give inconsistent connection levels, but if money is saved I can really help my financial situation.

Final slightly related note:

Q: If I'm having money issues, why is it I plan on spending more?

A: I am literally relying on this for a level of income. I was making by with the charges given prior, but had connection limitations. Sometimes it dropped down slightly and other times it was sketchy. Nonetheless, getting your money's worth is important.

I'm relying on some really educated info and references on what I can use, if possible. I expect nothing but don't know where to ask. If the time comes, the Syndicate may be the only other option I have aside from making guesses, but I trust this forum. To say the least, I haven't got the expertise for this level of importance, so I'm going at least people as good or better than myself will be able to provide sources.

Seriously. Thank you. It makes a huge impact responding to this.

Seriously. Thank you. It makes a huge impact responding to this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-surfboard-docsis-3-0-high-speed-cable-modem-silver/7534146.p?id=1218849840013&skuId=7534146

I set someone up with this one, although the black version. They have a 100mbps connection and it works fine.

Oh, I should note: If you get this one make sure its in a well ventilated area(ie not in a closet with crap sitting on top of it), this thing gets very warm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-surfboard-docsis-3-0-high-speed-cable-modem-silver/7534146.p?id=1218849840013&skuId=7534146

I set someone up with this one, although the black version. They have a 100mbps connection and it works fine.

Oh, I should note: If you get this one make sure its in a well ventilated area(ie not in a closet with crap sitting on top of it), this thing gets very warm.

The sb6141 was going to be my recommendation as well. It is what I use.

Again, not an expert, but does 100/10/1mbps LAN (outside of the ethernet cable) make a difference? Talking LAN port, here.

They have prorated my internet bill and activated my 50mbps early, but most definitely am not getting that. I have roughly 21.5-26Mnps,or 2.8 MiBps a.k.a. MBs/s as of this moment, depending on your preference for standard speed. It's been investigated and it should be sorted out regardless once I get the new modem. This is only relevant because I'm afraid of it not being good enough for 50mbps, and I have a feeling they'll try to contract me through verbal contact. Again, I'll be figuring this out when customer support is opsn again. I'm taking no chances because my original contract sucked so bad, and incerased over $25/m - And that was with turbo upload which makes no difference. It's not better now but my customer support was terrible and convoluted / rushed and confusing. That's coming from a non-networking techie..

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll definitely take it into consideration if there's some kind of backpayment or credit worked out btu it's too much. If it's of any help, I'm looking for something less than $50, and preferably cheap as hell without being garbage. That leaves very few, if any options, I know. But my limitation is something that disconnects often or can't handle 45mbps.

There may be more, lots more money coming in through effort and some luck, so please, keep suggesting things around that and above the $80-$200+ mark. I'm eager to get the best but I don't know if this 100/10/1mbps LAN port will cause issues. Looking for clarity. Absolutely helpful post.

One extra thing:

There are some brands that I know are notorious for poor quality. I've used them for routers and have experience with them. Even if it's a modem and not a router, do not bother posting them because of the price. It's not worth it. You're giving bad advice.

The sb6141 was going to be my recommendation as well. It is what I use.

Just updated my thread. Is this actually worth close to $80 if you're potentially struggling, or just something you scrounge random bottles for if you're that desperate? I am serious in a bad way right now and am willing to just drop my internet plan. I do not have good prospects for jobs here. It's really riding on my internet being stable at this point. I know why, I don't blame many people aside from myself aside from my city's poorer state, but I cannot move and have no options. This is my last effort before my life changes.

Sorry to go on and on. It's simply that important.

Juat updated my thread. Is this actually worth close to $80 if you're potentially struggling, or just something you scrounge random bottles for if you're that desperate? I am serious in a bad way right now and am willing to just drop my internet plan. I do not have good prospects for jobs here. It's really riding on my internet being stable at this point.

You may be able to find the sb6121 for a bit cheaper, but the 6141 really is a better deal.

You may be able to find the sb6121 for a bit cheaper, but the 6141 really is a better deal.

Can the 6121 provide solid connection while maintaining the 50mbps? Consider me a layman. I'm asking a lot from you all but I have less than 9 hours to make a decision and have *no* time with my schedule to manage research right now. I'm not doing nothing all day, and appreciate your advice.

Found the Sb6141 for ~$60 w/amazon prime! Much better than the 6121, at least. That's almost doable.. Wow, thanks for the extra post!

My current modem is under my desk, off a shelf, not wall-mounted, rug and supported well, and most definitely well-ventilated. The only concern I have is its age; this thing is from 2008 or earlier according to contract. Nevertheless, I'll take care of it well at that price. Is that fine though? I don't have a massive desk but maybe I can make room.

Can the 6121 provide solid connection while maintaining the 50mbps? Consider me a layman. I'm asking a lot from you all but I have less than 9 hours to make a decision and have *no* time with my schedule to manage research right now. I'm not doing nothing all day, and appreciate your advice.

It can.

Found the Sb6141 for ~$60 w/amazon prime! Much better than the 6121, at least. That's almost doable.. Wow, thanks for the extra post!

Amazon is rarely the best place for tech deals. But if you like the price, go for it!