George Hotz managed to build a Self-Driving car within the confines of his own garage

NovusBal

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/iphone-hacker-george-hotz-built-a-self-driving-car-in-his-garage/

The man responsible for the first iPhone hack is taking on the big boys from Google and Tesla with his own self-driving car… that he built in his home garage. 26-year-old George Hotz outfitted a white 2016 Acura ILX with a lidar (laser-based radar) system and a rearview-mounted camera, all routed into a Linux- powered computer system housed in the glove box, controlled via joystick, with a 21.5-inch monitor mounted on the dashboard.

Ok, so this is quite impressive, and I highly encourage watching the video below to get an idea of what he's done, but he has essentially managed to create a somewhat self-driving car by himself. Although understand this is far from a finished model being used in the real world, this is just something that has been shown he can make work.

When you take into account how much money and time mega-coorperations are putting into this, its impressive that he's managed to even get this far, atleast from my point of view.

Most of what is driving this is his own software, which he has programmed to "observe and learn" to drive from actual drivers, which I find to be very interesting.

Video

He intends to sell the entire package, the cameras and the group of software used to sellers or manufacturers to improove the vehicles.

Well, what do people think? Are you impressed? Think he could've done it better?

Yeah, Google needs some competition before they establish a monopoly!

~sarcasm~

With that being said, thats really cool and I hope it becomes commonplace sometime before I die.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Yeah, Google needs some competition before they establish a monopoly!

~sarcasm~

With that being said, thats really cool and I hope it becomes commonplace sometime before I die.

if it was Anybody else i wouldn't believe it

but this guy .... is on a different league

I Agree, wholeheartedly.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I bet he will get hired by google, apple or samsung or any other big car-manufacturer in the next month :)

Impressive work

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10

This is somewhat impressive that he built a self driving car in a garage, but Tony Stark built an Iron Man suit in a cave. This pales in comparison.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Fucking savage

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Now this is cool.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

inb4 sue cuz reasons

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Wait, stop.

A lot of people drive very bad and dangerous. The car should not have to learn from them, it is supposed to do it better.

But still an impressive achivement.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Wait, stop.

A lot of people drive very bad and dangerous. The car should not have to learn from them, it is supposed to do it better.

It can. LiDAR is a very competent piece of tech. Now just pair it with a hogh precision guiding system and it can drive itself safely. The hard part is the software not the hardware. Now if they start using LiDAR generated maps from these cars in Eurotruck simulator 2, that would be awesome!

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Wait, stop.

Well if this becomes a product most likely the tech is pre taught before its sold, and then learn more down the road. who would buy a auto pilot system that you have to teach. its like buying a teenager personal driver.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Am I the only one who at first read George Hotz as Giga Hertz?

This is amazing. He will do it.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Am I the only one who at first read George Hotz as Giga Hertz?

Yes  :P

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

They keyword here is "somewhat".

99% of the research is going into ironing out the "somewhat".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The amazing thing is that he did this all by himself (which also holds true with all of his past exploits: iPhone, PS3). His software consists of only 2000 lines of code (as compared to hundreds of thousands in other self-driving cars), and off-the-shelf parts (Intel NUC, USB hubs, GPS sensors, Dell touchscreen monitor, etc.), all completely funded by his winnings from hacking contests (cost: $50k which includes the car). His software is also unique, as it uses "deep learning" AI technology, it learns each time you drive - which also explains why his code his so compact.

Read the original Bloomberg Business article HERE.

feat_georgehotz52_1280.jpg

I haven't heard about GeoHotz in a long time. If this is what he has been doing while he has been missing from hacking iphones and computers, this guy deserves to be successful. To do this on ones own in his garage, damn man. 

Don't get me wrong, I still want a Tesla, but damn, I wouldn't mind a finished product from him.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Impressive, but I don't know how to feel about the "drive like a human" thing, most humans are idiots.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Hopefully Sony won't sue him.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

"software is programmed to observe and learn from other drivers"

So... if I take it to a drift event, will the car start going drifting on its own?