Old PC Recent RAM Upgrade caused issues

Specter2313
Go to solution Solved by Specter2313,

i know its been a few days since i started this post, i have since tested every stick using memtest86 (old and new) one at a time. no errors to speak of. Im not sure if i mentioned it before, but my motherboard does not support any type of overclocking. at all. (and no they've never updated the bios for it) i then attempted to add ram stick by stick. now i had always heard that when installing ram, its 1,3 / 2,4 as far as slots and order to fill them. however, when i put the second 4gig stick in the 3rd channel, the computer started bluescreening again. so i decided to try it in 1,2 which had no problems. as soon as i put a 4g in slot 3 it started bluescreening again. at the moment i have 2 4g sticks in the first 2 slots, and 2 2g sticks in the last 2 slots, bringing my total up to 12gigs of ram. haven't had an issue with it yet.

-so my new question is even though the specs say all the slots are the same, are they actually different? 

so, basic question here, not sure how much info i should actually throw out because im hoping its an easy answer..

Recently started upgrades to my current outdated M2N68-LA (Narra3) motherboard. Had 4 x 1g ddr2 ram to begin with. after a little googling on the manufacturer website it says "Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs." I am running windows 7 ultimate x64. on a whim i acquired 4x4gig sticks. installed them all, booted, the POST recognized them, got into windows, which saw them. but as soon as i attempted to do anything i started blue-screening. tried running a ram test, it detect an error, and said to contact manufacturer to resolve.

To answer ahead of time, no there are no BIOS updates available, apparently there never were.

Old ram is made by "hynix" new ram is "Samsung".

My question is does the board really only support a max of 8 gigs of ram (4x2 gig sticks)? or did i just end up with defective 4gig sticks?

(can and am willing to give more info, but like i said, hope its not all needed)

((also i justify this as a new thread because it applies to an older model board whereas current threads with ram issues most likely apply to much more recent boards))

manufacturer website

Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs.

4x4gig sticks

Its all there

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

It could be both or one of them. Sometimes one can cause a system failure. I would suggest taking one out and trying to boot it up. If it still blue screens, place the one you took out back in and take out the other one. If it STILL doesn't work, it could be both sticks or something wrong with your PC. How old are we talking?

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

it was made in 2008.

from the other googling i was doing though, i got the impression that if i overloaded it, it most likely wouldn't get past POST. but i did get all the way into windows, and it registered as having 16g of ram.

i was about to start the ram testing, but im currently on that computer...

exactly what ram did you get?

and did you check the voltages?

and did you bump the voltages at all?

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
*32-bit operating systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

not sure where you got that from:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
    • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
    • 32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
that's the "Memory upgrade information" that i found. i did not modify the ram at all, and the new sticks are...
samsung m378t5263az3-cf7
TypeDRAM
TechnologyDDR2 SDRAM
Form FactorDIMM 240-pin
Module Height (inch)1.18
Speed800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
Latency TimingsCL6 ( 6-6-6 )
Data Integrity CheckNon-ECC
Features8K refresh, dual rank, On-Die Termination (ODT) , unbuffered
Module Configuration512 x 64
Chips Organization256 x 8
Voltage1.8 V

strange, though i can confirm that i can get at least 2gig sticks to work, as im currently running 2 x 1gig / 2 x 2gig.

post the link that has your board. there are several different ones. maybe i picked the wrong one.

the last link you posted was correct, but maybe it was posted before they had the 2g and 4g sticks available? i had a friend who's board (much newer but no idea what it actually is) who's manufacturer website said its max was 16g but he is currently running and using a full 32g.

do the 6gigs show up in the bios and at the desktop? and at the right speeds?

back in the days of yore when adding 4sticks of ram I used to have to bump the voltages ever so slightly. you're running 4sticks but not 8gigs..???

what are the voltages and are they different than what was originally there?

i know its been a few days since i started this post, i have since tested every stick using memtest86 (old and new) one at a time. no errors to speak of. Im not sure if i mentioned it before, but my motherboard does not support any type of overclocking. at all. (and no they've never updated the bios for it) i then attempted to add ram stick by stick. now i had always heard that when installing ram, its 1,3 / 2,4 as far as slots and order to fill them. however, when i put the second 4gig stick in the 3rd channel, the computer started bluescreening again. so i decided to try it in 1,2 which had no problems. as soon as i put a 4g in slot 3 it started bluescreening again. at the moment i have 2 4g sticks in the first 2 slots, and 2 2g sticks in the last 2 slots, bringing my total up to 12gigs of ram. haven't had an issue with it yet.

-so my new question is even though the specs say all the slots are the same, are they actually different? 

i dont believe so, i attempted to install the ram before i upgraded the cpu. after running into issues, i did the cpu before i did the ram testing, and am still running into the same problems. though at this point its not so much of a problem, im only 4g under my ram goal.

on a different note, i believe i am going to make this forum my main stop for questions. thank you all for the help and the speedy responses.