Five New AMD FreeSync Monitors Debuting At CES From LG And AOC – Include 4K And Curved 21:9 QHD 160Hz Models

Mr_Troll

Five New AMD FreeSync Monitors Debuting At CES From LG And AOC – Include 4K And Curved 21:9 QHD 160Hz Models

The selection of AMD FreeSync monitors is gaining five new worthy additions come CES 2016 from LG and AOC with a truly impressive and diverse set of features and specs. With CES 2016 quickly approaching many companies are announcing what they’re planning to debut ahead of the event, as such we’re getting a glimpse into what LG and AOC have in store for us next month.

AMD-FreeSync.jpg

Both companies announced several monitors that will be showcased at the CES 2016 show floor in Las Vegas, however in this particular article we’ll only discus the monitors which have been announced with FreeSync support.

Three New AMD FreeSync Monitors Coming From LG – UD68, 29″ UC88 and 34″ UC88

The C3583FQ from AOC is one of the more exciting additions that we’ve seen. This is a ultrawide 21:9 gaming monitor features a beautiful curved AMVA panel with a refresh rate of up to 160Hz – with overclocking – 144Hz standard and support for AMD FreeSync technology.  The company did not reveal what resolution this monitor will support, but it’s safe to say that we’re looking at either 3440×1440 or 2560×1080. The I/O is comprised of 2 x HDMI 1.4 ports, 2 x DisplayPort 1.2a+ ports and a 3.5mm audio jack. Finally the monitor also features integrated rear facing  5W speakers

AOC-C3583FQ-with-AMD-FreeSync-support.-j

The second FreeSync monitor AOC is going to showcase at CES is the U2798VF. Which features 28″ TN panel featuring an UHD (3840×2160) resolution and a 60Hz refresh rate. AOC states that this monitor is set to be available in stores by March of next year.

All three monitors from LG feature beautiful IPS panels and AMD FreeSync technology. The UD68 is a flat 27 inch display with a resolution of 3840×2160 and a maximumrefresh rate of 60Hz.

AMD-FreeSync-LG.jpg

The UC88 29″ and 34″ both feature curved ultrawisde 21:9 panels and both sizes feature a 3440×1440 resolution and come with Thunderbolt 2 connectivity. LG has not yet announced what maximum refresh rate these curved monitors will be capable of but we’re probably looking at 60 to 75 Hertz.

Pretty nice lineup of monitors i must say.

source: http://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-ces2016/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

The new lg monitors have the exact same stand design that samsung has been using on their higher end monitors. Looks nice.

PIC

PIC

PIC

Pretty nice lineup of monitors i must say.

source: http://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-ces2016/

The Curved 21:9 monitor cant be 160 Hz and 3440x1440 if it does not have DP 1.3. 100 Hz is the MAX DP 1.2a can do at that res.

Neato. Too bad I'll never buy a Free or G Sync monitor because I don't want to feel restricted to one company for future upgrades.

At least Free sync runs on a VESA standard. if Intel starts to use adaptive sync then it may put Nvidia in a harder spot. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

"a ultrawide"

"an UHD"

The illiteracy is strong with this one. But it's wccftech.

Anyway, I was in the market for a UHD 21:9 monitor with Freesync, but now I literally just broke my trusty old BenQ GW2400W and my replacement has to be here by early January. Won't be waiting for any of these. Already settled on LG's 75hz 2560x1080p 21:9 monitor.

Neato. Too bad I'll never buy a Free or G Sync monitor because I don't want to feel restricted to one company for future upgrades.

Freesync doesn't add to the cost, so if you see a Freesync monitor you like there's no reason not to get it.

G-sync runs a $55-$90 premium on top of what the monitor is actually worth.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You're not... You can use either with any brand, or your console. Only the G-Sync or Freesync part is locked to a particular brand at this stage. That said, Freesync models don't really cost that much more than the standard models.

And still no new monitor which I could actually afford...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Freesync doesn't add to the cost, so if you see a Freesync monitor you like there's no reason not to get it.

Wasn't actually aware of the cost differences (or lack thereof) of Freesync monitors. Nice to know.

You're not... You can use either with any brand, or your console. Only the G-Sync or Freesync part is locked to a particular brand at this stage.

I realize that. What I'm implying is that when you have a Freesync monitor you're swayed towards AMD to benefit from Freesync's features, whereas if you have a G-Sync monitor you're going to be slightly swayed towards Nvidia to take advantage of G-Sync.

I know that you can still use the monitor no matter what.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Wasn't actually aware of the cost differences (or lack thereof) of Freesync monitors. Nice to know.

I realize that. What I'm implying is that when you have a Freesync monitor you're swayed towards AMD to benefit from Freesync's features, whereas if you have a G-Sync monitor you're going to be slightly swayed towards Nvidia to take advantage of G-Sync.

I know that you can still use the monitor no matter what.

:P Just checking haha

Yeah, there isn't much of a cost difference for Freesync. Using the tech (be it G-Sync or Freesync) really does make an improvement on your gaming experience. 

The Curved 21:9 monitor cant be 160 Hz and 3440x1440 if it does not have DP 1.3. 100 Hz is the MAX DP 1.2a can do at that res.

At least Free sync runs on a VESA standard. if Intel starts to use adaptive sync then it may put Nvidia in a harder spot. 

Source for that?

The only thing I could find is that DP 1.2/1.2a has a max bandwidth: 17.28 Gbit/s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.2

I have yet to find a table or calculator that states bandwidth required for various 21:9 resolutions. There is a table for common resolutions, but they're pretty much all 16:9/16:10:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Technical_specifications

As an example:

3840 × 2160 × 24 bpp @ 60 Hz

Timing method used:

CVT-R2 - 12.54 Gbit/s

CEA-861-F - 14.26 Gbit/s

I'm not sure which timing method normal GPU's use over DP, but either of those 4K @ 60Hz bandwidths are under the max 17.28 Gbit/s.

Also keep in mind that 21:9 1440p has significantly less pixels per frame compared to 4K.

21:9 1440p

3440 x 1440 = 4,953,600 pixels per frame - or just under 5 MPix

16:9 4K

3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400 pixels per frame, or just under 8.3 MPix

That's ~67% more pixels per frame (Or 1.67 times as many).

My point being is that if there is enough bandwidth for 4K @ 60Hz, I could see there possibly being enough bandwidth for 21:9 1440p @ 120+ Hz.

However, this is entirely speculative on my part, just based on math and some estimations. If you have a source that says 21:9 1440p @ 100 Hz is a hard limit, please share, I would be interested in reading the details and bandwidth numbers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Great news, I'd really love to see a Dell monitor with Freesync, but I can settle for LG.

Now the price....I'll wait.

Source for that?

The only thing I could find is that DP 1.2/1.2a has a max bandwidth: 17.28 Gbit/s

I have yet to find a table or calculator that states bandwidth required for various 21:9 resolutions. There is a table for common resolutions, but they're pretty much all 16:9/16:10:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Technical_specifications

As an example:

3840 × 2160 × 24 bpp @ 60 Hz

Timing method used:

CVT-R2 - 12.54 Gbit/s

CEA-861-F - 14.26 Gbit/s

I'm not sure which timing method normal GPU's use over DP, but either of those 4K @ 60Hz bandwidths are under the max 17.28 Gbit/s.

Also keep in mind that 21:9 1440p has significantly less pixels per frame compared to 4K.

21:9 1440p

3440 x 1440 = 4,953,600 pixels per frame - or just under 5 MPix

16:9 4K

3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400 pixels per frame, or just under 8.3 MPix

That's ~67% more pixels per frame (Or 1.67 times as many).

My point being is that if there is enough bandwidth for 4K @ 60Hz, I could see there possibly being enough bandwidth for 21:9 1440p @ 120+ Hz.

However, this is entirely speculative on my part, just based on math and some estimations. If you have a source that says 21:9 1440p @ 100 Hz is a hard limit, please share, I would be interested in reading the details and bandwidth numbers.

to clarify I was not saying a hard limit, I just know that 100 ish is around the limit of the cable. 4k @ 60Hz is about as far as the cable can go, bandwidth wise. my main point is that DP 1.2a cant do 160Hz while DP 1.3 can.

If yo take DP 1.2 spec of 17.28 Gbit/s vs DP 1.3 of 25.92 Gbit/s and calculate down from 3440x1440 @ 144Hz you get 96Hz, not saying this is that accurate but I think I saw some were DP 1.2 is roughly limited to 100Hz at the Res by bandwidth.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9836/amd-unveils-2016-vistech-roadmap

to clarify I was not saying a hard limit, I just know that 100 ish is around the limit of the cable. 4k @ 60Hz is about as far as the cable can go, bandwidth wise. my main point is that DP 1.2a cant do 160Hz while DP 1.3 can.

Why do you say that 4K @ 60Hz is as far as the cable can go, when the DP 1.2a spec can handle 3.02 Gbit/s (or 4.74 Gbit/s, depending on the spec) additional bandwidth? There might be some overhead preventing you from using every scrap of the pipe, but 17.5% overhead? That's crazy high.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why do you say that 4K @ 60Hz is as far as the cable can go, when the DP 1.2a spec can handle 3.02 Gbit/s (or 4.74 Gbit/s, depending on the spec) additional bandwidth? There might be some overhead preventing you from using every scrap of the pipe, but 17.5% overhead? That's crazy high.

.7 Gb/s is used for AUX channel. I know DP is not really locked to and res or Hz it is only lock based on bandwidth and 4k@60 is near its limits. also quality of cable are a big factor when running close to the limit. I know when you have a MST hooked up to a AMD card it CCC will tell you bandwidth used per screen, and amount left in the protocol. sadly I don't know were my MST hub is.

this is who much is cut out for overhead

"DisplayPort 1.2 has more bandwidth at 21.6 Gbit/s[59] (17.28 Gbit/s with overhead removed) as opposed to HDMI 2.0's 18 Gbit/s[60] (14.4 Gbit/s with overhead removed), and DisplayPort 1.3 raises that to 32.4 Gbit/s (25.92 Gbit/s with overhead removed)."

What I'm implying is that when you have a Freesync monitor you're swayed towards AMD to benefit from Freesync's features, whereas if you have a G-Sync monitor you're going to be slightly swayed towards Nvidia to take advantage of G-Sync.

Hey, Intel will also support freesync ;-)

So it's only Nvidia being left out.

Which makes me wonder. If you have an Optimus enabled laptop with display port output with a supported Intel IGP, could one run freesync? Technically, if the displayport is hooked up to the IGP and the drivers support it, you would be able to run freesync. Unless Nvidia blocks it. But if this was possible, then you could also run freesync on certain Nvidia based configurations :-)

One can only imagine Nvidia patching such a scenario within a week.

Hey, Intel will also support freesync ;-)

So it's only Nvidia being left out.

Which makes me wonder. If you have an Optimus enabled laptop with display port output with a supported Intel IGP, could one run freesync? Technically, if the displayport is hooked up to the IGP and the drivers support it, you would be able to run freesync. Unless Nvidia blocks it. But if this was possible, then you could also run freesync on certain Nvidia based configurations :-)

One can only imagine Nvidia patching such a scenario within a week.

Only if that DisplayPort is revision 1.2a or higher.

"a ultrawide"

"an UHD"

The illiteracy is strong with this one. But it's wccftech.

Anyway, I was in the market for a UHD 21:9 monitor with Freesync, but now I literally just broke my trusty old BenQ GW2400W and my replacement has to be here by early January. Won't be waiting for any of these. Already settled on LG's 75hz 2560x1080p 21:9 monitor.

https://www.komplett.no/product/844771/datautstyr/skjermer/skjermer/acer-34-predator-curved-led-xr341ck#

Stupid money. I'd pay max 6000-7000 NOK for those features. I've decided on the LG 29UM blahblahblah 1080p ultra widescreen because it delivers some value for money.

*Also I won't buy Acer for the way they fucked with their own XG270HU owners.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Stupid money. I'd pay max 6000-7000 NOK for those features. I've decided on the LG 29UM blahblahblah 1080p ultra widescreen because it delivers some value for money.

*Also I won't buy Acer for the way they fucked with their own XG270HU owners.

dude..

2560x1080p @ 29" has terrible pixel density...

a 1080p 23" IPS panel would be WAY crisper...

get 3440x1440p when going ultrawide... yes it demands more hefty hardware, but it is WORTH it once you start lookin into pixel density.

dude..

2560x1080p @ 29" has terrible pixel density...

No, 29" in a 21:9 aspect ratio is a lot smaller than 29" in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Go see one for yourself.

It's measured diagonally across the panel. It's more like a 24" if it were 16:9.

Pixels per inch:

1920x1080 at 29" = 75.962 ppi

2560x1080 at 29" = 95.809 ppi

In fact, a normal 24" 1920x1080 screen has lower pixel density at 91.787 ppi.

Yumm

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Not interested in FreeSync, however I'm definitely interested in 34 ultrawide displays. The more of them are on the market the better. Hopefully prices will go down next year. I'm planning to grab one for myself.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.