MSI Launching 1151 Socket Bracket to Stop CPUs Bending

Rune

Sources: http://www.techspot.com/news/63173-msi-cpu-guard-skylake-bend.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/218355/msi-announces-cpu-guard-1151.html

I personally think it will add more cost to the board and is not necessary, but it looks a lot cooler than the old system even if it serves no real purpose beyond helping poorly shipped prebuilt systems. What are your thoughts?

To help prevent this from happening, MSI has launched a new product, called the CPU Guard 1151, that attempts to reinforce the CPU socket through a tough metal bracket. The CPU Guard essentially replaces Intel's stock lever-arm mounting system, adding extra strength to the corners and sides of the socket.

2015-12-16-image-16.jpg

The CPU Guard 1151 supports all socket 1151 processors, including those from Intel's Core, Pentium, Celeron and Xeon lines. MSI hasn't revealed how much this bracket will cost, or when it'll be available, but it could be a cheap way to ensure your Skylake processor doesn't bend.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Fixed typo.

Will this be sold separately? 

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

The skylake processors do have a bending problem with heavy heatsinks and theres nothing Intel could do at this point so a motherboard with a stronger bracket is quite a good idea.

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

I doubt it will cost much.

Also it looks baller as hell.

Might mess with aesthetics if you're on a non-MSI MOBO.

Good boy points to MSI.

Agreed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Will this be sold separately? 

The articles don't mention, though looking at the picture I can't imagine it would be too hard to do.

The articles don't mention, though looking at the picture I can't imagine it would be too hard to do.

yeah i hope it doesn't brake the bank and comes to Australia same time as everyone.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Intel should've prevented this from being an issue in the first place by making the PCB thicker and stronger. I hope this doesn't become a thing like smartphones - namely, the idea of "always trying to be thinner."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Sources: http://www.techspot.com/news/63173-msi-cpu-guard-skylake-bend.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/218355/msi-announces-cpu-guard-1151.html

I personally think it will add more cost to the board and is not necessary, but it looks a lot cooler than the old system even if it serves no real purpose beyond helping poorly shipped prebuilt systems. What are your thoughts?

That would probably drop costs because its a single piece of stamped steel instead of a multi piece hinge and latch system, but the change would be under 10 cents. 

In my opinion it should be free if its an addon that is.. Its intels screw up. why should someone have to pay to fix something that wasn't their fault to begin with?

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

In my opinion it should be free if its an addon that is.. Its intels screw up. why should someone have to pay to fix something that wasn't their fault to begin with?

That is if Intel was the one that came up with this solution

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That is if Intel was the one that came up with this solution

I realize my wording was a bit weird. MSi is releasing it. but intel should be taking the bill since its originally their fault. sorta like what a car warranty is for.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

1) the thinner CPU PCB isn't even an issue, its just everyone overreacting to one post because some idiot used an electric screwdriver to tighten a CPU heatsink

and as usual, the stupid internet makes a huge deal out of nothing

2) i highly doubt that bracket does ANYTHING to stop the CPU bending since heatsinks apply pressure to the CPU and don't even touch the bracket

and if the heatsink DID touch the bracket, that would become a huge cooling issue because the cooler needs to contact the CPU directly with full pressure

3) it doesnt matter that it looks cool since you can't see any of it when there is a cooler or waterblock on the CPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So if I understand this correctly, There is no issue with bending CPU's in a standing system, it's only people travelling with a built system that have had issues?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

So if I understand this correctly, There is no issue with bending CPU's in a standing system, it's only people travelling with a built system that have had issues?

Pretty much. That or super over-the-top tightening.

Pretty much. That or super over-the-top tightening.

Ah it's just my gf was getting mega worried about her 6600k and the Phanteks cooler I have spare as it is a bit on the heavy side. Will let her know its fine.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Intel and msi shouldnt have to fix or try and prevent anything... if people are idiotic enough to tighten their cpu coolers to a point that it damages their cpu... then maybe having to replace their cpu will teach them to have common sense.

Its an ID10T problem... not a cpu problem

Intel and msi shouldnt have to fix or try and prevent anything... if people are idiotic enough to tighten their cpu coolers to a point that it damages their cpu... then maybe having to replace their cpu will teach them to have common sense.

Its an ID10T problem... not a cpu problem

Agreed. This new bracket looks like more of a pain to swap out CPUs too, even if it does look better.

Personally I think they could have done this better. A bracket that would take up the entire socket area, something like the 2011 or 2011-3 socket which serves the purpose of a mounting bracket too. At the moment, you add a chunk of metal, then you add a back plate. This looks ballin' but they could have done it differently.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

wouldn't asus's installation tool do pretty much the same thing

post-31389-0-76805200-1450351771_thumb.j

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

So that replaces the socket cover, since it's missing from that pic.

And that ihs in that cpu, doesn't look like a skylake, they're square, this looks rectangular.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Nice work MSI. I'll buy another one of your mother boards and GPUs haha

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Intel should've prevented this from being an issue in the first place by making the PCB thicker and stronger. I hope this doesn't become a thing like smartphones - namely, the idea of "always trying to be thinner."

It's clearly because of their relationship with Apple. /s

1) the thinner CPU PCB isn't even an issue, its just everyone overreacting to one post because some idiot used an electric screwdriver to tighten a CPU heatsink

and as usual, the stupid internet makes a huge deal out of nothing

2) i highly doubt that bracket does ANYTHING to stop the CPU bending since heatsinks apply pressure to the CPU and don't even touch the bracket

and if the heatsink DID touch the bracket, that would become a huge cooling issue because the cooler needs to contact the CPU directly with full pressure

3) it doesnt matter that it looks cool since you can't see any of it when there is a cooler or waterblock on the CPU

Wasn't the issue caused by shipping?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide