Is folding while out of town away from my pc ok to do?

I just started folding yesterday and am currently at 18 WU and around 50k points, but my question is would it be safe to leave my pc on and folding while im out of town for 7 days?

My pc hits 65c on the cpu and 67c on the gpu for a steady 20 hours on max power setting, so the temps would be ok imo. 

I have read the forum about hardware degradation but i would like to have your guys opinion on whether or not i should leave my pc for an extended amount of time unattended. Of course im not going to leave it on full tilt the hole time, so maybe medium settings. What do you guys think. My pc is literately less than 70 hours old so i'm not really sure if I trust it enough or even if its ok to do.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Should be fine. I'd set up something like NZXT CAM (or something less proprietary) to warn you if temps get too high though.

I just started folding yesterday and am currently at 18 WU and around 50k points, but my question is would it be safe to leave my pc on and folding while im out of town for 7 days?

My pc hits 65c on the cpu and 67c on the gpu for a steady 20 hours on max power setting, so the temps would be ok imo. 

I have read the forum about hardware degradation but i would like to have your guys opinion on whether or not i should leave my pc for an extended amount of time unattended. Of course im not going to leave it on full tilt the hole time, so maybe medium settings. What do you guys think. My pc is literately less than 70 hours old so i'm not really sure if I trust it enough or even if its ok to do.

I regularly leave my PC crunching for around 4 days without looking at it. Unless you have one of those crappy PSUs that could explode at any moment, you should be fine.

About the hardware degradation, that's BS. Well, I suppose it'll break the card 5y earlier than the half century normal lifespan... but no one really went that far to know. If your temps are cool (and they are), you can ignore that aspect completely. I have Radeon 4450; still going strong after 6y of continuous abuse. Is the card anygood for today's standards? Not at all. But it still works.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I regularly leave my PC crunching for around 4 days without looking at it. Unless you have one of those crappy PSUs that could explode at any moment, you should be fine.

About the hardware degradation, that's BS. Well, I suppose it'll break the card 5y earlier than the half century normal lifespan... but no one really went that far to know. If your temps are cool (and they are), you can ignore that aspect completely. I have Radeon 4450; still going strong after 6y of continuous abuse. Is the card anygood for today's standards? Not at all. But it still works.

good to know. Im using a corsair rm1000x psu, so a decent one imo. My biggest problem is trusting my pc since its still kinda new. Im using a old r9 280 so i dont really care about it, but i do my cpu and pretty much everything else. 

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

good to know. Im using a corsair rm1000x psu, so a decent one imo. My biggest problem is trusting my pc since its still kinda new. Im using a old r9 280 so i dont really care about it, but i do my cpu and pretty much everything else. 

You'll be fine. Chill.

(though dat PSU..... y so much W??? geez............)

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

You'll be fine. Chill.

(though dat PSU..... y so much W??? geez............)

980ti sli in about 3 months

980ti sli in about 3 months

You could do quad SLI and still be perfectly fine with that.

You could do quad SLI and still be perfectly fine with that.

I disagree. Tri-SLI might be an option but it'd be a stretch if you're overclocking anything I think.

Sig under construction.

I disagree. Tri-SLI might be an option but it'd be a stretch if you're overclocking anything I think.

Okay, maybe you are right....

Ya your fine, worse comes to worse the system will shut off to prevent anything bad from happening. Install Teamviewer on it and your laptop (or even your phone) if you have one and you can check in on it whenever. Happy folding and nice system :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Ya your fine, worse comes to worse the system will shut off to prevent anything bad from happening. Install Teamviewer on it and your laptop (or even your phone) if you have one and you can check in on it whenever. Happy folding and nice system :P

^This (I work for him, BTW)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Heat is what destroys GPUs.  For folding, don't overclock your card, or if it has a factory overclock that runs hot, down clock it until it is running at a reasonable temp (75c or less should be fine).  You shouldn't have any shortened life expectancy in those ranges unless it had a problem to begin with.  And when it does crap out, a newer, better, cheaper card will be available to replace it.  This will also make it less likely that your PC has any problems while you are away.  

I recently went on vacation and left my rig at a friends house to fold while I was gone (she has solar power, so didn't mind the extra power usage).  After about 5 weeks, I noticed it had stopped producing points , so I had them reboot the system and it was fine (never did figure out what caused the stoppage, <shrug>).  It's a windows system.  I'm now testing a dedicated linux system as they are reputed to have a more reliable up-time.  So far, the only reason for rebooting the system has been client work units getting "hung up", and not any problem the system has had.

I have found that folding doesn't typically use as much power as heavy gaming.  The 5 NVidias I've tested use around 75% as much as their gaming power usage (as posted by their reviews - I haven't performed any gaming power studies myself).

As for SLI, folding doesn't require SLI.  You can run all of your cards separately and not have to worry about SLI configuration for folding.  If you intend to game with your system (or use it for something else that needs SLI) when you are not folding, then that's a different story - see https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/wingpuguide/ for more information, in that case.  

Hope this helps  :)

- Pete

P.S. welcome to the team (hopefully Team Linus  :D), and if you haven't already, don't forget to get a passkey for that Quick Return Bonus!

Folding For Linus since July 2015