Do mechanical keyboards wear out like membrane keyboards?

MegaDave91

Or do Cherry MX switches remain the same through out the keyboards life?\

To clarify, do Cherry MX switches stay the same until the day they stop working? Unlike membrane keyboards where they start to get really mushy.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

They eventually wear out, but take much longer.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They will eventually wear out but by the time it comes to that you probably will be getting a new keyboard.

it's something like

Membrane: 5 - 10 million clicks (not too sure)

Mechanical : 50 million clicks

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Everything wears out, it's near impossible not too.

Higher quality (I.E. mechanical) take more time to wear out.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Sorry I wasn't a little more specific guys. I know all keyboards will fail at some point (even mechanical), but does the tactile response of a mechanical key switch change through out its life cycle?  

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Sorry I wasn't a little more specific guys. I know all keyboards will fail at some point (even mechanical), but does the tactile response of mechanical key switches change through out the life cycle?

It depends on the condition that you keep your keyboard in, if you get water on it, food in it or throw it around it will begin to degrade. But honestly, I haven't got to the point where it is noticeable yet.

It depends on the condition that you keep your keyboard in, if you get water on it, food in it or throw it around it will begin to degrade. But honestly, I haven't got to the point where it is noticeable yet.

And even if you drop food or any other stuff, it's easier to clean. If it really is a HUGE mess, you can take a mechanical keyboard apart other than just the caps. You can even take the whole mx switch out of the plate/pcb. 

If a switch doesnt work, there are ppl that sell mx switches(on forums: Deskthority.net/geekhack.org). On some boards it is hard to put these in tho, you need to have experience with modding boards.