Cleaning & Reapplying CPU/GPU Thermal Paste on Clevo laptop, also finding correct WLAN card?

PianoPlayer88Key

Hi guys... So I just got the rest of the parts for my Clevo P750DM-G laptop, and it turns out the WLAN card I bought was the wrong one.  (I thought Newegg said it was M.2, and Clevo's site says it's M.2, but apparently there's different types of M.2?)  Where can I get one (besides 3rd-party Amazon/Newegg sellers or ebay) before the 23rd?  It has to be an Intel card (I'm thinking 7265, but maybe a 7260 or 8260 might work), cause I'll be running Linux on this laptop.

post-281572-0-57457800-1450223542_thumb.

Also what's the right way to clean off the thermal paste from the GTX 970M?  I had to take its heatsink off (it was connected to the CPU heatsink, unless there was something I missed that I could have separated?) to install the CPU.  And should I use the paste that RJTech supplied, or my Cooler Master paste (that I bought with the 212 Evo in January and applied to my 4790K)?  Btw temps on my 4790K are either 99C at 3.7 GHz with P95 2.87, or 84C at 4.5 GHz with P95 2.66, running it for about 10-15 seconds.  (I aborted on the hotter test cause I knew that result wasn't good.)

post-281572-0-36857900-1450223535_thumb.

More details (as well as having missed a screw that someone on nbr missed mentioning in his teardown video and bending my keyboard in the removal process) are in my forum post at notebookreview.

don't run P95 as a stresser

Run AIDA64 or Intel XTU, I would recommend cleaning off the thermal paste off the heatsink itself too so nothing is on it.

Download drivers for that Wlan card and it should work mate. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

@Ramamataz, if you look at the picture, you can see it's the wrong physical connection, so I gotta RMA it and order a different one.  (I need it in time for my trip to coastal central CA(US), leaving on the 24th as early as 7-8am from San Diego - not yet sure if I should have them ship me the new one, or if I should do the exchange in L.A....Currently have a 44-minute wait for newegg live chat.)

@Ronnie76, what would be the difference between Intel XTU and Aida64?  Also is there a tutorial / proper way to clean off the existing paste?

@Ramamataz, if you look at the picture, you can see it's the wrong physical connection, so I gotta RMA it and order a different one.  (I need it in time for my trip to coastal central CA(US), leaving on the 24th as early as 7-8am from San Diego - not yet sure if I should have them ship me the new one, or if I should do the exchange in L.A....Currently have a 44-minute wait for newegg live chat.)

@Ronnie76, what would be the difference between Intel XTU and Aida64?  Also is there a tutorial / proper way to clean off the existing paste?

Why not just nab a good USG wifi adapter ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

That is definitely not M.2. They sent you the wrong one.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I think, @exercutor5, more like I ordered the wrong one and was misled by the specs on the site.  I've ordered #N82E16833106276 to replace it.  Hopefully it gets here before the 23rd so I can install it, in the meantime I'll be without wireless internet.  (I can still hook up via LAN though at home.)

no big difference between XTU and AIDA64 except AIDA64 has a trial and XTU is free. Take a cloth and get it wet with isopropyl alcohol, Higher purity the better and wipe it off until its all gone. and I assume you know the pea sized dot of thermal paste on the CPU and GPU

Ahh, I guess I'd probably use XTU then.  It would work on a non-K SKU, right?  As for the isopropyl alcohol, the highest I have I think is 90 or 91% - would that work?   I see Fry's has 99.953% but I don't want to spend $12 for a bottle that I probably would use only once, maybe twice in the next few years or something.

Also what are some good free (not trial) benchmark utilities?  I was looking at 3dmark, cinebench, & a couple others that the LTT group uses on their videos, but they're not free it seems. :(  (I'd prefer "free software" not just free in price, for both Windows and Linux.)

Ahh, I guess I'd probably use XTU then.  It would work on a non-K SKU, right?  As for the isopropyl alcohol, the highest I have I think is 90 or 91% - would that work?   I see Fry's has 99.953% but I don't want to spend $12 for a bottle that I probably would use only once, maybe twice in the next few years or something.

Also what are some good free (not trial) benchmark utilities?  I was looking at 3dmark, cinebench, & a couple others that the LTT group uses on their videos, but they're not free it seems. :(  (I'd prefer "free software" not just free in price, for both Windows and Linux.)

Just use the basic version of 3DMark Firestrike, it is free, and also known as a demo in some cases.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

So I got the thermal paste cleaned, and the laptop put back together.  (Still don't have a WLAN card yet.)  It turns on and posts, but doesn't boot yet as there's no OS installed.  I tried to boot an older 2GB SD card I'd had with Ubuntu on it but it wouldn't take, so I'm gonna use a multi-boot iso creator (gonna try YUMI first, then if that doesn't do what I want I'll try MultiBootUSB) to put several Linux distros on to try.

Also, I downloaded 3DMark on my PC and ran it.  I actually did moderately well in the Firestrike physics test, getting around 30fps ... but on both graphics tests I was doing good to hit 4-5 fps, and on the combined test it routinely dipped low enough to have a 0 to the left of the decimal point!  I'd run it on my new laptop once I get Linux up and running, but I don't see that it's available for Linux.  (I'd expect it to be worse on physics due to only having 4 threads (i3-6100) vs 8 (i7-4790K), and better on graphics due to having a 970M vs HD 4600.)