APUs and the future of processing

Kuzma

Why does everything I read about dravic always go back to benchmarks he is satisfied with and not his real experience? He always has to argue with everything as well... anyways, I find most benchmarks to show a lot of difference on paper while in reality it doesn't make that much of a difference, anyhow. @Kuzma I thank you for this thread.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

APU's are gonna be so beast with huma. I am planning on building a Next-gen console killer with one of the huma enabled prosessors. 

This thread was pretty interesting because I didn't know that Intel's CPU's are considered APUs.

Back from the dead....

I have an A10-5800k and I couldn't be happier with it, plays all the games I play at pretty much max settings for only $120, so don't be so hateful of them please...

I don't think you are playing games like MechWarrior Online or Battlefield 3...

Either way good article Kuzma, I have been thoroughly enlightened =)

To add on, I really cannot wait to see what AMD will bring to the market in the future. They really hyped up their Kaveri APU which they said would be a revolutionary change if I am not mistaken. If the CPU performance was boosted while maintaining good GPU performance, Intel have to watch their backs because people will be more inclined to buy AMD for its value.

As long as Intel does not hold a monopoly and release stupid high prices, I shall be happy

I don't think you are playing games like MechWarrior Online or Battlefield 3...

Either way good article Kuzma, I have been thoroughly enlightened =)

To add on, I really cannot wait to see what AMD will bring to the market in the future. They really hyped up their Kaveri APU which they said would be a revolutionary change if I am not mistaken. If the CPU performance was boosted while maintaining good GPU performance, Intel have to watch their backs because people will be more inclined to buy AMD for its value.

As long as Intel does not hold a monopoly and release stupid high prices, I shall be happy

Well not just for the value but also for the raw compute performance ^_^ if Kaveri does allow the CPU to access the GPU for floating point performance then we're going to see a complete flip of the CPU market once 8 core APUs are created.

Thank you by the way :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Well not just for the value but also for the raw compute performance ^_^ if Kaveri does allow the CPU to access the GPU for floating point performance then we're going to see a complete flip of the CPU market once 8 core APUs are created.

Thank you by the way :P

AMD would be giving Intel a run for their money once again haha. And don't forget the single thread performances are a little to be desired for on APUs. Hence if they improve on the single threaded performance and enchance the multi threaded performance, APUs will be "OP" in a sense.

And no problem =) It's always nice to see someone putting a lot of effort into the forum

AMD would be giving Intel a run for their money once again haha. And don't forget the single thread performances are a little to be desired for on APUs. Hence if they improve on the single threaded performance and enchance the multi threaded performance, APUs will be "OP" in a sense.

And no problem =) It's always nice to see someone putting a lot of effort into the forum

True but as it stands I beleive most single-threaded benchmarks don't measure integer performance :P the APUs do however outperform their FX counterparts with the 6800k outperforming the 8350 single-core so they are indeed superior ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

True but as it stands I beleive most single-threaded benchmarks don't measure integer performance :P the APUs do however outperform their FX counterparts with the 6800k outperforming the 8350 single-core so they are indeed superior ^_^

Now that I did not know O_o

And Logan released a video saying that the A10-6800k performs as fast as a 965BE with a GTX 780 and sometimes faster than a 4770k which blows my mind. His benchmark results always spark controversial issues lol

Now that I did not know O_o

And Logan released a video saying that the A10-6800k performs as fast as a 965BE with a GTX 780 and sometimes faster than a 4770k which blows my mind. His benchmark results always spark controversial issues lol

That's because he's not afraid to have companies cut all ties with him for speaking the truth, just like with the Monitors with low response times.

That's because he's not afraid to have companies cut all ties with him for speaking the truth, just like with the Monitors with low response times.

But there is one thing that I REALLY want to know, is he wearing pants?

Jokes aside, if his benchmarks really do speak the truth, maybe pairing an A10 with a 7870 or something along those lines wouldn't be such a bad idea. Advantages of OpenCL, APU computing performance and low cost.

But there is one thing that I REALLY want to know, is he wearing pants?

Jokes aside, if his benchmarks really do speak the truth, maybe pairing an A10 with a 7870 or something along those lines wouldn't be such a bad idea. Advantages of OpenCL, APU computing performance and low cost.

That's exactly what the future of gaming is going to look like, relatively low end GPUs integrated into the CPU to perform OpenCL and Floating Point tasks allowing the GPU to be run 100% for rendering only allowing maximum FPS; this is the reason I've been considering getting an a10-6800k :P even more so after doing the research required for this thread; I am however very interested in Project Denver ^_^ although ARM always excites me.

That's exactly what the future of gaming is going to look like, relatively low end GPUs integrated into the CPU to perform OpenCL and Floating Point tasks allowing the GPU to be run 100% for rendering only allowing maximum FPS; this is the reason I've been considering getting an a10-6800k :P even more so after doing the research required for this thread; I am however very interested in Project Denver ^_^ although ARM always excites me.

Quite exciting isn't it? And by the looks of your title and thread, you sure love doing research. Keep up the good work and sharing knowledge. Also, what is project Denver? O_o

Quite exciting isn't it? And by the looks of your title and thread, you sure love doing research. Keep up the good work and sharing knowledge. Also, what is project Denver? O_o

Yup :D and I do actually :P especially about things that interest me ^_^ , I will keep doing threads and Project Denver is an ARM processor with an Nvidia GPU built into it O.o it's going to be crazy powerful I think and especially so since it'll be low power

Yup :D and I do actually :P especially about things that interest me ^_^ , I will keep doing threads and Project Denver is an ARM processor with an Nvidia GPU built into it O.o it's going to be crazy powerful I think and especially so since it'll be low power

Powerful low power GPUs? That would be amazing for mobile phones and maybe ultrabooks! Please, keep doing what you are doing

Powerful low power GPUs? That would be amazing for mobile phones and maybe ultrabooks! Please, keep doing what you are doing

I just love the fact that my news feed (via My Content in the User menu) is just you guys talking back and forth in 3 different threads. 

Keep it up. xD

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I just love the fact that my news feed (via My Content in the User menu) is just you guys talking back and forth in 3 different threads. 

Keep it up. xD

My news feed consist of you liking my post from different threads haha =)

It's because of this why I love this forum.

Powerful low power APUs to be exact :P

Keep it up. xD

I know right :D

My news feed consist of you liking my post from different threads haha =)

It's because of this why I love this forum.

This forum is amazing :D great community

Am I a terrible person because I think it would be funny to butcher my planned upgrade for my main rig to my htpc first to see what I can make an apu do?

I think it would be golden to put a 9970 (or 9970 CF) onto it and custom loop the A8 just for some fun to see what it can bench (might even be able to jag some dry ice for a bit of a laugh). I won't make promises but if I can negotiate it around my better half (the missus) i'll go ahead with it. (Only downside is i'll need to find a new motherboard because the current one will get destroyed if I start cranking up the voltages).

Also I second this forum being great, the amount of help people here provide and the fact that stupidity is kept to a minimum is an absolute sigh of relief compared to some other forums where every second day you have someone coming along being a spastic and then reporting you for infractions when you finally get annoyed with their stupidity.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)