Halp! possible portable hard drive problem

mournfulbarrel

Hey All,

I am looking to get a portable hard drive for someone for christmas. the problem i am having is that she uses both Apple and Microsoft products and i believe that would be a problem when using a portable hard drive. i know there are portables for mac and portables for windows, but are there any portable hard drives that would service both Macs and Windows desktops??? i think if you formatted the drive to fat32 it would work but then the files would be limited to 4gb and she deals with big files so that wouldn't work out???

if there isn't another way to fix it, is it possible to use a USB flash drive? that could work or no??? because if that works i could just buy a high capacity one but the portable hard drive would be much more efficient and spacious.

thanks for any and all help! 

snip

All USB 3 portable drives will support both OSX and Mac, if formatted to ExFat or NTFS (and installing NTFS drivers for OSX) or HFS (and installing HFS drivers on Windows).

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

**not an apple user**

Could you try and partition the HDD and get the best of both worlds?

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

As a mac and windows user, I deal with this by partitioning the HDD into two parts (OSX Extended and NTFS). Then I have a Mac run in bootcamp so it has the drivers to read off both formats.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

WD's My Passport hard drives work on both sides, i have one myself. Formatting it to fat32 would be hard because you have to find 3rd party software to do it. 

-snip-

Like ALwin mentioned above, the only restriction here is how your format the drive. You can buy whatever external hard drive you'd like. Fat32 will have read/write access on both MacOS and Windows. If you need files sizes bigger than 4GB, exFat is the way to go. It removes the file size limit (effectively) and still maintains read/write access on mac and PC.

Alternatively, you can format 2 separate partition on the drive.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

WD's My Passport hard drives work on both sides, i have one myself. Formatting it to fat32 would be hard because you have to find 3rd party software to do it. 

Both Windows and OSX can format drives to Fat32 easily.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

**not an apple user**

Could you try and partition the HDD and get the best of both worlds?

That would effectively "cut" the drive in half. Only the Mac partition would show up on mac, and PC partition on PC.

I just did this and formatted my drive to ExFat. Yes, the limitation is a 4gb file which screws me for some .iso files I have, but the drive will work seamlessly over Mac/PC. I have both.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Like ALwin mentioned above, the only restriction here is how your format the drive. You can buy whatever external hard drive you'd like. Fat32 will have read/write access on both MacOS and Windows. If you need files sizes bigger than 4GB, exFat is the way to go. It removes the file size limit (effectively) and still maintains read/write access on mac and PC.

Alternatively, you can format 2 separate partition on the drive.

if I reformatted the drive to use exFat, would that have any repercussions with the files themselves?

also, how could i reformat a portable hard drive to expat? could i just plug it into m windows pc and reformat it that easy?

if I reformatted the drive to use exFat, would that have any repercussions with the files themselves?

also, how could i reformat a portable hard drive to expat? could i just plug it into m windows pc and reformat it that easy?

Nope, no issues with your files for using this formatting type. And yeah, it's really that easy to reformat the drive. Here's a MS support link if you need help with it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-format-hard-disk-partition#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Both Windows and OSX can format drives to Fat32 easily.

not to the full size of the drive, windows will only do partitions.