The World's Comfiest Headphones, MK. 3

iamdarkyoshi

Just thought I would share my silly yet amazing headphones/headset. It is a heavily modded Sony MDR 101 headphones set. They are not easy to find these days, but a couple years ago I did a search and found a couple ebay listings for new old stock headphones in the original packaging for under 20 bucks. The audio quality from these is absolutely ASTOUNDING for not being over-the-ear headphones, and being so cheap.

Features:

25 ohm drivers

Sleeved shielded 4 pole cable, stolen from a dead USB mouse

Mic button on right speaker can, great for pausing music or videos, etc.

Microphone (in a stupid place on the left speaker can, it is not ideal but it picks up sound perfectly fine)

Single cable coming from the right side, cables for the mic and speaker are routed over the top and into the other side

Low profile right angle 3.5mm audio jack with strain relief

Ugly white fluffy covers on each side

Now that I covered the features, how about some images?

You HONESTLY want to see them?

Okay...

So here they are. You can see the ugly white fabric. It was the only fluffy fabric I had. You can also see the pause button on the right side.

post-128204-0-19476900-1450152428_thumb.

Right angled connector with strain relief and braided sleeving.

post-128204-0-14653400-1450152434_thumb.

I ran the wires from the right side to the left by dremmeling slots into the frame and running wires through them.

post-128204-0-77428300-1450152439_thumb.

post-128204-0-84088900-1450152445_thumb.

And here is the stupidly placed microphone. I never use it anyway, it is just there if I need it.

post-128204-0-02713800-1450152451_thumb.

AAAAANNNYYYWAY, I really like these headphones. I do not use them for PC gaming, that is what my home theater system is for. I use these when watching youtube videos while eating breakfast, before bed, etc. And they are ridiculously comfy. I do not want them to noise cancel, and they do a good job of achieving this. The right angled connector is starting to go bad though, time to buy another one...

What do you guys think of my stupidly weird headphones? I like them, my dad used to work for JBL and he says that the sound is very good. I would have to agree. 

Did you put the microphone there?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Lol, I modded some headphones like two years ago by taking apart three different 5$ head phones and just doing a mashup of them.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

On the side? yes. I never use it though, it is there if I want to use voice commands or something.

I honestly would love to see a thread with all your hardware mods lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.