Did I go overkill on my psu?

GeorgeKellow

no, not really

its not the best quality PSU though...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's the opposite of overkill.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

no you bought a shit psu

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

No. In fact that's a crappy PSU for overclocking.

No. In fact that's a crappy PSU for overclocking

I've overclocked to 3.9ghz and its fine! 

Get a quality PSU from EVGA, Seasonic, Leadex superflower or something else along those lines.

Haven't got much money atm, what would be a decent PSU that i can upgrade to a r9 390 with? Semi modular if possible around £50

80+ gold man, not bronze ...

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

EVGA 650 G1

EVGA G1? Thats barely an upgrade from the CX

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

i would suggest getiing atleast a 750 watt PSU, so you have lots of room for future upgrades.

maybe take a look at some of the models by EVGA?

That's almost entirely not needed unless the OP is going to get a bunch of hard drives, the board they picked doesn't support multiple GPU's so 750w would be extremely unnecessary.

I'm also confused as to why no one has called attention to the fact that getting a K chip with a non Z chipset board is stupid. As for CX units being crap they are inexpensive, you get what you pay for. They use cheaper components that don't have the tolerance that higher quality units would have and thus are less reliable when they are mishandled. I've had a CX 430 run a system with a 3570k OC'd to 4.8Ghz @1.45v and a GTX 960 OC'd to 1600/8350 @1.254v for a few months and it ran perfectly fine and before that it was running two dual core systems through a splitter for about a year of nonstop running. The thing about CX units is that they are sensitive to overheating which leads to issues when they are loaded near they max power capacity. If you keep airflow going through the unit while you're pushing it you won't have issues. If you let them get too hot while they're loaded close to their max there's an increased chance for failure. While there are better alternatives the CX units are still a legitimate option if the price is right.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

That's almost entirely not needed unless the OP is going to get a bunch of hard drives, the board they picked doesn't support multiple GPU's so 750w would be extremely unnecessary.

I'm also confused as to why no one has called attention to the fact that getting a K chip with a non Z chipset board is stupid. As for CX units being crap they are inexpensive, you get what you pay for. They use cheaper components that don't have the tolerance that higher quality units would have and thus are less reliable when they are mishandled. I've had a CX 430 run a system with a 3570k OC'd to 4.8Ghz @1.45v and a GTX 960 OC'd to 1600/8350 @1.254v for a few months and it ran perfectly fine and before that it was running two dual core systems through a splitter for about a year of nonstop running. The thing about CX units is that they are sensitive to overheating which leads to issues when they are loaded near they max power capacity. If you keep airflow going through the unit while you're pushing it you won't have issues. If you let them get too hot while they're loaded close to their max there's an increased chance for failure. While there are better alternatives the CX units are still a legitimate option if the price is right.

Thanks for the best response i've had! Would this be a decent PSU? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-500w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-100-b1-0500-kr-ca-005-ea.html 

As above, get a 4690k

£169 from Amazon UK

Extra £20~ for PSU

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2