Transfering OS from laptop to PC

SomeGreekGuy

I need your help. This can literally help me save 100+ euros.

So I have a laptop for the past 4 years, and it is really struggling. I upgraded from windows 7 to 8.1 hoping that it would help the PC, but I installed 64 bit instead of 32. Now I'm building my first PC and I need your help.

If I transfer the 500MB hard drive from my laptop to my PC, will the OS work? I asked microsoft but the guy didn't know if it is possible. Right now I have 8.1. I was thinking about transfering the hard drive to the new PC, backup all files, then upgrade to windows 10. 

Can it be done? I know that I can connect it with Sata cables, but will transfering OS with new software be a problem?

Thanks.

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

If you happen to have almost the same hardware setup, then probably... after a gazillion updates. And it will run like crap.

Windows will not activate however if that is what you are asking.

Yes but you really shouldn't do that.

And it will not be activated because the activation key is tied to your laptop's motherboard

You should buy a new windows key and install it from a DVD or usb (clean install)

I transfered my laptop HDD to desktop and it work just fine, i just need to install my desktop driver and remove my laptop old driver.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

no it wont work because motherboards use completely different drivers so half the stuff will be broken and not even work

lan drivers, sata drivers, usb drivers, etc...

you need to use a keyfinder to get your windows key, download an ISO of your exact windows version to a USB drive, use the ISO to install windows on your other PC, activate it with a key, then reinstall all your programs

at this point you can copy paste your files and media from the old laptop drive to your new PC

but ONLY files and media, not programs and games and stuff like that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I transfered my laptop HDD to desktop and it work just fine, i just need to install my desktop driver and remove my laptop old driver.

Desktop driver, laptop driver what?

And you'll see Windows will notify it is not activated

no it wont work because motherboards use completely different drivers so half the stuff will be broken and not even work

lan drivers, sata drivers, usb drivers, etc...

you need to use a keyfinder to get your windows key, download an ISO of your exact windows version to a USB drive, use the ISO to install windows on your other PC, activate it with a key, then reinstall all your programs

at this point you can copy paste your files and media from the old laptop drive to your new PC

but ONLY files and media, not programs and games and stuff like that

Sorry I can't quote :)

And it will work Windows will install the drivers when you boot it's just like when you install the os.

The key is tight to the motherboard so what you said won't work.

So I need to buy a new OS...

I am against pirating ( ;)  ) but let's say I was to find windows 7 off of a webpage (i.e pirate bay), can I then upgrade to windows 10?

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

Sorry I can't quote :)

And it will work Windows will install the drivers when you boot it's just like when you install the os.

The key is tight to the motherboard so what you said won't work.

I am against pirating ( ;)  ) but let's say I was to find windows 7 off of a webpage (i.e pirate bay), can I then upgrade to windows 10?

Only windows 10 is tied to the motherboard

if you install windows 7 or 8.1 and activate it with your laptop key then you should get the option to upgrade to windows 10 for free on your new PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I am against pirating ( ;) ) but let's say I was to find windows 7 off of a webpage (i.e pirate bay), can I then upgrade to windows 10?

No it has to be activated :)

But you can just download a Windows 10 install tool from Microsoft and you can use that without a key but you still need to buy a key.

I bought a lot of keys from Reddit I don't know if it is completely legal but they work :)

Only windows 10 is tied to the motherboard

if you install windows 7 or 8.1 and activate it with your laptop key then you should get the option to upgrade to windows 10 for free on your new PC

Ow sorry I didn't knew that... :/

EDIT: I think OEM keys won't work? But it's also not legal to reuse OEM keys on a different pc

I am not really sure what you want to do

1. You plan to use your harddrive with a fresh installation of Windows => Will totally work
  2. You plan to unplug your drive and plug it into your Desktop => Will not work (Due to a multitude of reasons)

However, You can just reuuse your Windows Key for a fresh installation on your Desktop if your are not running an OEM version.

If you don't have a platform independent version of windows you can just buy a new windows 8.1 release. They are as cheap as 30€ for 8.1 professional.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

Windows 8.1 should transfer just fine, provided that the computer that previously ran it is no longer running 8.1. I had a laptop that i upgraded to windows 10 then I built my desktop.  I was able to use that key to activate my windows, it took a little messing around to get it. If you call microsoft what they will tell you is to install your original operating system, so if that was windows 8.1 then thats what you need to install on your new computer. if it was 7 then 8.1 then that is how you have to install it.  Once you activate it on that computer then you can go back and reinstall as windows 8.1 and move to 10 if you wanted. This worked for me.

Desktop driver, laptop driver what?

And you'll see Windows will notify it is not activated

Yes, i need to install the desktop driver but system work just fine after that, no need to uninstall old laptop drivers except some that run software on startup like Touchpad/OSD/Etc. 

I simply re-activate my window.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I am not really sure what you want to do

1. You plan to use your harddrive with a fresh installation of Windows => Will totally work
  2. You plan to unplug your drive and plug it into your Desktop => Will not work (Due to a multitude of reasons)

However, You can just reuuse your Windows Key for a fresh installation on your Desktop if your are not running an OEM version.

If you don't have a platform independent version of windows you can just buy a new windows 8.1 release. They are as cheap as 30€ for 8.1 professional.

I mean the 2nd one.

Not in Greece the OS isn't that cheap. Prices start at the 100 mark... fml

I mean the 2nd one.

Can't you just buy an international version over the web? As far as i know Windows is not region locked, or is it? (Didn't buy Windows in a long time...)

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

I mean the 2nd one.

You van buy one from reddit but I don't know if it is completely legal... I think so and you hav to trust the person but as I said I bought multiple keys from one person.